Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Learned something new

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Learned something new
January 07, 2012 08:37PM
Hunted an old park today and had a bad time with the CZ3D falsing at the end of my swing to the left side, I posted on this 2 months ago but have lived with it by reducing the sens. Well I stopped off at the detector shop on the way home and was discussing the falsing with one of the guys there, he said lets try something. Long story short the box is hip mounted on the left side of my belt, so he moved it to the right side, which moved the falsing to the right side. Problem identified, but not solved.. I really like the hip mount setup, and was wondering if there is a way to shield it from the coil?? By the way got a decent 1907 indian head.
Re: Learned something new
January 07, 2012 09:38PM
Chest mounting? Lengthening the shaft? Actually I would expect that if you belt mounted directly under your swinging arm, you should be able to keep the coil at an equal distance for the control unit and not get a false signal from it. If only theory and reality were better friends, sigh.
GL & HH!
PastTom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 07, 2012 10:19PM
I believe it. I have to drag my shovel behind me or the cz will sound off from it. I wonder if Pasttom has the solution by lengthing the shaft or chest mount. I find when I hip mount the cz, left side, the controll head/box is somewhat in the way when switching to my left arm.
January 08, 2012 12:07AM
I suspect that there are two ways to stop the CZ from detecting itself without needing any physical detector modifications.... move the control box to your back side and allow your body to absorb the detector's signal or reduce the length of your coil's swing on the side where the control box is mounted . smiling smiley
January 08, 2012 01:22AM
Just sitting here visualizing... any chance your coil cable is drooping on the controller side of your swing? Going over the physics of it all, that would account for things better than anything else I can think of.
just thinkin'

PastTom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
January 08, 2012 03:18AM
I don't know if the coil is just picking up the control box(metal components) or whether it is EMI from the box. Pasttom I'm 5'6", so the shaft is set fairly short, I will try and extend it some, maybe it will move to coil far enough to make a difference. If it is EMI, maybe there is a way to shield the box. thanks for all the replies.
January 08, 2012 06:31AM
Well, I am 5' 9" and I run my cz-5 (all my MDs actually) at their longest extention. It is just more comfortable for me. Any way it should be doable.
PastTom

Past(or)Tom
January 08, 2012 06:37AM
hi there
to overcome the problem you can mount the control box upside - down under the armrest on the S-rod...... it works great for me..
sort of "Quicksilvering your CZ - the Sovereign Way"

-no trouble with cable twisting and you get good balance and ergonomics too

trond
January 09, 2012 11:50PM
May be your swing technique, as moving the control box moved the side falsing occured. Here's part of a post from guru Monte:

Reverse-direction falsing:
Depending upon the ground mineral conditions, the presence of nearby trash, the Ground Balance setting and the Sensitivity and Discrimination levels used, it can be common to get a false 'beep' when reversing the sweep direction due to the pause at the end of the sweep. Much will depend, too, on the sweep speed, but if you're running close to the stability point then the detector can purr along rather smoothly when sweeping it over the ground because it's busy dealing with the ground signal processing.
When you stop and pause to reverse the sweep direction, there isn't any signal to be dealt with and many detectors might spit and sputter a bit. Different sizes and/or types of coils might also be more susceptible to such brief chatter. So, if you've checked the tightness of the rod-locks and cable connector as Ricky mentioned, but still have some issues, just modify your sweep speed, make a slow almost-pause while still moving the search coil and not an abrupt stop-and-start at the end of the sweep. Also, maybe reduce the Sensitivity a little, if needed.
Monte