Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom I have a question can you help!

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom I have a question can you help!
November 29, 2008 05:10PM
My friend and I went out to the old camp that we found that dates back to the 1830s. It had rained the night before not really heavy rain but a light steady rain.

I have the F75 my friend the CZ3 and he used the small coil. So I read your post on mono tone and disc 6 and set out to see how it worked. I was not able to use a sens of more then 80 and we really hunted this sight hard for the last two years. We have pulled out buttons, mini balls, coins from half dimes to caps to a french frank all dating from 1834- 1849 and belt buckles with eagles that are pre gold rush.

This trip we found buttons from the 1800s mini balls, and I also found the device they use to measure the powder they poor from a powder flask. No coins or buckles. My friend also found a device that you poor in the lead to make mini balls.

I will make a you tube video ASAP to share with your great forum. My question is on the mono tone I had to stayed glued to the display and I had to really slow down when I found a two way beep. A lot of the beeps were scratchy.

There were targets all over the place a lot from square nails so you had to really keep your eye on the display looking for VDI of say mid 20 and above. A lot of targets read 6-8 and I didn't dig any of those.

So it is slow going and I guess that is what it takes to pull out what I got. We thought the rain may have not helped the ground matrix with the iron being i so old maybe causing more masking and the iron bleeding from the ground being wet?

My friend CZ3 will use very little sens maybe 0-2?

So I did try AM and I could hear zip zip but not sure which zip is a good zip with out looking at the meter. The nice thing about tones is they give you a heads up. But I didn't use any tones because I could not get my sens past 80.

Would there have been a better way to have hunted that site? We also hit a school we found from the 1800s and we could not pick up anything. My detector would hit one way and then the target would be gone. The ground must have been hot too hot. I have had this happen before at a few sights and I thought up in the Gold Country the ground can get really hot any ideas?

Is there a detector out there that is better for this type of hunting or is the F75 about as good as it gets.

When the day was over I told my friend that having found what we found was about as good as it gets in this hobby.

But he is always thinking outside the box. He is thinking maybe pluse induction is a better way to hunt but I told him he would have to dig every target.

We have the uniprobe and you can get a 8 inch coil for it but no disc so wouldn't he be digging all day and a load of trash.

Thanks Tom.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 05:25PM by Lawrenzo.
Re: Tom I have a question can you help!
November 30, 2008 11:48AM
Rain/moisture will "activate" the iron...... especially the oxides of iron and cause erratic detector performance.

Also, a Disc setting of '6' is perfect for discriminating out almost all small iron (usually nails) in almost every case. You might be running into the 'exception' whereas you need a Disc setting of '7' to disc out your specific era nails in your area.

..... and hunting in a nail-infested area in the All Metals mode with your face glued to the VDI is feutal. I would stay in the Disc mode ..... but try different Disc settings (that are close to a Disc setting of '6') and attempt to get the unit to settle down..... where the iron trash are short length audio duration 'snap-crackle-pops' and the longer length audio duration responses grabbing your attention for further investigation. In extremely high iron trash environments.......... especially with rain/moisture in the ground.......... you may not be able to run your Sens at higher settings. Your depth capabilities are already reduced/crippled by severe masking....... NOT by a lower Sens setting. In this case...... setting the controls on your detector to "just below your fatigue factor" should be your optimal settings. Monotone & Disc '7'..... or Multitone & Disc '7'.

If your area is infested with iron items OTHER than nails...... such as larger iron items....... RR spikes, axe-heads, steel files, slag, iron flashing strips etc...... this can be a major problem..as they are nearly impossible to Disc out. Although I don't recommend it..... you could try the 'BC' mode on the F-75.

Right now.... the F-75/T-2 is about as good as it gets for the type of site you are attempting to hunt...... as far as the iron handling capabilities. I commend you for trying to push-the-envelope in this heavily detected old era area. This is how you REALLY learn the unit..... including it's language.

In summation; I surmise a Disc '7' setting in concert with dry (no rain) dirt conditions would provide better results.

Tom