Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New NEL ( Ukraine ) AT Pro/Gold and more Coils (HUGE) Available Now ???

Posted by mcgov51 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New NEL ( Ukraine ) AT Pro/Gold and more Coils (HUGE) Available Now ???
January 21, 2012 08:31PM
Just gleaned this information from an Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting web site: [forum.kimbucktwo.com]

It says:
"Our std sizes will be 12", 15" and 18" round. Spiderweb design, we call 'em the "Tarantula". For prospecting units, we'll be making 15x3, 18x5 & 24x8 rectangular coils, both DD and concentric."

That is message i got from the coil company, they not from garrett, being made by a Australian firm (PM Coils) at his point in time. Due out in April at this stage as well.
So hopefully they do come through with this.

[pulsematecoils.webs.com]

that is pricing on their pi coils, would expect similar cost for the AT and Scorpion coils.

*** McGov51 Notes: The connectors are proprietary to Garrett only. So direct permission will be needed
or one that fits will need to be designed/manufactured by this company ( PM Coils ).
If they go through with it . . . . I hope.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 01:57AM by mcgov51.
coils
January 22, 2012 12:50AM
As popular as the AT series is, I would think there should be alot of coils coming down the pipe.
Re: New "Aussie" AT Pro (HUGE) Coils Coming out in April ???
January 22, 2012 01:31AM
The key to third party coils is the water tight special connector. I was under the impression Garrett would not let others manufacture them. Personally I would love to have an extension cable to chest mount the AT Pro. I hope Garrett is indeed loosening the noose and sharing their hardware.
January 22, 2012 03:50AM
The key to 3rd party coils is.............. the RL/RC electronics that are built in to the actual coil(s)..................... that.................... usually............ is corporate proprietary intellectual property. ((( It is a bit difficult to acquire..... but can be reverse-engineered ))).
January 22, 2012 02:05PM
Lets put it this way Garrett may have rushed the AT pro and had their problems but being the quality company they are..... worked with the consumer which had to cost big bucks but in the end emerged a quality unit at a price better than half the price of its competitors.

Just not a fan of swinging a garbage can lid for depth but imagine they will be a quality coil and surprised Sunray among others hasn't come out with their versions.
January 22, 2012 04:22PM
I wouldn't mine having a 3x15 coil, put razors on it and I could cut the grass in the front yard smiling smiley, seriously, it would be nice to try it in some fields, I think they other sizes would be to heavy to swing for a long time, I have a couple of other big coils and don't use them so much because of the weight, and I got Poppie arms
January 22, 2012 06:08PM
As far as the painful start Garrett went through but made good on all promises and . . . what we have now
as far as reasonable value and performance . . . I agree totally. My first unit (AT Pro) arrives Weds.

Future aftermarket coils for the AT Pro . . . if someone comes up with a better coil that can punch a few inches deeper
and not cause any problems with my other AT functions e.g.VDI, falsing etc. I'm buying it . . . at a reasonable price.

But as NASA-Tom mentions above about the importance of the internal RL/RC . . . there's a whole lot more to it than
coiling wire around a larger hula hoop.

The short vid PMCOILS shows with one of their experimental coils on an Infinium demonstrates that they have a long way
to go. What was shown was a very crude example that they basically have the ability to successfully connect their coil to
a waterproof Garrett unit. . . and that's about it. The audio feedback you could hear seemed to be incoherent to MD'g?

Don't know how much of an improvement their products are known to provide to other units but ??? They do make coils for
Minelab and they are Aussies so we'll see . . .April is <90 days away.
January 23, 2012 04:48PM
Will be interesting to see what comes down the pipe in aftermarket coils and accessories for the AT series. I imagine the SEF coil people are probably getting something in the works as well. It would have to be lighter than the stock 8.5x11 though.....on the chassis of the AT Pro, even that coil is very unbalanced. May be in part due to it being weighted to help swing in water or additional sealing to keep it water proof. If they make a larger coil it really wouldn't be useful in water so maybe it will be lighter. And or....somebody completely overhaul the rod configuration like you have to do on an Excalibur in order to make it halfway huntable.
January 23, 2012 07:27PM
Regarding these bigger coils, does anyone know why some machines get quite a bit more depth from bigger coils and other machines don't? I mean, rule out different coils or inferior coils, but it does seem some machine get quite a bit more depth where as others don't. For example, I've seen videos of the Ace 250 and Omega 8000 with a larger NEL getting incredible depth. I wonder if it has to do with transmit power or the like?

Thanks,
EMS
January 23, 2012 08:10PM
theyre all jumping on the bandwagon for add on coils but improvements are marginal and on the bigger SEF coils i have tried even worse than the smaller original coil ...buyer beware
March 24, 2012 12:16PM
Well because I first reported it due to a post I read in Austrailia I decided
to follow up with our Aussie brothers . . . and posted the ***following message
over there.

( Note: I'm not really all that interested anymore if they do offer some new coils
or not. I don't feel it will make much difference. Nothing is going to make an AT Pro
act like a F-75 ).

*** Is this company ( PM Coils ) going to be offering the coils as mentioned
in this post for the AT Pro or does this post just end here as a rumor ??

Can anyone offer any information please. April is almost here.

Happy Hunting to All.
March 24, 2012 02:04PM
I did remember this thread. Nice of you to follow up. I hope you get an answer.
March 24, 2012 07:26PM
The Omega seems to respond nicely to additional coils. Whether from First Texas or aftermarket. Like you Earthman, I would like to know reasons why.
March 27, 2012 01:14PM
Well here's the reply I got from over there . . .

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 14:50 »

QuotePM coils, i spoke with them on saturday, end of april. told 4 weeks away still. is still on the cards.
March 30, 2012 03:10AM
Latest post from our Aussie bros. down under

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 00:19

Quote - I talked to him on facebook, pm coil guy. I am guessing its going to be around $300 to $400 for the coil.
That is hard for some people to deal with on a $594 detector but if the 18 inch dd coil is good it will help with gold hunting and beach detecting
March 30, 2012 03:20AM
18" . . . sounds awefully good for the beach to me.
Even if it's a bit heavy I am set up to handle it.
Price doesn't scare me . . . I'd expect at least an additional 3" - 4" out of it though.
Let's see how it turns out?
Who's gonna be first???
March 30, 2012 01:45PM
Those 3x15 and 5x18 coils sound like perfect sizes to me. I'm looking forward to the release.

HH
Mike
Re: New "Aussie" AT Pro/Gold and more (HUGE) Available Now ???
May 06, 2013 02:50PM
Just for chitts and giggles I revisited that 1 year old post this am and
found this !

Looks legit to me !

There's a you tube video within this post of a Russian guy air testing one
of the coils but it is unclear to me exactly what distances he is getting
with his particular test coins?

That was a 1 Meter wooden measuring stick ( 1M = 39" ) he was using
and he was hitting his larger targets at just about halfway so 19" - 20" ???

If I can achieve another 4" of depth I'm in for $150 - $250? We shall see ?

I hear the sounds ( same tone ) because he is using copper or brass coins?
But no view of the VDI so ?
I would like to see how it does with silver and gold ?

I see no size or weight specs for any of these coils?
Correction . . . I found more info . . . you have to do the compare coils option.

Weight 700.00gr 999.99gr 999.99gr
Dimensions (L x W x H) 12.00inch x 13.00inch x 0.00inch 15.00inch x 0.00inch x 0.00inch 15.00inch x 17.00inch x 0.00inch

Just finishing what I started . . .

[forum.kimbucktwo.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 12:39AM by mcgov51.
Re: New "Aussie" AT Pro/Gold and more Coils (HUGE) Available Now ???
May 07, 2013 01:51AM
WOW . . . increased depth +50% +70%
Was that a pin I just heard drop?
Not 1 comment . . . Hmmmmmm ?
Re: New NEL ( Ukraine ) AT Pro/Gold and more Coils (HUGE) Available Now ???
May 07, 2013 11:41AM
Well . . . Similar to what a lot of you folks are doing, I decided to take a chance.

15" Attack Coil ordered with 78" cable for chest mounting . . .
I have extended the rod out 3 extra clicks for a max. sweep.

This 15" NEL Attack Coil weighs either 700g or 800g ? . . . I have seen both figures quoted so . . .?
I have yet to weigh my stock 8.5 X 11 DD with the short cable so . . .? I have a fish scale coming.
They claim 50% depth increase on this particular coil . . . if I get 30% I will still be satisfied . . . and chest mounted.
Hell . . . I'll be happy with 25% ! . . . I airtest a nickle now at 13" with my 8.5 X 11 DD.

It's not all about . . . me . . . me . . . me.
How else should you behave to attract new people to this hobby? I share . . . honestly. AND besides . . .
This hobby is not cheap . . . I am a small fry in this shark tank and only have $ 3,000 worth of MD equip. and related
gear but . . . you have to make $ 4,000 to get your hands on $ 3,000 . . . right? That's a chunk of change isn't it ?

Hope that new $ 3,000 model everyone is waiting for comes out soon . . . HH to ALL . . . Especially the Newbies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 01:59PM by mcgov51.
May 07, 2013 12:13PM
Since I have an AT-Pro I'll be interested in your in ground results. Would be interesting to see what it can do on a beach!
May 07, 2013 01:34PM
Sailorman - I was there ( salt water ) 2 wk ends ago and using my stock 8.5 X 11 DD.
It was quite as a mouse . . . even on the wet slope and in the water. I was surprised.
Over the winter Garrett did a complete check up and calibration . . . and obviously it
turned out awesome. However, the stock coil wears me out in no time so I went looking
for a belt mountable replacement coil. The NEL showed up just in time . . .

The larger NEL Coil . . . I am well read enough to say that when you get into these
really large coils you have to be careful because . . . the larger you go . . . the more
difficult it is for that coil to detect small objects and yes you are right it will have to
deal with a larger amount of mineralization too due to its larger footprint . . . and there
is really no guarantee for increased depth even though they claim 50% BUT

My stock 8.5 X 11 DD coil detects everything I need it to detect . . . dime size and slightly
smaller and very good on small gold bands and silver coins. The 15" NEL is not that much
bigger.

If this NEL Coil will ???

Run nearly as smooth . . . AND
Give me 4" of increased depth . . . AND
Also detect accurately to that approximate small size . . . THEN
I will have hit a home run . . . for $200 . . . good value . . . which is what it takes to make me buy.

*And I get a cable long enough to chest mount the control head . . . which has been a bone of
contention ( good luck with that one . . . you younger kids . . . ask your grandfather ) not only
with me but hundreds of others . . . I am sure.

That's why I didn't go any bigger and rolled the dice on the 15" . . . there's a chance I may only hit
a single, double or triple instead of a home run but thats better than walking back to the dugout ?

Will share the air test data when the coil comes in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 02:21PM by mcgov51.
May 07, 2013 03:05PM
Let's See . . . Hmmmmmmmmmmm ?
X $0.25 a view
X 15 ( 15" Coil )
X 480 ( the amt of days I stuck with this post ) . . . carry the 5 . . . = Yikes

. . . HEY Tom lets work out some kind of PKG GPX Deal here ?

I can hear your voice from here . . . I should be paying you . . . right ?

RIGHT !
May 07, 2013 09:45PM
Didn't fully realize it but I have almost doubled ( 89% ) the size of the coil and amount of ground the coil will sample ?
If it is made well and they have done their home work? . . . It will run smooth enough to use where and when I need it.
Then again . . . there will always be those days and locations . . . where nothing works . . . life is a beach.

Stock DD 8.5 X 11 = 93.5 sq. in.
The NEL 15" 3.14 X 7.5 X 7.5 = 176.7 sq. in.
May 10, 2013 04:03PM
Has anyone purchased the 15" Attack Coil for the ATPro or Gold and used it enough
to give a general opinion on such things as . . .

Depth
Weight
Stability
PP
GB
May 12, 2013 01:51AM
Weight analysis: ± .5 Oz.

Stock 8.5 X 11 = 21 Oz. / 600g
15" NEL = 28 Oz. / 800g
Contro Head = 21 Oz. / 600g with Audio Adapter Cable and Auvio Wireless TX

Well the 15" NEL will tax me by 7 more Oz. in weight BUT I get to take the control
Head off the stem and chest mount it . . . so I go from a total of 42 Oz. to 28 Oz.

This will allow me to swing a further extended stem and at almost 1 lb. lighter ( 14 Oz. ).

Works for me . . . This will be my best summer . . . for sure.

Will just need to keep the beast tamed and avoid any fights with the invisible EMI Monster
at the Bea och.

HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2013 02:11AM by mcgov51.
May 12, 2013 10:27PM
3 x 15 and 5 x 18 sounds like a great dry / damp beach sweeping coil to me !!...... Plenty or area covered ( no problem overlapping here ) and razor sharp accuracy due to the narrow coil !!...... Jim
May 13, 2013 10:33AM
Those are some incedible sizes. During my last trip to the beach last year . . .
I was swinging in the dry sand and along the top of the wet slope with my ATPro
and a guy passed me bye with one of those on a PI Unit . . . like I was standing still.

5 minutes later I looked up and he was a full 300 yards down the beach . . . still looking
fresh and like he could do that all day.

I have never looked into such a coil because I don't have a MD that can utilize that
type . . . but it sure looks efficient. Thanks for sharing.