Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TROY DETECTORS

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TROY DETECTORS
January 22, 2012 05:15PM
I was able to pickup an X5 with all the coils. I have not been able to get out with the unit because of the weather. But playing with the unit inside, show fantastic depth and control. Does anyone
have any tips for this unit that you would like to share?
Here are the specs for those of you who have never seen the unit.

Ultra-Light Weatherproof Design 2.5 lbs With Battery (May Vary Slightly)
Turn-On-and-Go Operation Fixed Pre-Set and Manual Ground Balance
Silent Search Operation All Modes of Operation
Adjustable Audio Threshold: All-Metal Auto Tune Operation
VLF Fast Response All Modes of Operation
Operating Modes: Normal Discrimination Fixed Pre-Set or Manual Ground Balance
Beach Discrimination Fixed Pre-Set or Manual Ground Balance
All-Metal Auto Tune (Motion) Fixed Pre-Set or Manual Ground Balance
Black Sand All-Metal Auto Tune (Motion) Manual Ground Balance
Target Check Fixed Pre-Set or Manual Ground Balance
VCO Pinpoint (Non Motion) Fixed Pre-Set or Manual Ground Balance

Audio Discriminator Full Range (All-Metal)
Ground Balance Fixed Pre-Set and Switchable 10 Turn Precision Ground Balance Control
Operating Frequency 19 kHz
Frequency Shifter 140 hz Above and Below 19 kHz
Standard Search Coil Waterproof 9-Inch Round Concentric Spider
Search Coil Compatibility 7-Inch Accessory Round Concentric and Future TCD Accessary Coils
Coil Cable Length Approximately 3 ft 6 Inches (42 Inches)
Audio Frequency Approximately 600 Hz Discrimination, 550 Hz All-Metal Auto Tune
Audio Output 1 ½ Inch Weatherproof Speaker and a ¼ Inch Weatherproof Headphone Jack
Headphone Compatibility Standard ¼ Inch Stereo Plug
Battery Requirement Single 9 Volt (Alkaline or Lithium)
Battery Life (Typical) 25 Hours (Alkaline); 50 hours (Lithium)
Battery Compartment Drop-In Weatherproof (No Wires or Connectors)
Battery Door Weatherproof with Positive Lock Fastener
Battery Test On-Demand Variable Audio Tone
Control Housing Internal RFI Shielding and Weatherproof
Pushbutton Switch Weatherproof
Toggle Switches Weatherproof With Internal 0-Ring in Actuator
Control Knobs With O-Ring & Tension Adjustable
Optimum Temperature 20 to 110 degrees F
Optimum Humidity 0 to 100% R. H.
Rod Design 3 Piece with Locking Ring Stabilizers
Arm Cup Adjustable, Forward & Backward and To Arm Size
Warranty Limited Lifetime
Re: TROY DETECTORS
January 22, 2012 05:32PM
Would like to add certainly well built and Troy had some good ideas...Has an excellent website just Google and lots of info to be had from his site....Been years since they were no longer made but Troy still will answer your telephone calls and a nice fellow to get info right from the horses mouth.
To me more of a relic unit and rather tedious hitting the coin check but some fabulous depth on low end range targets..
Understand Troy is working on a new unit but tough for the little guy in this economy but imagine if one does emerge it will be a dandy...
January 22, 2012 05:38PM
January 22, 2012 09:04PM
Troy recommended setting the GB slightly positive. When I had an X5 I spoke to him several times on the phone. I really wish I would have held onto mine....awesome machines. Troy is a bit of a perfectionist and everything has to be just right or he wont go with it. Plus there was some bad doings from folks that were bent on running him and his company into the ground. Great machines though and still if you find a used one, expect to pay $650+ for them.
January 22, 2012 09:39PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Troy recommended setting the GB slightly positive.
> When I had an X5 I spoke to him several times on
> the phone. I really wish I would have held onto
> mine....awesome machines. Troy is a bit of a
> perfectionist and everything has to be just right
> or he wont go with it. Plus there was some bad
> doings from folks that were bent on running him
> and his company into the ground. Great machines
> though and still if you find a used one, expect to
> pay $650+ for them.

Do you know if there is a good standard of testing to make sure it is working up to specs?

Thanks
Tom in SC
January 23, 2012 01:10AM
I've had an X-5 since they first came out and still have it. I missed not having tone ID but it is a very good machine. I hunt FL beaches most of the time and could rinse the maching at the showers as I left the beach. Light weight made it easy to detect all day. I would recommend a plastic cap for the descrimination toggle. It made my thumb a little sore after a while without it. Several of my club members went with me to find a lost diamond ear stud. Of the about 5 different detectors there, the Troy was the only one that was able to hear a similar stud. I could only get 3 inches on the stud but that was better than the rest. My goto machine is the CZ3D but I just can't quite come to parting with X-5

Suncoast Wally
January 23, 2012 01:52AM
Hey Tom one of my Favorite analog machine's.

Here's an airtest Video I did .....[www.youtube.com]

Here's a write up I did last year I believe it was...

Here's a couple of write up I did on the Shadow x-5 a couple of month's back...Great machine..Also just type Shadow in the search box there's a few thread's on it......

Not a lot of anything negative to say about them .....They are very light weight...Very well built with the highest tolerance part's and in a weather proof package....

They can still be serviced although they are not being built right now.....there was a total of like 2100 x5's built and I believe around 1000 or so x3's....

The best one to get is the X5 version.......

Troy was always listening to the feedback from other user's and also his finding's since he is also an avid detectorist.....

The first 300 were recalled for an iron disc circuit enhancement if you wanted it done...the ones after 300 serial number automatically got the enhancement....

to find out if the one you get hold of is modded if it's 300 or below is to look in the battery box and see if the letter H is in the on a white sticker...If it has the H it's been modded....

Beginning at 700 Troy added a internal preset threshold while in disc mode....The reason being was people would hunt all metal and keep the thresh set at a barely audible hum which is correct but when they went to disc mode the thresh also determined the audio target volume....."Tesoro calls this super tuning" But Troy had it set to a more stronger thresh point while in disc mode via a internal pot wired to the disc all metal switch......this allowed you to jump back and forth between mode's and get "super tuned" performance without changing you're thresh knob to get it while in disc mode....It also helped if you say by accident bumped the thresh knob negative causing a decrease in disc depth and not even noticing it......

{on a side not the Tesoro Tejon is built the same way that when in disc the thresh is set higher}

after 700 till 2100 I did not notice anything done to the design?

I myself like the 300 to 700 range the best or even a modded 1 to 300.....the reason being the iron disc did help a little on identifying deep nails at the minute cost of a little depth...But it could be gained back by super tuning the thresh for disc mode......after 700 it's set internal and set quite high but not as high as you can get it on you're on so there you get back a little extra punch...

You will also find the X5 likes high conductor's as well as low conductor's even though it's on 19khz!!! Troy himself I believe it was designed this boost circuit or at least helped work on it to an extent and it really does work....The X5 will offer some remarkable depth...Real deeeeeep.!!! on all conductor's and sizes of target's....

The only major drawback to the X5 is the lack of fine tuning ability in the nail range.....You will either dig nails or not but it's a very quick cutoff point one way or another ..Get it a hair high and the co-located targets will drop off quickly in nail infested sites.....But when it's right look out it will pull target's.....but remember when you change the Ground Bal.. you need to change you're disc because they are tied together in this particular circuit....It will dig most large iron when at nail disc with little or no hint of disc crackle to help you determine if it's iron...so also keep this in mind...

these High Freq power house detector's are really designed for worked out site's where all but the deepest faintest target's lay...

But it's great machine and hope to see something from Troy again in the near future...

There was a lot of war against a Tejon and a Shadow X5...I like the build of the X-5 but the Tejon with good strong batteries will see through the nails a bit better for low conductor's but the X-5 is the depth king..

The DD coil is the best out of them....

Kieth

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 01:56AM by Keith Southern.
January 23, 2012 02:48AM
Thanks for the info and links. Mine is one of the later units serial number is in the 1500's range. Can't wait to get out with it but I have a lot of reading to do. I really like the 10 turn GB control. I have thought of replacing the GB control on some of my other units to get a better control.

Thanks
Tom in SC
January 23, 2012 03:21AM
Troy had a device he sent me one time that was used to calibrate the units. It plugged into the control box via the coil connection point. What it done was it allowed the machine to not be affected by EMI...and you could turn the sensitivity up to a certain point without it getting erratic, etc. There was a whole check list but I'm sorry I can't be more help. This has been 10 yrs or so ago.