Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"F" Series

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"F" Series
January 26, 2012 02:51PM
A friend had contacted me by phone yesterday, (he was at the store when calling) and wanted to know what detector to buy. He accumulated enough points on a sporting goods card to buy a detector. He has never detected before.

The choices he had were f-4, f-5, and the f-70. They were the only ones in stock and he could only use that particular store.

Knowing at one time he was a electrical engineer, not pursuing that, he became an electrician and started a business. He recently retired and closed down his business. Knowing that, and also that he would be hunting inland, I ruled out the f-4 and said the f-5 is a good machine but the f-70 is the one I'd pick because it's basically a knock down version of the f-75 that I use.

If the store had the f-75 with boost mode I would have recomended he but that one.

I told him to read the manual till he understands it and to go on his property and experiment......sooo much to teach him, it will be a blast.

He said " I don't think I'll get into detecting as much as you". I said " After you dig your first 150 year old coin, then let me know". Jeez, I think I was more excited than him. Anyway, I'm about to call him to find out if he pulled the trigger.

I wanted to know if you guys think I made the right choice for him, out of the three detectors.
Re: "F" Series
January 27, 2012 05:41AM
yes! as you mentioned,it's basically a f-75 with less bells and whistles!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 27, 2012 01:04PM
I think the F70 is a great machine capable of holding its own against the best machines out there. I have, however, seen numerous posters on forums who have been disappointed by it. I have always wondered whether its their soil or the setting they use or maybe its that they couldn't understand the deeper targets. As someone just starting out I think its imperative that he use the default settings for as long as possible so he doesn't get overwhelmed the chatter of higher settings. It will perform at a decent depth(5"-6") and give him a chance to pinpoint and dig the "easy" stuff and learn how the ID numbers react to different targets. If he has any problems or complaints about it I will be glad to try and help. Where does your friend live?
January 27, 2012 02:12PM
Not a fan of the F series due to their build quality and EMI but of the 3 mentioned F70 probably the best of the lot but again for a newbie an F5 might be a better choice.

It seems like the F series are either a hate or love situation and many do well with them and indeed the detectorists neck of the woods and mineralization might be the reason and again whatever works comes to mind.

In my neck of the woods its Explorer country and heck my favorite the CZ is not the top unit for most either...
January 27, 2012 04:55PM
Limegold, he lives in SE Pa. I think he will figure it out with ease because of his backround and he is a patient man.

Dan-Pa, yes, only having three detectors to choose from, the f-5 would be the second choice. The 75 works well around here, so should the 70.

I also have an extra 11' dd and a 4x6" from my f-75 that will work on his (he did get it) f-70.
The f-70 comes stock with a 10" concentric, I believe.