Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question on the AT pro

Posted by John S 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question on the AT pro
February 04, 2012 05:53PM
Is anyone using the AT pro and if so how does it compare with the f75 or cz's for coin hunting on land ??? Thinking about getting one with a 6.5x9" concentric coil?? What do you think.
Re: Question on the AT pro
February 04, 2012 07:11PM
The At-PRO's are great machines for the money....

accurate I.D.
Great depth
superb Audio

In good ground the F-75/'s will be deeper...but if you have mineral's ...that will change quickly.. Thing's will even up and actually with the iron audio feature you will be a bit better in mineral's if they are real heavy...I say this because the iron audio has so much nuance to it that it actually talks volume's to you even on a simple deep iron grunt...In ither word's you can tell the deep iron grunt's are more round sounding and are good target's being mis I.D.'ed by soil condition's...the F-75 in bad dirt is still just a simple grunt for the most part less nuance on the same real deep bad ground target's ( it's also nuanced to a degree but takes more of a skilled ear to hear)...They both report the good target at depth as iron as most all Vlf's do but the AT-Pro pro iron audio convey's a little more info...

I hear people say that all they hear on there F-75's and T-2's and MXT's and other's with the iron audio feature is that they just hear iron all the time....Well thats actually a good thing...if it' is a single tone machine first off you will miss the habitation site's if your not careful and also you won't hear the good target's being called iron...

learn the audio variances of the iron tone and it will produce deeper than the single tone...This is where the AT-PRO can give a little more edge in bad ground...again either machine can hear the deepies but the At-PRO has a slight edge through the more shaping/sizing iron audio...

Also if it were me I would not want the 6x9 Concentric...I would opt for the 5x8 DD...It's on the same platform as the big 8.5 x11 stock coil...and alot of your performance is coming form the greatly engineered coil....These new DD's are cutting edge right now and they offer more than the older design's in my opinion...

Good dirt get a F-75 ...mineral dirt get a AT-PRO...water hunting on the agenda even if you have good dirt get the AT-PRO...

either one will perfom once learned...either one can out do the other if used properly...

They are very close as are all detector's once you get them in the dirt......it takes the operator's skill level and dedication to make the machine's do more than the original designer envisioned...

Just my take but see what other's comment on and you decide..

as far as the CZ I have never put alot of time on one...I relic hunt more than coin hunt...And it's forte' is Coin's....Put I might add the AT-PRO surprises me more on deep coin's than the F-75/T-2...for them both being close to the same freq.....

If you have got the means get all 3 and decide which one performs' best in you're area of hunting...

I know it's no practical sometimes to get all 3 but even 1 at a time for a couple of month's each and you will get and understanding of each one's weakness and strenght's...

I know people read alot into the forum's and that's great but it still boil's down to what works best for you not someone else...

All VLF's are very very close in perfomance...some have a little niche here or there for a certian thing and thats thing's for the user to discover along the way and make a mentla note of what the strongpoint of each unit is... But they all work on the same principal and as long as you are buying a top end unit they are close... I.E. dont buy a 2012 Wal -Mart discount line Bounty Hunter and expect performance like a 20 year old CZ it is not going to happen...The Wal-Mart discount line is a toy and the CZ/F-75/T-2/AT-PRO/MXT/V3i/Tejon etc.. etc.. are real professional instrument's and it will reveal it's self quickly in a real world hunt...

again just my take.

Keith
February 04, 2012 07:40PM
I have been using the AT pro for about a year now. I have been recently using it with the AT Gold stock coil the 5 x 8. This is a real nice combination. I have been getting very good target seperation with out sacrificing much depth after switching from the bigger stock coil.

At one time I had an F75 LTD. It was probably the most powerful detector I ever used. I don't think the AT Pro has that kind of power. I actually think it comes close to the same recovery speed though. And that is saying something. I also think the AT pro has better tones in the Pro mode than the F75. Now this could be an individual preference, but I have a much easier time distinguishing good from bad.

The weight of the F75 LTD is just as good as it is going to get. No other major brand name is close to the ergonomics with their top of the line units. I can swing the AT Pro for hours, but it is no F75 LTD.

There is something to be said for hunting in rainy weather or muddy fields and having no worries about your detector. When I come home I wash it lightly with the hose. I never have to deal with covers or fear a wave hitting it.

The AT Pro will handle minerals better than the F75 LTD. My observation of this is in the wet salty sand. The F75 was no fun in this environment. Reguardless of what you hear the AT Pro with a few adjustments does a fair job in the wet sand.

So that is my small comparison between two fine detectors. For raw power in good dirt nothing in the VLF world can beat an F75 LTD. But for many kinds of hunting including unmasking I think the AT Pro is a great detector for the price.
February 04, 2012 07:43PM
Keith, I see you talk about the MXT, not alot of people talk about it. It was Whites top of the line at one time. I have the MXT it is a grate coin detector,and i have found a lot of rings with it. It gose deep on gold, i found a gold hart that has 63 dimounds in it. It was about 14" deep, i almost gave up on it for i was in a city park, but it just keep sounding better and better. I just wounder if you used one. Flintstone
Hey Flintsone!!
February 04, 2012 09:01PM
The MXT and now the MXT-PRO which is actually the same machine with the much needed ground grab on display is probably the best machine white's has ever produced...

I have found lot's of relics with the MXT that I am convinced would not of been found as easily if I had been using another design....Especially a C.S.A. belt buckle.

The DD's really enhance the machine's and ther S.E.F's are the best thing I have encountered for the MXT.....the 8x6 S.E.F. is just a requirement for the mxt in my book....

It' will go down as a legend like the 1266 and Explorer put other company's in the lime light the MXT gave White's something to really brag about...

I like the way for relic hunting in the relic mode which is mixed mode all metal and disc together you can truly hear every target in the ground on the all metal channel at the same time you hear the disc channel...

I do not dig alot of nails with the machine but it's one of the best at letting me be selective on digging relic iron...items like lock plates and bayonet's and such that other machine's can not lock onto properly....and still let me bypass non relic iron....and it's still hot on low conductor's like button's and is fairly deep on coin sized object's...

here's an example of relic iron and one of my most prized possesion's a C.S.A. Belt Buckle

cant really think of a negative comment about the MXT....hope they never quit making it...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 09:05PM by Keith Southern.
February 05, 2012 12:50PM
Now that Garrett manned up and took care of the consumer and took the kinks out of the AT pro lots of bang for the buck but still think a larger screen would make it even better.

To me MXT is a user friendly XLT and capable of superior depth in the relic mode.

Its all about learning your unit and both units will produce once well learned.

Tough to beat a CZ for user friendly depth.

I know my post is short and sweet just calling it like it is without going into all the technical aspects as I leave that for the tech guys and again so many units so little time...or for that matter only so much bucks available or only so much room for the arsenal before the better half has you sleeping on the couch...LOL.....are we having fun yet....
February 05, 2012 03:30PM
Hi Dan, I also have a CZ6a that i just got back from Tom, he said it was a keeper,12.3". Can,t wait to get out and use it. have been down with nerve damage in my right arm, but getting better. I have made a hip mount for the CZ6a so i can use better. I have the MXT not the pro, but have fround coins and rings at very good deepth, hope the CZ dose better. Flintstone
February 05, 2012 08:32PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
only so
> much room for the arsenal before the better half
> has you sleeping on the couch...

No worries there...what once was a closet full of 3 dozen plus pairs of shoes and dresse's,,,is now my "ARSENAL", filled with the ultimate set of tools...
Im out the door for a night hunt.
HH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 08:37PM by Aaron.
February 06, 2012 12:16PM
Yes Dan I think the CZ's are the deepest, just try the 10 1/2" coil on a CZ. Very deep , just not good in trash with the 10". I have had a lot of detectors but the cz with the 10 1/2 " coil will go deeper where I live then any other detector.
February 06, 2012 01:19PM
Summing it up Explorer may have the best guts in the industry in a heavy poorly weighted cosmetic shell and gives a lot of info but a CZ is tough to beat coil for coil in user friendly fashion when it comes to depth and does it in dual fashion with silver and gold whereas the Explorer is a little weak in the lower segment of the meter for gold.

MXT is a multi purpose unit and although noisy in the dual tone relic mode give nice depth but can't compare to a CZ.

As always Garrett makes good products and certainly in its price range is tops now that Garrett has ironed out the bugs and taken care of the consumer.

Many good units out there old and new and usually the nut behind the wheel is responsible for making the most out of their abilities.

The days of having half a dozen units are over as my time in the field is limited as age has slowed me down but still in their swinging even if just for short trips and the 8 hour days are a thing of the past.
February 07, 2012 12:42AM
If you want a At Pro I have one for sale I just got it back from Garrett in Jan it has the new cams and is under warranty until Jan 2014,laid off and need the cash. $425.00 plus$15 for shipping.
February 07, 2012 03:07AM
There you go Phil
February 07, 2012 05:43PM
No I had no problems with the AtPro I just wanted to get the cam locks and the 2 year extended warranty, I have pictures posted on Treasure Depot and treasurenet, I have had it in the gulf of Mexico and a fresh water lake in Nc. No water issues with it, I know the previous early versions did. I failed to mention it comes with the Garrett headphones also. Greg