Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just sent my Omega 8000 to Fisher Repair Lab

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just sent my Omega 8000 to Fisher Repair Lab
February 07, 2012 12:48AM
I don't know if it was caused by the tumble that I took down the Tennessee Riverbank, but it could have been the reason for the unit to start acting erractically at times even in situations of no EMI. Sometimes, when pushing ground grab buttone with coil held out from me at eye level, the unit will sound off the everload sond and will not let me ground balance, I was honest with Felix and told him that the unit landed in real deep mud. Can anyone with experiece with Fisher Labs customer service tell me how long that I will have to wait??? Thanks .......Kevin

PS: How many inches will the Omega air-test a clad dime?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2012 12:52AM by Kevin B.
Re: Just sent my Omega 8000 to Fisher Repair Lab
February 07, 2012 04:31AM
Well, my first question would be, did it have the 11 inch coil? The next question, did you ever place the coil under water? I actually killed my G2 coil submerging it in a rushing stream to clean the mud off of the coil. My coil was full of water. The water moved when shaking it in the air and it gave off the EMI type noise we sometimes hear. The overload signal went away after the coil dried out some, but the EMI symptoms forced me to send it to Fisher. They replaced my coil very quickly. This is my guess about your situation. If your answer was no to my first couple of questions I still bet your problem is coil related. Fisher is good about letting you know if they send you a new coil. They actually provided me with a new serial number for my replacement coil. Good luck, please let us know how things turn out. I am betting on Fisher taking care of you in fast fashion.

Don
February 07, 2012 01:56PM
Unfortunately the winter off season they get awful busy and imagine downtime varies.

Material things are one thing but hope you did not hurt yourself in the tumble and imagine any type of jar or the like could put any unit down and a broken solder joint comes to mind firsthand.

As far as testing for depth all areas differ and depends on your settings and test it in the ground preferably in the field.
February 07, 2012 02:36PM
I think 10.5" air test on a clad dime with concentric stock coil.
February 07, 2012 04:44PM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think 10.5" air test on a clad dime with
> concentric stock coil.

I sincerely apppreciate all replies. And this one in particular. It gives me a standard, a starting point with which to measure from. And my unit, with stock concentric coil, would not air test a dime to anywhere near 10.5 inches. It started fading out at just under 8 inches. Water in the coil?? A possibilty. I always wash the coils of my detectors under the outdoor spigot. I always thought that the coils where 100 per cent waterproof. I don't know where I got that from. I hunt with dew on the ground many times and the coil will be soaking wet in seconds after starting to sweep.
But anyway, maybe Fisher Labs will come though and I will get to see hopw and why the Omega got such a good name as a detector.
February 07, 2012 11:34PM
Kevin --

The coils are supposed to be waterproof. I think FT had a bad batch of 11" DD coils for the "Frat Bros/Greek Series," that leaked, but that is the only "coil" waterproof issue I've personally heard of. Bottom line, is, I'm THINKING (could be wrong, but don't think so) that the coils ARE supposed to be waterproof, and if yours "leaked," it will I think be replaced under warranty. Let us know -- I am betting you will be happy with FT service.

Steve
February 08, 2012 04:07AM
I've got confidence in Fisher Labs. Heck, if they charge me. I deserve it, since I told them about taking that plummet down about a 15 ft straight up river bank. I fell to the water's edge where the mud is like quicksand.. Thje Omega was half buried.. It started runnuing relly erractically after that. Thanks for everyones replies. I belive theyll take care of me. Heck, I have owned 2 Fisher F75SE's, 2 Teknetics G2's, one omega, so it's not like I'm not a big fan of their gear!! Maybe they'll take that into consideration. Have a nice nite.
February 10, 2012 12:57AM
I had the same problem with my G2 acting erratic I sent it in and they replaced a bad diode. Works great 3 rings and counting for the year.
February 21, 2012 05:19PM
I just talked to Felix and he said that my unit would be completed today. And even though the fault was mine, since I fell down a riverbank to water's edge, there would be no charge on the repair. I thought that was awsome and thanked Felix profusely. I am anxious to see how the Omega likes iron nail beds. I saw a U-Tube video of a guy putting a nail on top of a coin and the Omega hit the coin!!!! Wow. If that is the case, I sould see or hear alot more non ferrous coming from my famed nail bed site that has produced some great finds.
February 21, 2012 05:38PM
Excellent news, Kevin...I continue to be impressed with Fisher's repair department...

Steve
February 22, 2012 05:13AM
Felix and the service department are nice to deal with, the T2 needed serviced , could"nt find origInal box ,they sent it back with new headphone jack and new box, all in a timely manner!( thanks Teknetics ) .- guess they didnt think much of the vacuum box i sent it in ?($=1-way shipping)
February 22, 2012 03:55PM
Just curious, what ever happened with the gent who sent in his CZ-3d for repair and upon its return was only getting 8" on a dime (was getting 10" prior)? I know Mike Scott pm'd him to correct the matter but don't recall hearing the outcome. I would like to think the matter was resolved... or was it???
February 22, 2012 05:05PM
11dd leaky coil in G2
coil is not waterproof
end of the film-----
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 05:07PM by Denari.
February 22, 2012 05:44PM
Denari --

Haven't watched the video, but those coils are SUPPOSED to be waterproof, no? I think I heard there was a batch awhile back that "weren't," but were supposed to be (and thus should be replaced under warranty...)

Am I mistaken here?

Also, I'd like to know the outcome on that CZ-3D as well, that schultzie just mentioned...

Steve