Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

E-Trac and discrimination

Posted by John 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
E-Trac and discrimination
February 17, 2012 03:07PM
Would like some input on the amount of disc some of you are using vs the type of sites you are hunting.
A recent post,brought to mind, how I use to hunt with other machines before my venture with the E-Trac. Hunting areas where iron/nails are prevalent, I used just enough disc to make a small nail break up. Have any of you tried this with the E-Trac, is it possible??
I have used TTF with minimal disc, but then I ask myself, what use is it since the E-Trac already decides the break on line 17. I think, at this point, I like multi tones conductive, and have found a bit more. But, with multi tones conductive, I still use a disc pattern similar to the factory coin mode. Maybe I need to try less disc??
Frankly,Im beginning to think/realize maybe I bought the wrong machine for the places I like to hunt. But, I couldnt help reading and seeing (videos) of coins being pulled out of the ground with co located iron and somtimes the coins would even have iron stains on them. Was I a sucker in believing this?? Or, am I still struggling,finding a setting that works for me??
Thanks,
John
Re: E-Trac and discrimination
February 17, 2012 03:35PM
Keep it simple John.....perhaps an Explorer series is not for you as a user friendly CZ might serve you better or perhaps a Whites or Garrett or Tesoro etc. etc.
We all hear tones different and would experiment with variability and I set mine at 8 and iron just sounds a tad different than a silver coin and I prefer Conduct in using an Explorer.
February 17, 2012 03:51PM
Thanks Dan. There are several things about the E-Trac I like,just having trouble making it come together for me. I really like the tones of the machine, compared to what Ive used thus far, which mainly have been Whites. I like the 2D screen, and thus far its weight hasnt been an issue,but I do dig a great deal, and that breaks the swinging up for me.
I almost went for a T2 Se,F75ltd or CZ 3D (ive never owned a Fishers). I gave in, tho, and went for a minelab.
Gonna stick with the E-Trac for a long spell. By the time the new Fisher comes out, I will have some cash stashed back and maybe try a Fishers.
Thanks much,
John
February 17, 2012 04:16PM
Tones are where its at and a dime or quarter should stop you in your tracks....using Conduct...

If you have a beach nearby where digging is easy...will really help investigating all the hits.

Last but not least a couple of trips with a good mentor(priceless) and will really shorten your learning period..
February 17, 2012 05:08PM
John,

Nothing can replace experience/skill-set. You will find that via a few hunts...... digging MANY targets...... and paying particular attention to 'how' the detector responded............ can carry a long way. Trying different settings on any one particular target of interest....... can help the learning curve. A good test-garden is also a priceless learning tool.
February 18, 2012 12:57AM
John, I would recommend a disc setting as follows. Blacken the 01-01 line 01-39, next blacken the entire 50 line(far right hand colummn). Finally blacken the 25 ferrous down to 35. If your are finding good targets at your site with the above disc and it has a lot of iron you should consider opening your disc up to 27 ferrous and take note of high tone conductive numbers with ferrous numbers that tend to hang around the 26/27 value. If you get one of these (hangers) go to quick mask and sweep that baby many times and see if the ferrous numbers will jump toward the middle/top of the screen. If it does dig. If it don't jump up but jumps down to say 31-35 I would walk. If it seems to stay in the 27/28 area and don't want to seem to budge and it keeps giving a high tone at precisely the same spot, dig. I can't prove it but I think what causes these hangers is a combination of iron/ground mineralization/target depth. Running the above 2 different disc settings will make your machine more noisy especially the second one, but that's the price you will have to pay to recover the good targets sometimes.