Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

False signals,

Posted by John 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
False signals,
February 18, 2012 04:19PM
Well, I am sorry, forgive me of my ignorance. I just posted a question on coils and falsing on the E-Trac and as I hit the forum post button, this question pops into my mind,lol, sorry.
What makes a machine or some machines false more than others? I know, running it hot has much to do with it, and some machines just operate more out there on the edge of the envelope,than others. And, can coils have anything to do with the falsing issue and why? If one coil, on the same machine,with same level of operation choices, false less than another coil, Is the coil which is falsing less,reducing the level of sensitivity/signal being sent into the ground?
I read so much on detectors themselves, and have learned very much. And I have read comparisons of coils, but never a really in depth discussion of the why. Why is that coil better/worse/same.

Kind of hijacking my own thread,for me one question leads to another. As, some of the machines and coils being made by manufactors seem to be attempting to improve operation in the hotter harder to hunt in soils/ground; Does this/these type of equipment run/operate differently in a milder environment. I guess what I am asking, is it overkill for a milder soil type and does that effect its operation, lessen it, improve it?
Thanks,
John
Re: False signals,
February 18, 2012 04:48PM
Couple of aspects:

Large coils just see more ground...

Your swing has to be even to the ground...if you pick up at the end it can lead to false hits.

Explorers hate air so I actually scrub the ground with mine and let it a little loose to ride even and that helps to compensate for the heavy unit.

Some units are just more powerful than others and may be hitting a deep horshoe or perhaps a buried 57 chevy.

Frequencies have a lot to due with falsing depending on the EMI lurking.

Some coil due to their makeup may false more in your area.

Just a general rundown and expect more input rel falsing...
February 18, 2012 05:01PM
hahaha, Ive found horse shoes, but no 57 chevy!!!!
I finally have a 3 day weekend. Rain,rain,rain. I managed about 2 hours of hunting yesterday and hunted a old school site south of town. I dont think Ive ever been in a spot that had as many crushed aluminum cans as that spot. Found a few clad, before the rain got here.
John
February 18, 2012 07:48PM
John --

You asked this question above, as one of the questions you had, but I would like to re-iterate this, as I wonder this also. If the 11" Pro coil is shown to be more "falsy" (not sure if it is or not, but have heard so) than the 10x12 SEF coil, being run at the same sensitivity, does this mean that the 10x12 coil is less SENSITIVE, or no -- in other words, could the DESIGN of the coil make it less "falsy," but still just as "hot" as the Pro coil, or is the greater "stability" of the coil due to it being less "sensitive?"

Steve
February 18, 2012 10:57PM
Don't know all the technical jargon behind it, but my 10x12 sef is hotter on deep silver dimes versus procoil. Now if that dang sef coil just weighed the same as the procoil that would be nice. It may have something to do with the fact the sef coil is actually a cross between a concentric and dd coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 11:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 18, 2012 11:21PM
Tnsharpshooter, any chance you can tell me or direct me to the info on the hybrid coil? Or anyone?
February 19, 2012 04:32AM
I may have used the wrong term to describe the sef coil. I have seen some folks describe it as a hybrid, as well as a double d butterfly coil. Do some searches on detech coils and see what comes up. It has something to do with the back of the Ds on the coils being overlapped versus back to back like a normal dd coil.