Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The coins you have not found yet

Posted by gman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The coins you have not found yet
February 21, 2012 10:02PM
This is not a wish list, but rather what coins in your area that escaped your grasp.

Most of my found coins fall into the late 1800s

My oldest , a 1723 King George and a fair number of Large Cents but still looking for a Draped Busted Cent
I have more V Nickles than any other but no Shielded Nickels

I wonder if some coins just did not circulate as much in some parts of the country in the same time period
Re: The coins you have not found yet
February 22, 2012 01:06AM
For me I'll take anything in the 1800's and earlier here in middle Tn. Oldest so far 1845 seated libert dime. Money was not as plentiful here back then, plus the fields were worked more by slaves. In the northeast and midwest, that's where the real money was/is. Plus the soil there is generally a lot better/milder than it is here. But go 70 miles east/southeast/south from here and the soil is hot to super hot. If I lived there I would not metal detect. I hear Knoxville to Chattanooga down to Birmingham is a real hotbed to detect in.
February 22, 2012 01:13AM
One coin that should NOT be that hard, even here in the fairly "new" state of Oklahoma, but has eluded me thus far, is a Standing Liberty Quarter, for whatever reason.

Here's the list of coins I'm really interested in finding next, in order from the easiest, to the "dream coin..."

1. Standing Liberty Quarter
2. Seated Liberty Dime
3. silver dollar (Peace or Morgan)
4. Gold coin (any denomination)

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 03:23PM by steveg.
February 22, 2012 03:33AM
If ya promise not to laugh, a silver washington quarter. Haven't dug one in my 4 yr's in Idaho. Got the seated/standing quarters. Go figure.
February 22, 2012 03:52AM
mine are pretty high on the list, A Mass Silver, 20 cent piece, or a busted silver, dug just about every thing else, earliest coin is a 1657 laird, the town I live in was establish in 1658, and I wanted a coin just as old, so bad this place is a city now, the stuff that is under all the pavement sad smiley
February 22, 2012 01:10PM
I have yet to find a silver dollar, 3-Cent nickel or $1 gold coin. Silver dollars primarily circulated out west.

TIP: Remember........... paper currency was virtually nonexistent in the 1800's.... and earlier. And what little paper currency there was........ was not respected/trusted. Would you trust:

First Bank Of Richmond
First Bank Of Charlotte
First Bank Of Baltimore
Confederate States Of America
Merchant Cash Redeemable

....... and the list goes on. And remember........ all of the above...... was not FDIC, FSLIC insured.
February 22, 2012 01:37PM
Gold coin and silver dollar are tops on my list of unfound coins.

Have found 1793-1797 larges cents ..but my closet to bust silver was 1839 seated dime.

Nice part of hobby with so many old coins or small mintage varieities always a first in your future.

I do feel in certain parts of country better chance to find a particuliar coin and although have found 10 standing liberty quarters....5 came from one particuiar area so lets dial in particuliar location in your neck of the woods..
gold
February 22, 2012 01:48PM
i just recently found my oldest its a 1835 2/12 dollar gold piece 2nd oldest is 1839 large cent and a handful of 1840 ish stuff lots of coins around this town
February 22, 2012 08:50PM
You guys must be hunting some serious old coin infested spots. I can't keep up with you boys. Honestly I consider my day a success just to get out and find a Wheat penny.

Wheat Stalker
CZ-5 Los Banos model (owned since '96)
Trek 5500
1966 Amphicar
February 22, 2012 08:57PM
I'm with you, Wheat Stalker. Got a real nice 1891 Seated quarter about a month ago -- and that's about the best I can do, in this "young" state...

shilohdigger -- that gold piece, WOW! You accomplished one of my DREAM coins!
February 22, 2012 09:27PM
yeah i love the coin it wasshining like a gold led light when i knocked out the first plug just staring at me !! and thing is 10 minutes before that i dug a us plate !! ha what a day with my father to boot dont really know how to post pics on here but i did post them on mytreasurespot.com and find mall same user name
February 22, 2012 09:36PM
wow -- a U.S. plate too, and with your dad? That makes it all the more amazing. Great job, shiloh!

While this is a "sick" thought...I wonder if civil war battle sites do yield up a large (relatively speaking) number of the gold coins found by detectorists (compared to other sites/locations)? I know NASA-Tom has said here in the past that enlisted soldiers were paid in silver, and officers in gold...I can imagine scenarios where recently-paid officiers, still carrying their "paycheck," were then killed on the battlefield...in the process losing the coins and other personal possessions...

Again, sick thought, but it is nonetheless what came to my mind when you mentioned the U.S. plate...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 09:37PM by steveg.
February 22, 2012 09:44PM
Found your pics of the coin online, shilohdigger...absolutely amazing! I dream of such a find...curious as to how deep it was, what machine you hit it with, and how it read on your unit?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 09:44PM by steveg.
February 22, 2012 10:02PM
most all coins i find are on civil war sites i use a f75 ltd the coin read like a strong button or small bullet almost like a shallow shotgun hull but by using 2 tone i knew it was deeper civil war depth about7 or 8 inches in unmoved dirt it was lying almost on edge it read high 40s bouncing around when i got it out of the ground it reads 44 evreytimea one dollar gold coin reads 23 every time out of the ground the plate was 20 inches bout 12 inches of dirt and had to swing over 8 inches of crab or monkey looking grass was hunting 6 and 1 and 80 sens in heavy iron
February 22, 2012 11:36PM
Thanks much for the info, shiloh...so cool! Great job!

Steve
February 23, 2012 12:21AM
Other than a gold coin or silver dollar I would like to find a bust coin of any type.
February 23, 2012 03:23AM
Gold, bust, seated, silver dollar.....
Maybe I'll swing the coil over them during the next 25yrs.
February 23, 2012 04:37AM
Have never found a 20 cent piece and would like to find a nice 1932S quarter to finish off my dug Washington quarter collection. I have found two $1 gold coins but nothing bigger... so why not shoot for the moon? A double eagle before I die.
February 23, 2012 06:53AM
No gold coin yet....( well did dig a counterfeit LOL!!)
No nickle 3-cent
No 20 center....But hey where you going to get one ???

Have been lucky enought to dig all halves from seated up...

Here's a Morgan Dollar ...Took me forever to get it but it was worth it!!! Sounded like a aluminum can... 3inches deep in a hunted out house site LOL!!

Here's another one I liked alot ..Just a beautiful coin...

And my favorite Half....This thing was seriously deep past a foot snagged it with the Musketeer....Just a whisper....had a 1820 large cent 3 feet away only 4 inches deep LOL!!

Good post ...Bring's back memories...and remind's you of what is yet to be found...

Keith
February 23, 2012 02:02PM
Keith , some sweet finds there.
For me half the fun is " the next one "
The next oldest or the next type , if i swing long enough i guess i have a chance up in New England .

Dan Pa you deserve that big silver and hope you hit it next time out.

Last year my 1723 copper blew out my oldest copper by 100 years
and my US 1842 dime put me another 30 years back.
February 23, 2012 02:04PM
awesome keith ! beautiful coins there is an article where a woman in california was digging for a fruit trree and dug up 41 double eagles

[www.mytreasurespot.com]
February 23, 2012 02:05PM
By Ami Ridling
Siskiyou Daily News
Posted Feb 17, 2012

Seiad Valley, Calif. It is not often that a person stumbles upon a stack of 19th century gold coins while digging a hole the garden to plant a fruit tree, but this extraordinary discovery was recently made by Seiad resident Kathy Bishop at her Lowden Ranch home.

I was surprised, excited and stunned, Bishop said. My first thought was that they were gold-colored foiled chocolate candies.

Surrounding a broken glass jar where the coins were once placed for safe keeping, Bishop said she unearthed 41 gold Liberty Head Double Eagle $20 coins with dates ranging from 1875 to 1896. Each coin weighs one ounce.

According to Bishop, 40 of the coins were minted in San Francisco, and one was minted in Carson City, Nev. While Bishop tried to keep the unearthed treasure a secret, she said that the occurrence was so exciting that she had to tell a few people. It was not long before the news began spreading throughout the county.

The discovery occurred on Jan. 5, when Bishop and her friend were preparing her garden to plant fruit trees. She had placed seven stakes in the areas of her garden where she wanted to plant the trees.

Having second thoughts about the location of the seventh tree, she decided to move its stake, and that was when she dug the new hole and discovered the gold coins.

If I hadnt moved that stake, I would have missed the gold, Bishop said.

Bishop commented that she has walked over the spot where the gold was buried more times than she can count. Lowden Ranch was once occupied by John Lowden, who died in 1905, Bishop said.

We are surmising that John buried these coins. Apparently the old timers buried their money often, she said, adding that she has heard of other property owners finding gold hidden on their properties.

The current value of gold is $1,765 per ounce, although Bishop said that she is not in a rush to have the coins appraised.

Right now we just think gold is a good thing to have around, Bishop said. We have no plans for it yet.

The coins are being stored in a safety deposit box at a bank, where they will stay.
February 23, 2012 02:48PM
Amazing!
That's $72,265 just in gold alone!
I'd be happy (thrilled out of my mind) just with one of those beautys....
February 23, 2012 04:56PM
First of all, awesome coins, Keith! Love the pics.

Second...that story is just astounding! 41 double eagles???

Steve
February 23, 2012 07:23PM
Any gold coin - 2/3/20 cents - would be absolutely wonderful - don't find the oldies in my state the way you guys NE do.
February 23, 2012 11:00PM
I'm after the Colonial and Post Colonial issues. I have found a few but they are in bad condition, barley identifiable. I'd also like to recover a $1 gold coin, that would be a feather in the cap.
February 24, 2012 12:52AM
Barber coins. I've found seated, mercs, Rosie's, but no barbers. Seems like most of the older homes here still standing are 1900-1920s so barbers should be easy but have eluded me.
February 24, 2012 01:17AM
Daniel funny how it goes sometimes , A bud i hunt with has made some great finds but no silver rosie dime ,
February 24, 2012 02:58AM
I'm the same way with relics. Have dug 4 breast plates but not a US oval. Everybody I relic hunt with has found one....oddly, most of the same ones have never found a breastplate. In CS buttons its the same way....I've not dug any of the "common" CS buttons that dominate this area....like block I and Cast I buttons. Instead, my only two are a VMI Cadet button and CS droop wing staff officers button.

I've found 3 1850s seated half dimes but no seated dime or quarter and especially not a half. BUT I'm not known as a coin hunter and thus rarely hunt where they might "commonly" be found. Most all my coins are by "mistake" in overlapping Civil War sites.
February 24, 2012 03:40AM
Are folks 'educated' and 'understand' the importance (and implications) of "cache hunting"?