Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega...5" DD coil....nasty bottlecaps tutorial

Posted by TerraDigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega...5" DD coil....nasty bottlecaps tutorial
February 23, 2012 03:58AM
Decided to do a little bench testing. Used a clad dime and a flattened/slightly rusted Bud Light bottlecap. These, like Corona beer caps are notorious for ID'ing as dimes/quarters. This technique uses the heel edge (not the toe edge) to identify the pesky buggers. IMHO the toe edge of the First Texas DD coils do not go as deep as the heel edge. Target distance from coil was approx 7". Bottlecaps can be deep. Here is what I observed.
When the heel edge is even with or up to 1" past the bottlecap the numbers will drop to 70's-60's-50's and sometimes the teen's (do not always get the teen readings though). But the tip off is is that in doing multiple edge sweeps (remember you may have to go up to 1" past the bottlecap to get this effect) is that the ID number 99 will appear. Sometimes only one time. But it appears.
The dime will also have large fluctuating readings like bcaps with the edge technique, but there are two things it won't do. It doesn't go into the teen numbers and the 99 ID number never occurs. Practice this at home, see if your results are what I am getting. Remember, this is with the 5" DD coil. Too tired tonight to test the 11" DD.

I put the targets on a box about 8" off the floor to replicate field sweeping techniques. Trying to do this by holding targets in hand and waving targets in front of coil doesn't work as well. Also, set sensitivity low enough so that the machine is not registering ID numbers randomly. You can hold the detector waist level in the air, and if ID numbers are being generated on the screen, you need to lower the sensitivity until it stops doing that. This will give you accurate test results.Disc @ 10 and Ground Grab reset to 28 instead of default 84 to reduce falsing from indoor EMI.

May apply to other First Texas detectors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 03:59AM by TerraDigger.
Re: Omega...5" DD coil....nasty bottlecaps tutorial
February 23, 2012 01:38PM
Using the F75...... a silver dime..... in real dirt..... will do exactly this when a couple of flecks/flakes of iron/rust are in close proximity.
wjs
February 23, 2012 02:47PM
I used to just raise my coil as I was swinging. The good targets stayed consistent and the ID on the bottlecaps would fall quickly.
February 24, 2012 05:20AM
Raising the coil does work on many bottlecaps........but not on the bcaps in my post. These newer bcaps can be a dog to disc. Thus, the reason why I posted the tutorial.