Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil cover removal?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil cover removal?
February 25, 2012 09:01PM
I need to remove my coil cover and the previous owner was a beach hunter as there is sand wedged in between the coil and cover making it extremely diificult to remove. Anybody have any tip's on how to remove with out damaging the coil? Thanks for any and all reply's. And this is a CZ -8" coil and cover I'm talking about.
Re: Coil cover removal?
February 25, 2012 09:39PM
CZ covers are not easy on a good day.
I found a dunk in warm water does wonders
February 25, 2012 09:49PM
I know what you mean as I have had my share of detectors over the years and the original Fisher CZ coils are the most stuborn! Once I get if off I will put the treasure wise cover on like on my other CZ. It is lighter and way easy to get off like the E-trac pro coil cover. I will try the warm water soak Thanks.
February 25, 2012 11:08PM
I just took one off yesterday and used a small nylon pry tool like you use on doors and trim for cars. I still had a hard time. It was the original thick coil cover...
February 25, 2012 11:14PM
The last time I took one off I broke it and never put another one back on especially after Tom reprimanded me for using them.
According to him "those coils are so tough you could hit em with a hammer and couldn't hurt them."
There's no reason to use a coil cover unless your swinging on rough ground, or your planning on reselling the coil.

Big profit for the manufacturers in them little .50 cent worth of plastic fellers
February 26, 2012 12:28AM
I know a lot of people don't believe in them. But I always like them as a just in case. But a easy one to get off as the Fisher one is too tough. And the main problem with this one is the guy was a beach hunter and the liitle grains of sand have wedged between the cover and coil.
February 26, 2012 12:51AM
I like the warm water dunk trick, but not to the acess panel. Not much luck these days submerging coils even though there "waterproof". Or gently pry off.
The compressed air trick didn't work for me.
Once off, they stay off,..... more trouble than they're worth.
February 26, 2012 01:24AM
Agreed.
Harold, I have always used a wooden chopstick and a hammer...
February 26, 2012 02:24AM
Keep the coil attached to the lower rod only and just tap on the edges of the cover...works every time with minimal marks on the coil or cover smiling smiley
February 26, 2012 08:20PM
Finally got it off! I had to alternate between warm water soak and taping lightly with a hammer and screw driver covered with a rag. As I suspected it was full of sand. I hate sand thats why I don't beach hunt ,But that is another story. Now it is ready for Tom to do his magic. Thats to all for your reply's!
February 26, 2012 11:31PM
If you're sending your CZ in to Tom for calibration and such, I don't think he wants you to send anything but the main box unit, not the shaft or coil. He has coils to attach to your box so it saves shipping and he doesn't have to keep up with more parts.

At least that's my understanding. Might want to contact him to make sure.
February 26, 2012 11:48PM
I sent mine with coil .
He can make sure thy work together
February 27, 2012 02:15AM
I know when i sent mine he said to send the box and coil.
February 27, 2012 04:11AM
I always need the primary coil.
March 06, 2012 07:23PM
I always use a wooden paint stirrer and a hammer around the edges of the coil cover, it has worked for me many times without a broken cover yet.
March 07, 2012 01:22AM
Thanks that is better than a screw driver with a rag. I will remember that next time.