Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D and High Tones

Posted by tailofdog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D and High Tones
February 27, 2012 03:25AM
Just having one run this, is more a question than results. I went over an area that i hit hard with my Vaquero. I used 0 disc. hunting with tones.
I found 1 $2.00 coin (AUST) that, the Vaquero had found but, I had not dug as it felt like a can onthe shovel.(tree roots) I know it was not properly GB.
What i did find were tent pegs and wire that, hit on high tones. Our 5c,10,20,and 50c hit midtones on top of the ground.Our $1and $2 dollar sound like a high almost crystal tone.
The old English pennies hit high as well.Since we have the $2and$1 coins high tone the rest at midtone don't bother me but, is wire and tent pegs an issue for the 3D?
Re: CZ3D and High Tones
February 27, 2012 11:56AM
The CZ is primarily calibrated for U.S. coins. Coins from other countries will do exactly what you are experiencing. I have a few Russian coins that ID as 'iron' in an air-test......... and they also stick (very strongly) to a magnet.

Yes, copper and aluminum wire can ID as a high-tone. I do not know what the composition of the tent-pegs are......... so my guess would only be speculation.
February 27, 2012 01:41PM
Unfortunately lots of junk in the ground that mimic coins on any detector in any country and CZ3D is no exception and of course the same goes for gold jewelry and tabs foil and junk targets.

Most manuals will tell you to do some airtesting to see what particuliar coins and various targets fall and in your case being in a foreign country highly recommended.

Hunting N.J. shores over the years have found coins from all over the world and only did because I dug all in this enviroment...
February 27, 2012 04:46PM
This is a test that I have done with some if my units. Take a long nail, place it in front of you pointing way from you , north and south. Sweep the coil over and adjust the discrimination to eliminate the iron in the nail.
Now turn the nail so that it is pointing the same direction as your coil sweep , east and west. Sweep and normal sweep speed. Some units will give a high tone. this is why it is important to get a repeatable signal
in two direction. Also you can use your pinpoint to determin the size and shape of a target. If you are getting a quick signal one way and a longer signal the other then you know it is not a good target unless you are relic hunting.

Tom in SC