Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Verdict is in.

Posted by Coinseeker 78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Verdict is in.
March 06, 2012 01:19AM
Got a chance to take my AT PRO out for a couple hours today. I went to a local park that is not very old but has a lot of clad and trash. I had hunted the very same area with my F 70 about a week ago and found several dimes that I had missed with my other detectors. Today I ran the Pro over the same ground and picked up 15 coins from 2 inches to 8 inches deep, I also dug a 2 inch piece of aluminum tubing at 10 inches, I did find one wheat cent and that one was the 8 incher. This is the first wheat I have found there in 3 years of hunting the tot lot and grass areas. I must say the AT Pro has a lot of promise for coin hunting in areas where silver exists. I should get to some old property this week and will keep you up to date. This detector is a winner hands down. A best buy in my opinion. Good hunting all.

PS the AT PRO does identify bottle caps from coins extremely well.
Re: The Verdict is in.
March 06, 2012 02:18AM
Glad you ar enjoying the AT-PRO...It is alot of machine for the money...With un-matched audio....

yes it does I.D. bottle cap's with a unique audio...

But use that to your advantage!

When you hear that distinct bottle cap sound go ahead and excavate if it's a productive area...a bottle cap throws off a quite large halo and can easily mask a silver dollar !

Dont leave the bottle cap. dig it up ...but the beauty of it is your not completely rejecting or partialy rejecting it and going on oblivious to the masking... or you are not getting excited by a good high tone false only to be let down....

Use the awesome audio to help in working a site to it's fullest potential...

Good report

Keith
March 06, 2012 01:44PM
After Garrett got the bugs out and they did that well and took care of the consumer lots of bang for the buck. Judging by the large screens they have on their previous units wish they made the meters a tad larger for us old coots. Seems like a learning period that many can't adjust to as heck of a lot of used ones being sold and again whatever works...Years ago used their original AT3 water unit and was a gold ring magnet and lets hope this one is also. Never used one only looked over at a dealer but seems to be a love-hate unit depending on who you talk to but certainly a lot easier on the wallet than many competing detector companies.
March 06, 2012 02:01PM
Dan, you are right about the screen size. But I have been able to adjust to what the screen is indicating by just a glance, If this detector remains reliable I will have a ball using it.
March 06, 2012 02:41PM
I took my At pro to a yard I hunted over and over again with several top name detectors and was very impressed with it. The audio is second to none when it comes to finding nonferrous items amongst iron. I was shocked to find a silver religious medal only and inch down that I dug two nails out with. I must of swept over it a dozen times with other machines. The very quick high tone blip mixed with iron audio made the difference. I also found a wheat penny spill under a telephone pole I missed before most likely from EMI problems my other machines where having. Found several wheat pennies that IDed more as zinc pennies. It hits the 8 inch wheat penny I buried with a soft audio that bounces between mid,high tones and never low iron tones. I only bought this machine to try out water hunting in the summer, but now I cant seem to put it down.
March 06, 2012 05:50PM
My Verdict is still out:

The only thing I know is . . . if it is no deeper than 4" - 5"(max) . . . then it's mine . . . there's no escape.
Deeper than that . . . I cannot speak to ?

Makes me wonder though ?
March 06, 2012 06:22PM
I really like the idea of a waterproof or even water resistant detector and the bigger factor, as others have said, is the incredible audio.

How is the weight of the unit compared to the E-Trac, if anyone knows?
March 06, 2012 06:38PM
It was way to heavy for me I tired out in one hour my back was really hurting. The V3i I could swing all day and the Etrac is still hanging on the wall I can't hunt after the bone marrow transplant till this Dec..I will have forgotten everything by then...The G2 is a dream come ture and is a great machine once you learn it I think it can take on the Etrac but I will do a test in Dec and see but by then the new Tek and Fisher should be out and it is time to take the next step from the F75 and the G2 and the Cz and take the best of each and create a whole new beast that has a new twist that will allow us to rehunt our best sights and start to pullout the masked relics we missed

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 06, 2012 07:05PM
The AT Pro balance is greatly improved with the upgrade...weight is not a big factor.
March 07, 2012 03:35AM
The AT Pro is a wonderful detector for the price. It is a small detector that has serious balance issues. Even after the upgrades or gizmo addition the AT Pro balance is coil heavy.

Detector companies need to make ergonomic issues a priority. First Texas seems to be leading the way.
March 07, 2012 03:16PM
I was not aware of the balance problem with the AT PRO until I read some of the remarks here. I swung it for about 4 hours yesterday and did not seem fatigued from any imbalance of the detector. I just noticed when I just now picked the detector up a slight tendency for it to be coil heavy. I usually scrape the ground a little when detecting not sweeping the ground slightly above it like the manual says. so this does take some of the weight off of the coil. Anyhow it does not seem to be a problem with me.
March 07, 2012 06:14PM
The coil heaviness is a design on purpose. If you hunt in water with it you will see why they made it coil heavy. It could actually stand to be a bit heavier for water hunting. If you've never done it...water hunting is a full body workout lol Hunting 2-3 hrs in water is more physical than 12 hours on land in steep uphill and downhill terrain. Light coils float up in the water and are hard to move with the resistance of the water...heavier coils don't float as much and glide through the water a bit easier. I think Garrett took the middle of the road with the weight because they wanted it to be a land and water machine...so thus it's a tad coil heavy for land users and a still a tad buoyant for water hunters.
March 07, 2012 11:25PM
I kind of figured the coil weight was there to help when detecting in water. I swung the coil 5 hours today and did not find it a problem for me.