Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which detector for highly mineralized Red Dirt (Tennessee only?)

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which detector for highly mineralized Red Dirt (Tennessee only?)
March 18, 2012 12:10PM
What a quest I have been on. Ya know, from the very first, when I first started detecting just over a year ago, I remember being dumbfounded and frustrated at why I saw people getting all of these wonderful depths on youtube, and reporting digging seated dimes and what not at 11 inches.Hearing just a faint hi tone. Thus began my metal detector quest. I wanted ME one of them deep seekers to hit coins that others had missed due to a depth limitation.
I remember the frustration I felt when I first went to the test garden with my brand new Etrac and I told myself: "Now just you watch THIS!" only to be frustrated when I couldn't even get a 7.5 inch coin to show up as a coin!!! A nine inch dime or quarter would not sound off anything but a faint iron sugnal on the F75SE. Same with the Calibrated CZ-3D. Any coin over 6.5 inches in my testgarden gave a nice crisp clear.......iron tone. I woke up this morning feeling frustrated with my soil.
BUT I will say this. My AT Pro with stock coil is hotter than ususal and will air test a clad dime at 12 inches. And I don't have to swing the dime fast either....just a normal swing with dime parralel to coil and it will hi tone it. And it DOES hit my 9 inch mercs and quarters.....with a hi tone/ mid tone and with numbers jumping into the silver zone. Easily enuff that I would dig that target. My last AT Pro would barely hit a 5 inch coin (when they first came out). But I am being very careful with this unit so that I won't have to send it in and they end up de-tuning it accidentally. Now all of this talk is coming from a one year man. And you probably didn't need me to tell you that....you could tell it just from reading my post.
DanielTN has been doing an admirable job at experimenting with detectors and his dirt sounds like mine. I mean....this dirt will grow a heck of a good garden. Good tomatoes, and sweet corn, and beans, and so forth, but if a silver dime is 8 inches deep, it is probably gonna sound like a nail. Except for this newest AT Pro. But I am always on the hunt for a deep seeker in red dirt if such an animal exists. A detector that will detect a coin with almost as much depth as it air tests it.
What depresses me is this: I think that I have tried all the great detectors and there is nothing left for me to try. And half the fun of this hobby was taking a new detctor to a spot and making that spot NEW to me again. Oh well. It's been a fun ride. I'll just use my Garrett AT Pro until it peters out and then send it in and hope and pray that it comes back to me hot. Or hotter. Just NOT weaker.
Nope :-)
March 18, 2012 07:14PM
You still ain't ventured to the pulse machines. They are the red dirt answer. You can find you a Whites TDI, get you a smaller coil for it, and be amazed. I have a video somewhere of me hitting a 7" silver dime with a 5 inch RazorBack coil....I've had $1,000 vlf machines with much larger coils that couldn't do that with any kind of a signal...the eTrac would only make an iron signal on it as well with 11" ProCoil.

It's not just the deeper things that you are missing...it's stuff well within the ranges of a VLF that it is incorrectly IDing...that you walk right over. Up in Virginia I hunted a little New York camp that was approx 2000 square feet. I hunted it for 3 whole 12 hour days with my F75 utilizing the motion all metal mode and digging every signal that did not give a double blip signal like a nail would do. 3 days...found a bunch of relics there. I was extremely happy and satisfied. Then I got my first pulse machine and we actually went back to that same property and I made a run straight for that NY camp. My thoughts were that I knew the TDI was much better on low conductors and I was hoping for a button or two that I had missed with the F75. Little did I know I would practically spend 3 more days in that same spot digging relics like it had never been hunted. I found over 100 more dropped bullets, over a dozen buttons, and a crap load of small brass...grommets, p-caps, j hooks, etc and even a breast plate. All that came from the same 2000 sq ft area that I had hunted for 3 days with the F75...running grid patterns all over it. That showed me the true muscle of a PI machine in red dirt....SOME of it was deep, but other stuff should have been within range of the F75 and all the other machines that had wandered through that camp.

The CoinStrike does pretty good in the red dirt as well...it is capable of IDing coins in it but wont be any better than the AT Pro at it. The AT Pro is a fine unit...I have owned two of them. One of them done decent down in my bullet field but it's downfall to me right now is the inavailability of aftermarket coils for it. I would like to see a DD coil for it larger than the 8.5x11. Perhaps a 12x13 or something would be about right for me...I would be really happy with one if they did that.