Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

More Rumors

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
More Rumors
March 22, 2012 05:57PM
this was a quote from a UK forum........
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Ive been told that the new Minelab is going to be a relic version of the Gpx ,with a price of approximately £1500 ($1950)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something to think about!!!!!! More than the cost of a Deus too.......

Tom in SC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 07:09PM by tmanly.
Re: More Rumors
March 22, 2012 07:05PM
And the prices on detectors just keeps on skyrocketing.
March 22, 2012 07:13PM
Oil goes up, evreything follows.
March 22, 2012 08:47PM
While it is not a top end detector the AT Pro came in at mid price. It did offer a few new twists to a same old market. I thought the industry would take notice. Yes I have an E Trac. It took some creativity in selling some possessions. It took a loving and understanding wife. And it took one or two promises. I tell you one of them. This is the last detector for a long time. Yes my mouth waters when new detectors come out. But for me personally the brakes are on for a while.
March 22, 2012 09:13PM
If this is true and it has just a couple of the GPX timings...such as Sharp and Normal...with the iron reject...look out relic world. I will own one as soon as they come out at that price. No questions asked. I would preorder one today and then you'll see ole Daniel from Tennessee kick in the afterburners and be gone digging lol.
March 22, 2012 11:52PM
guys, taking about the AT Pro, last week I dug, 12 coins all before 1870, a couple of draped bust coppers, a busted dime , 2 Civil War tokens and 20 buttons from a field, I don't think it was the detector, me or the Pro, it was the research I did this winter, I would have found these with my BH101, I just found a virgin field, yes it was fun and it was over 4 days, and now I will be depressed all summer or til I find another spot haha
March 23, 2012 03:45AM
Caretaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> guys, taking about the AT Pro, last week I dug, 12
> coins all before 1870, a couple of draped bust
> coppers, a busted dime , 2 Civil War tokens and 20
> buttons from a field, I don't think it was the
> detector, me or the Pro, it was the research I did
> this winter, I would have found these with my
> BH101, I just found a virgin field, yes it was fun
> and it was over 4 days, and now I will be
> depressed all summer or til I find another spot
> haha

Amen! I have fallen into that " I need to best detector to make old spots come alive again" when what I really need to do is go knocking on doors and making phone calls. I need new virgin spots. With a virgin spot, and ACE250 will find a pocketful. A friend of mine who was hunting with me has held true to his ACE250 and finds an oval CSA buckle in splendid shape. I was using the latest and greatest. I found three pistol bullets!! If the coil is over a metal relic it will sound off, barring masking and other common problems. I need somewhere else to hunt instead of digging around in that nail bed that I talk about all the time. But I just cannot help but believe that there are goodies under them nails.
March 23, 2012 04:01AM
Hey Daniel, you could just possibly get your wish finally. Didnt you start a thread elsewhere or for that matter here about a year and a half ago asking us relic hunters what we would like to see in a relic detector.There was heavy talk on the Minelab GPXs 4800 and 5000. How they are mainly designed for the gold hunters and the many timings they offer. But us relic hunters dont need all those timings, just cant afford the steep price for those.Lets see a scaled back version like you said of maybe a couple of timings and an improved descriminate system and a few less whistles and bells to get the price down to just under $2,000.00. I will be right in line with you Dan. The 4800 is all you need for relics and then some, about a grand cheaper than the 5000 but still too pricy for me personally.Steve
March 23, 2012 10:58AM
Hmmm. How can they possibly do that without suffering in the gold detector department.

Nuggethunters will buy the relic version and save 4000 dollars .
March 23, 2012 12:07PM
Simple....they could have been working on new timings that wouldn't benefit the gold prospector. PI machines aren't sensitive to micro size gold anyway...thus is the selling point for the GPX 5000 with its Fine Gold timing. Everybody that gold prospects is raving about that particular timing being worth the upgrade from previous GPX models. The current Coin/Relic timing that they put in the 4800 and 5000 is basically useless to a gold prospector as well....unfortunately it is also useless to most coin and relic hunters as well, since it only works in totally neutral benign soil. To this very date, of all the forums I frequent, I have yet to find anybody with a 4800 or 5000 that could get it to balance in their soil with the Coin/Relic timing...but it does air test well if air testing is your thing. I have been hearing hints here and there, of Minelab doing extensive R&D and field testing in the Culpeper and Orange counties of Virginia...where the really bad iron dirt is and where relics are in abundance. This has been going on for at least the last year or so...so who knows, there might be merit to the rumorville. The thing about the 4500 to the 5000, is that there are several timings to choose from and 99.9% of the time, gold prospectors are only going to use one or two of them as well...but they like having the others there in case they need them. For a relic or coin hunter in harsh mineralized soil, there is only one or two that we will use to benefit from (of those currently offered) and neither one of those are really popular with the gold prospectors.

The other thing to consider...gold prospectors utilize the mono coils for the GPX machines. The iron discrimination only works with DD coils...so you can guess which one the relic hunters are using. If I were Minelab I would do exactly as I said in an old post about this very thing (mentioned above)....offer a cut back GPX marketed to counter the TDI and Infinium in price range and totally blow them out of the water in performance. There are a number of things they could do there and offer everything a relic hunter could want and need in a pulse machine...while still leaving the GPX 4800 and 5000 the kings of the ring in the gold fields.

I had sent several emails and such to the folks at Minelab telling this very thing. Minelab countered and said the relic hunter market was too small to market towards...but since that exchange, I done a poll on another forum just to show them how many folks would buy such a machine if they came out with one. Then they started sending reps and such out to the DIV hunts to check things out and saw just how quickly the tide was turning in favor of pulse machines in that soil up there. In the course of just 2-3 years, the 300+ participants of the DIV hunts went from being 99% VLF machines...to probably 98% pulse machines...and in the last year, the folks have largely jumped on the Minelab wagon for the GPXs. Since then, Minelab has had great interest in that area....even getting with several locals and doing an online video series called the Civil War Uncovered in which they are using GPXs to relic hunt in Culpeper and Orange county VA. They've even been working with the park services up there at Thomas Jefferson's home, doing surveys to locate buildings and such on the property. So they are getting more and more involved in the relic community. Their sales rep has been coming to the DIV hunts the last few hunts as well. So it will be interesting to see what comes down the pike there. Ya'll can wait on that light weight CZ and updated eTrac...I'm waiting on the new pulse machines lol
jrk
March 23, 2012 01:17PM
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I live in said area of VA, and family has some property in WV where the soil is equally as bad, if not worse, but as loaded with historical significance for the US. In auto on my ET's, the machine can run a high as 6 on its sensitivity scale. I know I'm missing some items.
Please keep us informed Daniel as you become more aware of such.
I'm also very interested in the Blisstool thread, and can only hope that this forum with all its combined knowledge/experience can shine the light on the good and bad for the guys like me who are not as experienced.

Randy
March 24, 2012 05:48AM
I for one would definitely look serious into getting a new pi relic detector.My area in Wisconsin is not like the bad ground that Daniel has in his areas but for the sandy gravel soil, mild mineralization we have.We hunt for prehistoric copper and that stuff is deeeeep.I have hunted with guys up there that use the Minelab GP series.And anything that is left at this perticular site is a minimum 16 inches down and found as deep as 22 inches.All in sandy gravely soil.The sink rate is fast. But what keeps us coming back is the deep frost in the ground at winter, heaving up the relics every season bringing them within reach.Ive had the CZ-3D up on this site run wide open,no luck. Just recently tried my Etrac W/ stock coil and set up the detector to where it was wide open also and got spanked. Came home with nothing but 1 small copper nugget found at 8 inches. Just bought the sunray 12.5 inch coil and anxious to go back to that spot and try to get deeper.But large coils can be trouble when you swing where Im swinging, in thick brush and trees.What has been proven are the Minelab PIs for just pure horse power at my perticular site.Current VLFs just cant muster that power.I to am following the Blisstool info. Steve
March 24, 2012 10:42AM
Glasartisan, what is prehistoric copper?
Keep us updated on the Blisstool if you purchase one, Thanks
March 24, 2012 01:20PM
Steve......... do you hunt with Mike Scott....... as he lives in Wisconsin and searches for the same stuff.
March 26, 2012 02:28AM
Yes Tom, Mike And I go back along time. When Mike was working back at the store several years ago before he landed his current job he always made sure that I got the best deal that he could offer me and he still takes care of me if I have a detector problem.Good guy to know. I have hunted with him a time or two.Not so much lately with schedules and such.
Hey ozzie what Im refering to when I say prehistoric copper,it is the copper that was mined out of the Keweenaw Peninsula by the native Indians about 3000bc to 1000bc.This time was known as the late archaic period and went into the early woodland period.Through cold hammering and annealing the copper was formed into various tools and implements.Like fish hooks,awls,socketed harpoons,spearpoints,knives, beads and many other items.Many of these items were traded widely and have been found in the southern regions of the states.Here in the picture is what is called a socketed point and the other items are known as preforms,they were starting to get hammered into some tool but lost them before they were finished with making it.These items were found on private property with permission granted to us.
March 26, 2012 02:44AM
Yes Tom, Mike And I go back along time. When Mike was working back at the store several years ago before he landed his current job he always made sure that I got the best deal that he could offer me and he still takes care of me if I have a detector problem.Good guy to know. I have hunted with him a time or two.Not so much lately with schedules and such.
Hey ozzie what Im refering to when I say prehistoric copper,it is the copper that was mined out of the Keweenaw Peninsula by the native Indians about 3000bc to 1000bc.This time was known as the late archaic period and went into the early woodland period.Through cold hammering and annealing the copper was formed into various tools and implements.Like fish hooks,awls,socketed harpoons,spearpoints,knives, beads and many other items.Many of these items were traded widely and have been found in the southern regions of the states.Here in the picture is what is called a socketed point and the other items are known as preforms,they were starting to get hammered into some tool but lost them before they were finished with making it.These items were found on private property with permission granted to us.

Use the link below to view the picture.
[s542.photobucket.com]

Steve
March 26, 2012 04:04AM
Neat finds Steve, thanks for sharing! smiling smiley
March 26, 2012 04:58AM
Your welcome schultzie.Glad you enjoyed. Steve
March 26, 2012 11:46AM
Wow. They wrapped the copper around the wood shaft to fasten it. Made the spear point with a slight dish, to give it strength, very interesting, thanks Steve.
March 27, 2012 01:43AM
Yes ozzie it is amazing when you actually look closely at these works of art.All the strength is gathered up in the many folds layered upon each other and pounded very tightly into place.They even had to make a special tool called a mandrel to create the socket of the spearpoint so then the wood or bone could be hafted into place.I say these people were highly advanced and were true artisans.Thanks, Steve