Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Really like my E-trac but

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Really like my E-trac but
March 24, 2012 12:51PM
can't seem to lift it after the Deus. Got out a little while yesterday and tried the xp. Took the manual with me but it really is not as complicated as I thought it might me. You can change many thing to suit whatever you like. Found only one wheat , but a lot of new change and 2 tokens. As far as depth a couple around 7-8 inches. Did dig some trash as I wanted to get the feel and also was not familiar with the numbers. Going to get out again today and try to stay longer. The only think I wish it had was multi tone like the ET. I did dig one rusty cap that read 94. Did not try and eliminate it by dragging the coil back, but I will try that next time...the weight of the thing is (or lack of weight) is amazing. Also would rather use my original headphones but am concerned about the weight pulling on the control.. The phone that came with it or OK but like mine a little better as I like them to fit tight. Just nitpicking but that is my thoughts so far
my next machine will be a liteweight
March 24, 2012 01:01PM
As the aging process doesn't quit, and gravity seems to get stronger every year. I like the minelabs, but may have to switch next year, if they do not lighten up.
Re: Really like my E-trac but
March 24, 2012 01:05PM
Sonny----What pin pointer (if any) did you use with the Deus?----I read where one of the UK guys was saying he was having some trouble with cross talk when using a pin pointer with the Deus (even when using the Garrett Pro Pointer).-----That seems kinda odd (if that's true) as you can run on four different frequencies with the Deus & the Pro Pointer is operating on what 13 khz?------Keep us posted, I want to hear what you think of & how you get along with the Deus.----------Del
March 24, 2012 01:06PM
67 years on this end and the thing takes a toll on the old body as when I go I usually spend the day .. Not always but most of the time and the ET is just HEAVY....
March 24, 2012 01:07PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sonny----What pin pointer (if any) did you use
> with the Deus?----I read where one of the UK guys
> was saying he was having some trouble with cross
> talk when using a pin pointer with the Deus (even
> when using the Garrett Pro Pointer).-----That
> seems kinda odd (if that's true) as you can run on
> four different frequencies with the Deus & the Pro
> Pointer is operating on what 13 khz?------Keep us
> posted, I want to hear what you think of & how you
> get along with the Deus.----------Del

I use Garrett pro-pointer with the Deus, no problems with cross-talk.
March 24, 2012 01:07PM
I used the garrett pp and did not seem to have any problems and used basic 1 mode . I also read that they had problems.
March 24, 2012 01:30PM
I sort of wish I didn't sell my Omega. The E-Trac is heavy and I use the Swingy Thingy but the twisting motion bugs my back muscles on one side. I swing with just the left arm now and so the right elbow is healing :-)

Come on Minelab, regardless of sales, do what is right and make that Bad Boy light!
March 24, 2012 01:31PM
Keep the knowlegable info coming but like any new unit going to take a while. Doubt it will beat the Minelab Explorer series especially for deep silver but nearing my mid 70's can understand the weight issue and Minelab does have to lighten the load.
March 24, 2012 02:09PM
You sound like I felt when I went from the Explorer to the Troy X5. My body thanked me. The Explorer was still the king of finding silver amongst the aluminum trash, But I used the X5 for everything else.
March 24, 2012 02:26PM
I agree with the weight of minelabs even though with the E=trac I use the X-8 Sunray coil 80%of the time. This really helps as it less than 1 pound and almost as hot as the pro and a lot better separatoin in the trash.The funny thing though is I can swing a CZ analog with the housing on the shaft with out any problems. Maybe my body is more use to that set-up as I have swung CZ's longer than minelabs?
March 24, 2012 02:34PM
Weight is the only thing keeping me away from Minelabs.

The X-Terra series is ok weight wise, but I personally feel there are other detectors out there just as light that out performs the X-Terras.

I would like to see Minelab develop lighter detectors, but maybe the cost/benefit isn't there.
March 24, 2012 02:47PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sonny----What pin pointer (if any) did you use
> with the Deus?----I read where one of the UK guys
> was saying he was having some trouble with cross
> talk when using a pin pointer with the Deus (even
> when using the Garrett Pro Pointer).-----That
> seems kinda odd (if that's true) as you can run on
> four different frequencies with the Deus & the Pro
> Pointer is operating on what 13 khz?------Keep us
> posted, I want to hear what you think of & how you
> get along with the Deus.----------Del

I read that too and I think they cured the problem with a frequency offset.
March 24, 2012 04:21PM
So, if that new Fisher CZ is anything like an E-Trac in performance but more like an Omega in weight, I think it's fair to say A LOT OF E-TRAC users will jump ship... I will.
March 24, 2012 04:59PM
You really think they are going to come out with a new CZ?
March 24, 2012 07:12PM
Okay...we all know the E-Trac is heavy. And ergonomically, the design is a physical therapist's nightmare. My question is this....can Minelab lighten the weight significantly without negatively impacting performance/sturdiness. The ergonomics can be improved for sure, without impacting these two criteria. But I just wonder if the weight isn't a necessary part of what makes a E-Trac what it is? All you engineers/brilliant types...feel free to respondsmiling smiley
March 24, 2012 08:26PM
YOU can lighten the load and swing it ALL DAY LONG with a hip mount,,,,,just do it, I did and there's no goin back
March 25, 2012 03:44AM

Okay...we all know the E-Trac is heavy. And ergonomically, the design is a physical therapist's nightmare. My question is this....can Minelab lighten the weight significantly without negatively impacting performance/sturdiness. The ergonomics can be improved for sure, without impacting these two criteria. But I just wonder if the weight isn't a necessary part of what makes a E-Trac what it is? All you engineers/brilliant types...feel free to respondsmiling smiley

Fixing the ergonomics would make weight a non-factor. For such a well engineered detector, they fell flat with ergonomics.

YOU can lighten the load and swing it ALL DAY LONG with a hip mount,,,,,just do it, I did and there's no goin back

What parts do you move to your hip? It would seem like the batteries would have to get moved there to make a really big difference.
March 25, 2012 07:17AM
Harold - Yes

Shambler - You basically mount the whole upper "base unit" - rather hang it around yourself and get an extension to the coil - and of course add another handle/rod in which to swing it. I am not into contraptions to get a $1500 dollar detector to be lighter. Just build it right Minelab. I am already using the swingy thingy and dislike it, though it helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 07:18AM by earthmansurfer.
JR
March 25, 2012 11:36AM
I think Minelab is a lot smarter than they are given credit for. I have purchased 3 New Explorer II Minelabs and 2 used ones over the years all because they are heavy. I got the first one because it is a great detector. Sold it because it was too heavy.
Got the second one because it is a great detector. Sold it because it was too heavy. You get the picture. Each time I bought one it was because it was soo good, and then it would wear me down because it's too damn heavy. Net result because of the weight is Minelab sold me more Minelabs than I ever would have purchased if they were not so damn heavy. Please tell me I'm not the only one that has fallen for this brilliant marketing strategy. LOL
March 25, 2012 12:32PM
JR, are you saying you bought them because they were good detectors and built sturdy? Or, You were sold because of the weight and let them go because of the weight....5 times??? I think I'm missing something here, it happens.
March 25, 2012 01:08PM
I dont argue the MLs are heavy, but i used a Whites DFX for some time and had the awfullest elbow pain. I switched to the heavier Exp and because of the slower sweep speed and having to keep it closer to the ground im pain free and can swing all day and most of a week. I guess i got the best of both worlds with the change. I will say thou im retired military, only 60, and still in fairly good shape.... not all the nuts and bolds have came loose yet.

Dew
JR
March 25, 2012 01:12PM
My reason for buying every time was because they are great detectors. Eventually after using one for a few months the weight would wear me down and I would sell the explorer and buy something lighter. Then after a few months with the light detector I would miss the Explorer's abilities and convince myself that they were not that heavy and I would buy another one, and that cycle would repeat. My point was that Minelab has probably sold more of the Explorers because they are too heavy for many people but they are so good that even after you have sold one because it is too heavy, you eventually by another one because its so good.
March 25, 2012 04:17PM
here is a pic,,,,, it's the only way to go IMHO very light and versitile,,, cost of cable about 60 bucks,,,,used an old s-rod from a Tesoro for the upper handle,, ( you don't have to hold the unit with your left hand, it hangs down on your belly just fine and you can see the numbers very well,,,, but not the dept meter ,,,),,,would'nt call this a"contraption" rather a valid "up-grade" to a great machine..... this simply and effectivly NULL'S the weight problem of the Etrac. You can make all adjustments while swinging the unit and never miss a beat, no eye fatigue from chasing a moving screen and you can tuck the control head under your coat when you want to to keep it out of the weather and it's well above the water when water hunting,,,,,( a waterpfoof connector would REALLY make it safe for water up to your knees)
[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 04:23PM by wurthless.
March 25, 2012 04:39PM
Does the Etrac coil weigh less than the Explorer 10.5" coil?

if not, then the problem would not be solved as the coil was way too heavy.
March 25, 2012 05:00PM
The procoil is a LOT lighter. Most folks with older Explorers that hunt near me have changed out the old coils for the procoils.