Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Research is the key..

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Research is the key..
March 25, 2012 01:24PM
Love to hear the pro's and cons of the pricey better than sliced bread units but honestly don't need a new detector just need some new areas to hunt....and feel I am not the only one...
Re: Research is the key..
March 25, 2012 02:28PM
I don't know Dan, the bread I enjoy are the ones you have to slice. As for new places, I could use a few.
March 25, 2012 11:02PM
On May 12 1933 Franklin Roosevelt signed into law the Agricultural Adjustment Administration (USDA-AAA) periodically acquired nationwide aerial photographs by county.For agricultural land assesment and national soil surveys.Here in Illinois a University has the pictures of Illinois taken between 1936-1941.A great tool from research to show me where to slow down, yielded me a v-nickel and 1902 & 1875 indian head so far. Just found website couple weeks ago: hope that helps HH rr7
:
March 25, 2012 11:09PM
Thanks rapidroy, anything like historic aerials?
March 26, 2012 02:03AM
The State University website for Illinois has some of chicago,they flew north & south taking pictures, of whole state then some lucky soul got 2 piece them together! They also have a lot of soil ,weather, geology maps.ect..... most comes from NASA i think, the university makes it viewable for dummies like me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 02:07AM by rapidroy7.
March 26, 2012 02:22AM
Got permission the other day to do an area that goes back to 1916. About 1 square mile in size. All mine. So far. Did the research, found out what it used to be. 4 Ag dimes and two Ag rings so far. Nothing deeper than 5". Pristine digging scenario. I am not bragging. Just trying to emphasize what Dan is saying.
Gotta get the research brain turned on & courage to get permission. Public areas are beat to death for the most part IMHO.
March 26, 2012 02:49AM
"Public areas are beat to death for the most part IMHO."

GOOD.....I love the challenge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 02:50AM by Aaron.
March 26, 2012 02:53AM
Aaron.....LOL......you are correct...but a time does come when digging nothing but modern day junk is a bore. I kind of follow the adage of...work smarter...not harder. BTW, I used to dig ditches for a living when I was younger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 02:58AM by TerraDigger.
March 26, 2012 03:11AM
Terra,
As a single father of 2 little ones, I just dont have the time to drive far distances...especially with the price of gas now. Most of my hunting is close to home (except water hunting), in places the "rookies" have given up on a long time ago. I do though, continue to do my research and continue to be amazed at whats literally right "under everyones nose".

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 03:19AM by Aaron.
March 26, 2012 03:17AM
Aaron....the site is 2 miles away from where I live....under everyone's nose so to speak.....RESEARCH!!!!!
March 26, 2012 03:20AM
Uh Huh! ; )
Absolutely
March 26, 2012 07:02AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love to hear the pro's and cons of the pricey
> better than sliced bread units but honestly don't
> need a new detector just need some new areas to
> hunt....and feel I am not the only one...

Location location location. Great collections of relics and coins have been amassed, using, what we would consider today, primitive detectors.
March 26, 2012 08:26AM
TerraDigger --

Congrats to you, my friend! You deserve that site...and I wish you the best of luck on it!

Steve