Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac-QuickMask

Posted by agaucufe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Etrac-QuickMask
March 27, 2012 01:01AM
If a completely open quick mask is "all metal" why the nulling?
Re: Etrac-QuickMask
March 27, 2012 08:52AM
Very good question...as I understand it agau, an open quick mask is not TRUE all metal, as there is still some tiny amount of disc...and the nulling you hear is ground mineralization being "discriminated." I may be wrong, and don't understand this whole "true all metal" vs."quasi" all metal, but I'm sure others will add to the discussion with better, more accurate info.

Steve
March 27, 2012 12:46PM
Thanks Steve,

Yeah, I'm new with the E Trac and am working through the learning curve. After a year or so with the CZ, this thing puzzles me a bit. The nulling on an open quiick mask is confusing until I'm explained the details. I can't seem to get my arms around the multi tones yet either (sounds like a Jethro Tull practice session on a bad day).

Does anyone out there run in 4 tone? I don't hear much on that. It seems to me, that while learning, it would be easier to make dig decisions based on 4 tones rather than 40. Any thoughts out there on the plusses and minuses of 4 tone versus multi for a new user moving from the CZ platform?

Thanks,

Pete
March 27, 2012 06:40PM
[metaldetectingworld.com]

The above link has an explanation as to why the E-trac would null while using an all-metal pattern. I believe the only true all-metal non-motion mode the E-trac has is the pinpoint function.
Personally, I’ve noted the E-trac nulling while air-testing small gold jewelry. When a small piece of gold jewelry is barely detectable by the E-trac (conductivity extremely low), the lower Noise Cancel numbers will null the threshold, only the high numbers will detect it.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
March 28, 2012 03:30AM
Pete --

I understand about the tones, but I personally, if I were you, would NOT switch...give yourself PLENTY of time to get used to it...the tones are "where it's at," in my opinion, with the FBS units (E-Trac and Explorer). Eventually, I think you will come to appreciate the tones. Once you learn it, you will find alot of info contained in the tonal variety of those units. Just my opinion...

Steve
March 29, 2012 02:55AM
I did the four tone thing for awhile to get my confidence up in the machine,and It helped me allot,,,,, but now that I know the etrac is hitting on desired targets I switched to "long" tones,,,,, this in itself has given me HUGE confidence while running higher sens,,,,,, the chatter is just chatter but when the coil goes over an acceptable target the long tones just jumps out at you and screems dig here !!!! THe PP is a little tricky ( wiggle method) but you get used to it,,,,,,,, HH !!
March 29, 2012 03:31PM
Explorer series ....we all have different headphones, tonal hearing and give yourself some time....

Heres a drill...get a dime-quarter and nickle and run each of them over the coil on one of those rainy days until the seperate tones are drilled in your brain.

Believe me the secret of an Explorer and one of its best attributes are its tones and perhaps not for everyone but once learned anyone of these tones will stop you in your tracks....remember variability settings control these tones so might experiment with the settings but once you decide on a setting stay with it and max at 10 it gives the most variation which may or may not help you as believe this is a personal preference depending on line 1 of this post...
March 29, 2012 03:50PM
Thanks all,

Looks like patience is the key. I've got 50 targets planted in the garden. Best to spend a good bit of time out there on multi and stick with it.

Pete
March 29, 2012 04:39PM
Don't need 50 targets...if youre a coin hunter only the 3..... I mentioned until you get a feeling for the tones.....
If your really looking at learning the majority of the tones might suggest a beach where digging is easy and dig all.....

Seems like some of us pickup tones easier than others and the Explorer series or for that matter the Sov. series is like having John Philip Sousa's band following you around...