Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Seriously hard target today

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Seriously hard target today
March 27, 2012 03:46AM
I have a civil war house site I have beat to death but it has produced some nice relic's so I hit it now days for detector comparison....

I have worked it down for year's with all the brand's....I finally got it down to it has quit producing...So I like to test detector's in it...

I was doing some comparison's today and retrieved a few target's that My other machine's side by side would not hit..

Now this is a constant get on your nerves nail hole for sure... I mean not a blank spot nowhere..

I was testing the XP Goldmaxx Power...

This target here was in so many nails I am not sure how I heard it ..But the other super trash picker's would not touch it...Wish I would of had the video camera with me...

The I went on to get a few more small target's and a couple even deep ,,

couple of furniture tack's, a P-Cap,some sort of brass divider piece,and a piece of a cavalry sabre sword guard and also a piece of lead sabbot....

these were the only target's recovered beside's some iron...
[________this site is beat hard...____The XP Goldmaxx Power is a quite remarkable detector...I could only imagine the DEUS is a top of the line unit....____For those who dont know the Goldmaxx Power runs in all metal with just a small amount of adjustablle iron disc...It does not have a conventional Ground Balance system...it just has more of a hot rock reject setting...It aslo is the most powerful detector I have ever used in air or in ground...I dug some shotgun hulls today in a beat up camp at easy 13-14 inches.. will hit 16 inch .58 caliber bullet&]
Re: Seriously hard target today - WOW
March 27, 2012 05:05AM
Great stuff. I'm not sure my Deus can hit a target 16" deep.

What coil were you using?
Re: Seriously hard target today
March 27, 2012 05:48AM
Nice score Keith!

Hey what is a lead sabbot? I found a piece of lead that looks just like that at a site that's as old or older then civil war era. I always figued it had a purpose, but never knew what it might be.

HH,
Brian
Re: Seriously hard target today - WOW
March 27, 2012 06:11AM
I was using the 9" DD round...

The depth the GMaxx Power achieve's even in bad dirt is really amazing...it's up with the deepset I have ran...I am eeking out more depth by running the ground control into the negative...I can get away with it very easily ...Hot rock's double beep and are mushy sounding...The airtest on these thing's is unreal...and get the setting's rigjt for your dirt and they will get close to that depth...The ground itself is quite just the rocks get noisy...It not a conventional detector in the sens that it runs in all metal with 3 tone or 2 tone...iron grunt volume adjustable.....very fast machine ...like a T2...

To get the depth out of it makes it a bit noisy but workable,,A good target is undeniable..

Most of the guy's run the sens at 12 Oclock But I run it at the edge of instability in open area's which is in the red zone beginning about 3 oclock...

The disc just cover's the iron range and it's a very broad..you cant disc even a small piece of chewing gum foil...

Just a powerhouse of a machine ...Strictly designed for total site analysis... a true Relic machine ......

I now see why the guy's in Europe have been so enamored about it....and they seems to run it at half throttle? I see why but the noise is workable with just a few hours of time on it I have become accustom the extra high gain mode...

Ill bet the DEUS can get down there on the right setting's..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 06:23AM by Keith Southern.
March 27, 2012 06:15AM
Hey Cal...A sabbot is a piece off a artillery shell.. it is a lead band towards the bottom...it allows the cannon rifling to spin the projectile...You see the raised area's that's the rifling mark's from the barrel...Its a piece of shrapnel...blown into pieces from the shell exploding..

Keith
March 27, 2012 06:23AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Cal...A sabbot is a piece off a artillery
> shell.. it is a lead band towards the bottom...it
> allows the cannon rifling to spin the
> projectile...You see the raised area's that's the
> rifling mark's from the barrel...Its a piece of
> shrapnel...blown into pieces from the shell
> exploding..
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith. Hmm....maybe it's not the same, I don't think there was any battle action at the site this came from, although the site is c. 1850's. I should post a pic of it, maybe you'd have an idea what it might be.

Brian
March 27, 2012 07:02AM
Quite a few guys here in Europe say the Deus is so close to the GMax that they don't bother with the Deus due to the cost. I heard the depth is about the same with the Deus maybe being a bit more and the Deus having slightly better separation.

Funny, I see the difference a bit like the split between the E-Trac and the Explorer SE users, though the Deus sure has more options and VID.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 07:08AM by earthmansurfer.
March 27, 2012 09:58AM
Man, you need to get yourself a Blisstool and tell us how it is......................LOL

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 27, 2012 11:38AM
Great report Keith, what do feel about the weight and balance of the unit? Is it easy to swing for long periods for you? Also when reading about the unit, I saw that there are a lot of different coils for the Goldmaxx Power.
Keep us updated , I enjoy seeing your finds and reports.

Tom in SC
March 27, 2012 12:18PM
Keith.......... How long have you owned the XP GMP ?
March 27, 2012 12:55PM
Hunting in red dirt, andladen with nails, I read your article closely and was intrigued. It looks like their is hope for me yet concerning red dirt and suare nail beds so thick that every plug of dirt ahs three or four nails in it.
March 27, 2012 02:00PM
Keith ever think you missed your calling and should be writing test evaluation for detectors. In any case keep the info coming as a member of this forum you sure give some
good info and call it as it is. I personally know major detector manufacturers edit field test reports but reading yours I know its the straight scoop with no editing...
March 27, 2012 05:01PM
I find it pretty light Tom!I think the balance is O.K..Not a heavy machine...lighter than a Musketeer mounted in the same fashion under the elbow..

Thanks Tom...I am really enjoying the unit..
Keith
March 27, 2012 05:14PM
Blisstool...That would be nice....

I am afraid of some of those Countries detector's for repair and service if problems arise.

I dont Mind XP as they are an established Manufacturer ......But some of those other's like blisstool and Rutus and Deeptech may be nice but not sure of the Quality?

If a detector is good it will eventually get on the world stage

But it would be fun to try them all!

I see Detech now builds there own machine to use their coil's and might be the best bet over say a deeptech machine...looks built better and I think there from the same country...
[detech-metaldetectors.com]

Keith
March 27, 2012 05:28PM
Hey Earthman...Thanks for the info..

I also see most people run the DEUS in the Goldmaxx Power clone program...Would make sense...I would like to use that program and jump freq's around and see what happen's also do a reactivity change with different freq's...

That would be the beauty of the DEUS

Keith