Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I can't believe it,

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I can't believe it,
March 28, 2012 12:00AM
my Garrett Pro Pointer switch has one foot in the grave. The switch won't stay on, I have to keep it depressed to use it. It's about 3-1/2 years old, the warranty is up.
I'll have to check with Garrett, maybe they will sell the switch by itself. When I opened it up, there was some fine dirt/dust in there.
If anyone opens up there Garrett PP, pull out the rubber switch cover first. If you dont, the switch gets caught on it when sliding out the board, and may break. No, that's not how mine broke. It broke first, then I took it apart.... I know how you guys think.
Re: I can't believe it,
March 28, 2012 12:08AM
I sprayed some WD-40 into my buddy's Bullseye pin-pointer switch and it worked like a charm. Bullseye's are notorious for switches going bad. I figured there was nothing to lose and it worked... two years later it still works! I think dirt is the main culprit.
March 28, 2012 12:57AM
schultzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sprayed some WD-40 into my buddy's Bullseye
> pin-pointer switch and it worked like a charm.
> Bullseye's are notorious for switches going bad. I
> figured there was nothing to lose and it worked...
> two years later it still works! I think dirt is
> the main culprit.

Yeah, switches on Bulleyes have been a problem "forever".-----My first one gave out years ago back in CO and a dealer back there was nice enough to replace/install a new one free of charge.----That one lasted for awhile, sand getting in is the hardest thing on them.
March 28, 2012 01:21PM
Have to agree with you relative contact cleaner as WD-40 leaves a residue that may or may not be compatible for electrical impulses and sure will loosen things up but may hinder the electric impulse as over the years read in many instances not to use WD 40 on metal detectors.
March 28, 2012 05:50PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have to agree with you relative contact cleaner as
> WD-40 leaves a residue that may or may not be
> compatible for electrical impulses and sure will
> loosen things up but may hinder the electric
> impulse as over the years read in many instances
> not to use WD 40 on metal detectors.

I don't know, its been two years of working just fine. It didn't last that long from White's before it stopped working. I'm not sure if the WD-40 keeps the switch from sticking where contact cleaner would dry things out.
March 29, 2012 12:50AM
Oz, maybe send it back Garrett. I read a post somewhere that Garrett was very reasonable in their repair costs when the poster sent the pinpointer in. And it came back like new. I don't know if they do estimates.
March 30, 2012 10:40AM
I called Garrett, they said to send it in and they will replace the switch and clean it up for a very small price. Shipping incl, under $30.
I asked her about sales of the AT Pro, she said they can't make them fast enough....glad to hear that.