Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Observations after using the CZ-3D for almost a week.

Posted by pulltabMiner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Observations after using the CZ-3D for almost a week.
March 28, 2012 01:59PM
1) It is very useful to 'see' the iron in the ground.

2) Iron Grunts with occasional high tones from various angles = ferrous target, usually rusty nail

3) High tone with occasional iron grunt from various angles = non-ferrous target

4) Mid tone (foil, pull tab) with occasional iron grunt = non-ferrous target (1937D wheat cent at 7 inches deep for one)

5) Iron grunt with occasional mid-tone = interesting ferrous target half the time, plain old ferrous target the other half

6) High tone with occasional mid-tone = non-ferrous trash (so far!)

7) I'd rather have sound modulation than not so my volume will remain at 5 for the duration of my CZ-3D experience.

8) Pinpoint ground balance almost always results in a lower ground balance than the pump-coil ground balance.
(I assume that the lower the number, the lower the mineralization??)

I wonder if the difference between the ground balance achieved via pinpoint button method and the bobbing the coil method is consistent enough to simply adjust the ground balance accordingly after a pinpoint ground balance. I will continue to compare the two to see if this is the case.

A FISH TALE THAT HAPPENS TO BE TRUE: Last night I dug up a near 2 foot deep hole in very sandy soil at the park to retrieve a rusty nail whose signal gave NO iron grunt at all (momma said there'd be signals like this!). I actually pried the nail from the sand with my hands once I reached it!! The signal was a very faint, consistent high tone. How's that for depth! And I had a witness! He couldn't believe it either. We were both quite impressed. Too bad it wasn't a Seated coin LOL!

Pinpoint twice, dig once
Re: Observations after using the CZ-3D for almost a week.
March 28, 2012 06:03PM
I know they go deep. I was curious on your deep nail did it repeat all four ways? Did the signal changed as you got closer to it? I have dug some great deep signals with both kinds of results.

Don
HH
March 28, 2012 07:34PM
kilmer,

The signal was 100% consistent from every angle. I rechecked the signal after I had opened the hole and the signal remained the same. After I removed the nail there was no signal so I am convinced the nail caused it. I do intend to return to that spot today just in case.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
March 28, 2012 09:14PM
pulltabMiner, I have found several deep dimes at an angle in the ground with a hightone signal between two iron sounds. I shorten my sweep down to try to get the hightone to repeat a couple of times and if it does I'm going after the source of the signal. Granted, most signals may be nothing but a deep
rusty square nail, but I have been rewarded with some early mercury dimes by digging these signals. Dig these signals and you will find some are old silver dimes........HH

Roger
March 28, 2012 10:25PM
Explained to me years ago by a Fisher tech on what number the ground balance falls has no bearing on high or low mineralization. Do yourself a favor and learn the bobbing method as its more accurate and equates to more depth and stability. Heres the drill for those nasty nails...target has to repeat from at least two directions if 8 inches or more
and perhaps 4 directions if 3-4 inches deep. Iron will just cover more ground in pinpoint than a coin, if you dig a plug and pinpoint seems to move to side of hole replug and move on. Last but not least to me after 20 years with a CZ a coin just sounds more mellow and do get fooled on deep iffies now and then. If not sure dig the darn thing as yes a CZ will get a silver dime real deep. To me iron grunts are inconclusive in many cases as lot of junk in the ground especially those parks that have had foot traffic for over a 100 years...
PS: don't leave home without a good pinpointer as its invaluable especially with deep holes....
March 29, 2012 01:47AM
That's why your Dan,Dan,The CZ Man!
March 30, 2012 12:47AM
Dan-PA ....do you find any of the CZ iron ID'ing techniques to be applicable to newer non-CZ units by First Texas (let's say T2-F75-Omega) I have never used a CZ, so I don't know. Thanks!!
March 31, 2012 04:04PM
Honestly Digger using an early T2 and F70 loved the weight and ergonomics and large meters and multifacets but to get any depth the EMI drove me batty being used to a quiet CZ so didn't last long for any experimentation rel rusty nails and hopefully one of those fellows and there are many that excelled with first Texas units could help you out as just not my cup of tea and more of an Explorer and CZ type guy....
March 31, 2012 04:47PM
The one sure way to eliminate digging nails is to learn how to pinpoint! The detector induces eddy currents on the target. It's a principle of electricity that voltage will accumulate on the pointed ends of targets.

So, if the target doesn't pinpoint in the exact same spot in both Disc and pinpoint mode, then it's iron!!

This goes for every detector.