Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What do you think?

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What do you think?
March 29, 2012 01:42PM
I think I want to go detecting today.
March 29, 2012 02:33PM
If I can.
Re: What do you think?
March 29, 2012 03:09PM
Had the pleasure to meet Andy and have a nice talk with him years ago when he set up a shop in my neck of the woods prior to moving to his wifes area. Very knowlegable guy and indeed all units have their give and take away features.
If you have the bucks you only go around once and so many detectors so little time at least in my case as my best days are behind me.
Imagine prices are pretty well set but shop around and believe Andy has a shop down South and sells them also...
PS: better make more space in the garage or start thinning the herd and might want to PM Sonny as he just got one and could give you an idea what to expect...
March 29, 2012 04:33PM
Dan, ????
I think this guy needs to relax a bit
March 29, 2012 04:36PM
This guy needs to chill out.

I think he's old enough to realize that there is something called deceptive advertising. Notice I did not state FALSE !

I posted a light hearted joke and he calls me out on it. Some people are wound up too tight.
Wow I goofed up.
March 29, 2012 04:57PM
When I clicked on Aarons first post ...just read Andy's evaluation as the rest didn't come up...never saw the complete scenario until I read the last post...Don't have any PC savy and don't know why this happened but have to aplogize and thought Aaron was asking if he should buy one.
Honestly never held or tried the unit so have no opinion on the rest of it call it another senior moment I guess or computer malfunction but anyway my apologizes for my bad..and was unintentional...
Re: Wow I goofed up.
March 29, 2012 05:03PM
No prob. All good Dan.
March 29, 2012 05:10PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS: better make more space in the garage or start
> thinning the herd and might want to PM Sonny as he
> just got one and could give you an idea what to
> expect...

Sonny dont have the Xp Deus no longer, he had to sell his Deus for financial emergency reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 05:11PM by Etsija82.
March 29, 2012 05:24PM
I agree The Marshall could have address the issue a little better however the phrase "see through iron" is all too often used and simply not true.
When they start making a machine that can do that, we better start bringing a bucket with us to the parks, cause thats what we'll need to put all that silver in....
March 29, 2012 07:00PM
Normally I skip his posts. I made myself read this one, which in turn made me wish I'd skipped it.

I really don't see anything wrong with the term "see through iron". We understand what it means. What difference does it really make if you use the term, "see through iron", or "see past iron" or some fancy terminology someone else wants you to adopt? Makes no difference to me. Some might say that it misleads newcomers to the hobby. To that I reply that newcomers to the hobby are clueless anyway.

my nickel.

HH
Mike
March 29, 2012 07:17PM
It's a figure of speech which can be correct, depending on its usage.

It's like telling someone, "I see right through you". Unless you have Xray vision, it is not correct in the literal sense.

There are bigger things in life to worry about.
March 29, 2012 08:12PM
Mike -Agreed

Detectorist -LOL, well said.

I am pretty careful with how I choose words, but I think it's pretty clear what "Iron see through" is trying to communicate. I never actually took it literally.

Gonna hit the hay soon... Oops
March 29, 2012 11:09PM
"I reply that newcomers to the hobby are clueless anyway"
Mike H. beat me to the punchsmiling smiley

Most newcomers really don't practice due dilligence on the technical aspects of the hobby before purchasing. Having worked in sales for years (and was a honest salesperson..lol...yes, they really do exist) a 'detector' is an emotional purchase. The mfg's are well aware of this and gear their advertising for the 'emotional effect'. "They all do it in varying degrees". Some mfg's 'stretch it' more than others IMHO, Listing mfg's names is not necessary to be mentioned regarding these business practices. It is, and always has been, the detector industy' practice, to do this type of advertising whereby the good aspects are emphasized and negatives are not mentioned. Oh wait!!! That's how 99% of all advertising is done in the business world smiling smiley
March 29, 2012 11:40PM
Aaron , Marshall's comment about the term (("See through" in relation to 'seeing through iron" )) and his possible misunderstanding and or dislike of why the terminology is used, is subjective. First of all we don't know if Marshall is being literal or figurative with his understanding of the terms.

In all advertising, in all sales pitches, there are buzz words, subjective, suggestive and some times with not quite literal phrases that lead the target audience to a defined bullet point. That bullet point is usually aimed at the largest audience in a group, with the hopes that they will acknowledge and understand the bullet point, create the desire of need or want and hopefully motivate that person to start the buying cycle. You first see it when it is pitched, desire it, after the features and benefits are given / exploited, you then buy it.

Marshall's disdain with the terminology sounds like he has been personally disappointed with some aspect of the meaning but really only Marshall knows. He's puffed up about it on Finds Treasure Forum and looks like he's cocked and loaded. Too much energy to expend on such a trivial matter. I know that there are most likely 10's of thousands of people who have responded to and understand that bullet point. I'm one of them but, then again I fully understood the sales pitch.
March 30, 2012 12:04AM
Aaron wrote, When they start making a machine that can do that, we better start bringing a bucket with us to the parks, cause thats what we'll need to put all that silver in....

bucket, a barrel, if we dig the silver we have to take the iron out too, think how clean America will be after this smiling smiley