Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BE TAKING THE ETRAC AND 6" EXCELERATOR COIL OUT TODAY

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
BE TAKING THE ETRAC AND 6" EXCELERATOR COIL OUT TODAY
March 29, 2012 04:48PM
WILL BE TAKING THE 6" COIL FOR A TEST DRIVE TODAY.
SO FAR IT HOLDS ITS ON (COMPARED TO THE STOCK COIL) IN DEPTH AND RESPONSES IN MY TEST GARDEN. STAY TUNED.
Re: BE TAKING THE ETRAC AND 6" EXCELERATOR COIL OUT TODAY
March 29, 2012 07:36PM
markg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WILL BE TAKING THE 6" COIL FOR A TEST DRIVE
> TODAY.
> SO FAR IT HOLDS ITS ON (COMPARED TO THE STOCK
> COIL) IN DEPTH AND RESPONSES IN MY TEST GARDEN.
> STAY TUNED.

Mark when you report your results, could you please post your settings (excpert screen and audio settings)?

I have this coil too, and have found it to be quite good, but I think I need to tweak my audio settings, as I think I changed something. I'm having a difficult time telling between deep and shallow targets, and my silver flutey audio seems to have dissapeared on deeper targets....I dunno.
March 29, 2012 07:48PM
I'll gladly do it.
I did some test in my garden yesterday and the results were very pleasing.
I could acquire each target with great consistency. Good tone. The VDI numbers were a little off, but I'll test that this afternoon. The AT Pro can not find 3 of these targets with the stock coil and running in pro mode with sensitivity maxed. This small coil, in my opinion is what I've needed for my Etrac. I was also surprised that the auto sensitivity raised up to 27 which is very unusual for my area.
I'll keep you posted.
March 30, 2012 11:33AM
Had a great time with the 6” coil yesterday and here are a few of my thoughts and findings? First, this small coil requires a slow sweep speed. Da, small coil, used for trash not open field hunting. Go fast and you will miss, miss, targets. Took a little time to finally slow down and targets started showing up.
Coins up to 6” deep hit hard with a definite, solid high tone and the VDI were surprisingly accurate, even though the depth meter seemed to be a little off (not really a problem anything over 6” deep I usually dig anyway). During the evening I tried many different settings but settled on ground difficult and trash high, also tried the fast on but I switched back to normal on that setting. Went to a small area about 20 x 20 where all my hunting buddies had found numerous silvers and wheats in the past and to my surprise I found a nickel. A nickel you say, but this ground was clean of everything but the trash. That is where a slow sweep speed and patience really paid off. My hunting buddy could not believe it. I ended up with 3 wheat pennies and of course the nickel, not bad for a worked out place. My deepest coin was about 6 ½” deep and it gave a very loud repeatable tone that called for me to dig. Not sure just how deep this coil will find coins, but I have a small ring buried in my test garden at 7” deep and the coil has no problem locating it.
My biggest obstacle was slowing down, I’d always hunted with the stock coil and it was hard to slow down. I’d like to thank Jerry Clenney aka “Tinfoil” down in Louisiana for sending the coil to me and giving me the heads up on what to expect.
I'm very excited about taking the coil to some of the old trashy areas where the stock coil shuts down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 02:49PM by markg.
March 30, 2012 04:04PM
Always a nice treat to scam a few of those non-existent coins with a small coil. Good job. And thanks for the reminder on the slower sweep speed. I have a tendency to forget about that in the heat of the moment when using my small coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 04:07PM by TerraDigger.
March 30, 2012 05:11PM
Great results Mark. I was equally as shocked with the 6X8 SEF. In the field it hits hard on coins to 7" - 8" or so, 9" seem to be where it peters out. Remember my ground is somewhat iron mineralized. The separation is very good but if the trash is really high I would want to go with the 5" coil, maybe the 6" could work in very high trash too? I almost see the 6X8 as an in between coil, so not sure where the 6" falls.

BTW - How do you determine to use ground difficult or neutral? I followed the instructions in the manual (made a video on it as well) and was a bit shocked that ground neutral is a bit better in my ground! Here is a really short video I made showing how to select which is better - [www.youtube.com]

Again, really nice results you got - congrats,
Albert
March 31, 2012 12:44PM
I've found one thing to be true in all cases but mostly in my test garden. I've got two targets that can not be detected while in auto sensitivity +3, but switching to manual at the same setting reveals their location, below is how I set the machine up.

I've had only a few places where the auto sensitivity will jump up to 26-28, but that doesn't mean the best channel has the highest settings applied to it.
So if I'm in an area where deeper targets could be, I'll switch to manual and set it to the highest auto setting, that way I know for sure deepest channel is set equal to the others. The area where I hunt is an iron bearing red clay. In fact there are iron mine in the two counties where I live.
March 31, 2012 07:15PM
I just bought a 6" Ex coil. Can't wait to play with it. I've got a couple sites that the eTrac just basically nulls in, even with nearly an open screen.