Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Representational systems

Posted by pulltabMiner 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Representational systems
March 30, 2012 03:07PM
It is said that people have a representational system that is stronger than the others. Some people may identify themselves as strongly auditory while others may identify themselves as strongly visual.

As such, I believe that the people who develop an educated ear, are probably people who were strongly auditory to begin with. This is not say that one couldn't, through effort, develop an educated ear, I am just suggesting that being able to discern the subtleties of an audio signal, i.e. the beginning, the middle, and the end of a signal, comes easier to a person with a strong auditory representational system.

I can tell you without the shadow of a doubt that I am strongly visual. I love my V3i for that very reason. I love the charts and graphs and I am in the very early stages of learning to detect the subtle difference in the visual representations of signals in the V3i.

There is a third major, albeit rare, representational system, the kinesthetic (touch). I wonder if there would be a way to build a metal detector that would present the signals via electronic sensations on a touch bar in the handle of the machine for people with strong kinesthetic sensibilities.

By the way, we all process the world around us using all three major representational systems (there is also olfactory -smell and gustatory -taste) but we often have one that is stronger than the others.

Just a thought.

Pinpoint twice, dig once

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 04:53PM by pulltabMiner.
Re: Representational systems
March 30, 2012 03:47PM
Very interesting.
March 30, 2012 05:18PM
I miss the V3i as I really really liked the screen. Even though I go by tone first, I would always check the screen before diggin a target. I like the E-Trac for the same reason.

You might laugh, but ever hear of "face reading"? Well, an odd number of musicians have larger ears. So, what you are saying makes sense, not to judge people on how they look but clearly an extra 1/2" of ear makes a difference! So, it might start with a small advantage like better hearing or vision and then we lean on that advantage and it increases through life. Getting back to the face reading, I have quite large eyes - not proof of anything, but interesting correlation as I am clearly a visual person (with great hearing but not great at all on guitar!).

I've wondered about a sensory input for detectors, sort of like a vibrating plate (e.g. - force feedback) or the like, but doubt that would go anywhere.

So, you guys that are more auditory, sound first guys - got bigger ears than average?
And you visual guys...?
March 30, 2012 06:17PM
I quess I'm kinesthetic, I really like my Pro Pointer's vibration more than the audio signal. I've always been telekinesthetic as far as learning. I never really thought about it much, till my wife (she is a teacher) pointed it out to me.
March 30, 2012 06:43PM
The Ears is my detecting sense by far.

The display of the V3 satisfy my eye judgment, for me its the best visual metaldetector out there.

How I wish i could blend the sound from a GMP with a V3i display.

Or even much simpler. The color polar plot from a V3 on a GMP.

EDIT,,, maybe i have to add.

ID numbers are prejudgment from the electronics. So are a plain dull, beep, plong , pip or even a loud boing given by the electronics prejudgment of conductivity.

Both ears and eyes can be used by the brain to judge a signal if the sound hold volumes of info and the visual screen holds food for the brain. like polar plot...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 07:57PM by frnifo.
March 30, 2012 07:38PM
The secret is to blend it all together and lets face many attributes are God given not learned....Gosh user friendly comes to mind but some guys are in tweakers heaven with a lot of bells and whistles so do it your way and may a smile be on your lips whether it be from a full pouch,thrill of the hunt, enjoying nature, getting a little exercise or perhaps your favorite beverage after a day in the field enjoying a most enjoyable hobby for many...
March 30, 2012 08:59PM
Precisely! I've often wondered what more information could be gleaned if all the senses were recruited during a hunt. Thus, as I hone my listening skills with the CZ-3D (I put a small piece of cardboard to cover the display to rely on the sounds only) I was reminded that some people may naturally do better with one sense or another and what would happen if we could tap into the tactile senses as well to make it all one 'whole body system'. Of course, this may never happen but it is fun to speculate.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
March 30, 2012 09:29PM
I've wondered if there are any blind metal detectorists out there and if so, could you imagine how well they "see" via the sounds? Would love to hear from (or about) one about the nuances. We could probably learn a lot.
March 30, 2012 10:29PM
Hi,,,I'm kinda confused since I thought that a ((((representational system))) was a neuro-linguistic programming model that examines how the human mind processes information.....LoL....I guess I use E.S.P.& fortune tellers....LoL....JJ
March 31, 2012 03:14PM
I believe WHERE you hunt makes a difference as well. I now beach hunt.... but use the Exp SE that i used to coin/relic hunt. But rarely look at the sceen any more.... or i just use the Xcal on the dry/wet sand. Thou i go by sound when old coin hunting up North i like having the screen there...... here in Fl a Sov would likely be my preference since i dig most targets.

Dew
March 31, 2012 05:19PM
Me personally would have to go with a machine with a good audio system...

There's lot's of audio quality's that just cant show up on a meter...Especially when working in iron laden area's...And for that account even very deep object's out of the meter's I.D. range ...

If I want to cherry pick I like a meter some what but 3-4 tone's is all I need for that ...Working iron 2 tone's ..And now a must have is the iron volume control....!

Just my take

Keith
March 31, 2012 05:48PM
One of the things people have asked for in a new detector, is a line on a graphical display that spikes or sinks in response to iron. A visual threshold if you will. Obviously, this kind of think would appeal to those of us who prefer visuals. The line should be sensitive enough to show the nuances of the signal.

I agree that sound conveys tons of information and to that end I continue to train my ear to recognize that information. Although with new detectors producing the sound digitally, I believe we will lose (or have lost?) that advantage.

Pinpoint twice, dig once
March 31, 2012 06:27PM
Yes the older analog audio convey's alot of info...The trend is towards digital now...Even the simple Tesoro Cibola has digitized Audio...The first digital's where just generated beep and thats it ...

I have noticed in the last few years the digital audio is coming into it's own...more nuance once again coming into the signal...I think the Audio generator's are becoming less expensive and we the detectorist are starting to see it...

I can listen to Pink Floyd on a Record and listen to Pink Floyd on a C.D. and the C.D. sure does sound cleaner with all the subtleties able to be heard over the record noise.Oh I am sure some part's are lost on the edges of notes and such but a clean signal sure does let me hear all the litle thing's that the band put on there album's ..But 20 years ago a C.D. to me sounded clipped compared to the record....Have I gotten use to the Digital or has the digital gotten better ...

I think the digital has gotten better .. And we are now starting to see it trickle into the Detector's ...I can tell the GMP has a digital type audio report but it sure does have a lot of nuances'..Ill bet the AT-PRO audio is digitized and least in some aspect and it speaks volume's...

But an old school Tesoro is still hard to beat when sniffing through iron listening for little spits and sputter's ..
Or a full volume old white's ...

I hope they keep in mind on future project's just how important Audio really is.

O by the way I use Pink Floyd as a representation because they used so much little sounds hid in there music it sometimes goes untoiced without headphone's...LOL!

Keith