Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deepest coin you ever dug.

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deepest coin you ever dug.
April 01, 2012 01:36PM
In a drained lake I got down on both knees and used my sand to scoop until a large black disc was at bottom of hole..Guesstimate was 16 inches of a walking half dollar and imagine the wet enviroment helped...Never would have dug on land unless in an isolated area with a shovel and most old coins are 6 inches but we have areas where 10-12 inch coins are common. Yep I was using a CZ but I would guess you all knew that...
Re: Deepest coin you ever dug.
April 01, 2012 01:40PM
Silver dime at about 9" in marsh type grassland. Have to use a shovel when I dig there. Most targets there are from 4" down to 8-9".

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"
April 01, 2012 02:08PM
Hi,,, I dug a silver quarter last summer at a confirmed 7".....But I swear about 30 years ago I was using a Garrett machine and pulled some slimy wet green Injun's at about 9"....I guess I could of been dreaming but it's a good question anyways Dan......JJ
April 01, 2012 02:34PM
Last summer I dug a 1913 Buffalo nickel from a lake at 12"+ w my Excalibur.
April 01, 2012 02:49PM
I can honestly say over 3 feet but here is the catch. I hit a patch of 8 Reales on a beach that had been replentished and as I dug deeper and deeper, they just kept coming out. Friend of mine went back the following day and was in a 4 foot hole with a foot of water in it, pulling them out.

So I guess that puts depth of a coin in a different perspective.

I did dig a solo 8 Reale that was about 20-22 inches down and can say that was my deepest single coil find.

All dug with my CZ6a and 10.5 inch coil.
April 01, 2012 03:14PM
In a park, I dug about 10" on a target when the tone changed significantly (using my X-1). At nearly 14" I dug out an Indian. The catch was I had missed pinpointed a Merc by quite a bit at 8" (way on the side of the hole). That reaffirmed that there are tons of targets too deep to hear because as cool as the Explorer is in that environment, it can't hear a 14" Indian regardless of conditions.
April 01, 2012 04:01PM
Recently I have dug quite a few coins at down to 9" in somewhat iron mineralized. I did dig an iron cent (penny sized) at exactly 12" and it was giving intermittent high tones with my E-Trac. Wouldn't register out of the ground! Kind of funny there.

All my deeper signals were with my E-Trac in iron mineralized ground - never got down that far before with a T2, Omega or V3i (the VID petered out around 7" most of the time but not on silver). When I got to a less iron mineralized area the hits down to 8" or so, sounded like 4" - was sandy soil.
April 01, 2012 05:13PM
On the beach, I dug a clad quarter at 20". The sand was damp.
Near the same location I dug a clad dime at 16". After I extracted the target, I waived it in front of the coil at the same distance and it was not detected.
Damp salt sand must create a good halo, the salt helps make that electrical connect in the soil. These two items are what made me understand just how deep a CZ3D can go when the circumstances are right. Sens was at around 5 and I was in Auto/All Metal.
I've also dug a lawnmower'd quarter at about 14" in netural soil at a park near my home.
April 01, 2012 05:45PM
Indian Head at 11" in a park with Sovereign and 8" coil.

Rick N. MI
April 01, 2012 07:10PM
Alot of people don't beleive me when I tell them this ,But I was hunting and old isolated picnic grove with hardly any trash and the coins that were left were deep. I was using my original CZ-3D 1021 that I bought new and a sunray 12.5'' coil that had just came out. I got a soft high tone that would not pinpoint that kept bouncing back and forth from High coin to zinc. High tone. I dug down at 14'' was a paper thin Barber dime. I couldn't beleive it as I was using a samson shovel being that I was in the woods which unlike some newbees in my area I refuse to use in a park or open area. Anyways the blade is 8'' and I could almost measure twice that to the bottom of the hole! And there were leaves on the ground as it was fall so it probally was a little more.
April 01, 2012 07:35PM
I believe you.
I usually don't find the worn coins that deep, maybe the area was filled in a long time ago.
April 01, 2012 10:01PM
9" on 1940 U.S. nickle (nothing else in hole). Teknetics T2. Max disc was being used (Tom D. explained how that could happen with nickel). Stock 11" DD coil. Grass turf in front of library. Soil mineralization was high (Idaho)
April 02, 2012 01:05AM
12" war nickel
April 02, 2012 01:14AM
Dug a clad dime(1984) at 10.5". Funny thing though, about an hour later I dug a 1936 dime less than 50 feet away, same soil, at 3". The deep one was below mowed turf, the old one was in a non mowed area. I've always wondered if the vibration from the mowers contributed to the sink rate??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 03:29PM by Beach.
April 02, 2012 02:16AM
10" (inch deeper then pro pin pointer) on a 1840 Seated dime with the F 75 LTD. HH jim tn
April 02, 2012 03:12AM
Clad quarter down in Florida in dry sand. Fisher 1266-X with Hot Head coil....was over 12 inches deep. I couldn't hunt on the wet sand with it and had to stay in the dry sand. Wish I still had that combo too. That was a nice setup.

I use a Predator Tool long handled "Dixie" shovel. Blade is 4 1/2 inches wide by 7 7/8 long. I can dig a plug with it just as good as anybody I've seen with the hand diggers. I carry a shimmy towel in my digging pack...throw it down on the ground and put the plug and loose dirt on it. My right knee don't want to let me do much bending and raising, so I have to limit it as much as I can. Plus, since I can't openly carry my firearm in public (always concealed carry though) I at least have a long handled tool thrown over my shoulder to deter punks. :-)
April 02, 2012 03:19AM
12" clad Quarter in Florida wet sand with my Troy Shadow X5. Wish I still had one.
April 02, 2012 04:16AM
Large Cent at 12"

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 02, 2012 04:47PM
9 1/2" Seated quarter, local park, irony soil, 11" Pro coil on Explorer SE Pro...

Steve
April 03, 2012 04:43PM
I have dug quite a few past 12" but never remember seeing one past 14"..

I dug an 1863 Indian head the deepest at 14" I remember marking the depth on my shovel handle and measuring it later an it was hair below 14"..It was in some loose dirt in a Civil War camp on Hilton Head...Was just barely a whisper in all metal ..checked it over in Disc and no sound on zero disc...Pulled about 3-4 inches of dirt out of the hole and it started clicking like a deep nail pulled a couple more inches of dirt out an it smoothed right up on my Bandido 2Umax with 10.5 concentric coil...

Besides being a gorgous green it was in awesome almost uncirculated condition...

Keith
April 03, 2012 05:20PM
Ironically, my best three coins are half dimes....1851, 1853, and 1858....all three were all of 2" to 4" deep. Dug the '58 in a road bed on my parent's property in Tennessee. The 51 came from Missionary Ridge in a yard we were digging Civil War relics in. The 53 came from a picket post site that almost 100 yrs later, was a farm house and barn. I had dug a Merc dime from the 1940s and when I dug the plug for what turned out to be the half dime, I could see a silver coin in the edge of a dirt clod. I picked the clod up not knowing what it was...went over to my buddy and said "got a silver coin...what you reckon it's a merc or rosie?" and I broke the clod open and there was miss seated liberty. He about fell down...it almost took his breath. He kept wanting to see it over and over again and I ended up just giving it to him that day. I told him "good relics are hard to find...but good friends are harder to find...so here, you keep that". He had never dug one before and was just blown away by seeing it and still to this day he's not dug one.
April 03, 2012 06:00PM
Yeah Daniel the Half dime and 3 center seems to be the prevalent silver coin in the camps down here in GA...The big coins turn out to be large cent's...Wish The big one's were Half's and dollars and the little ones were gold Piece's..LOL!!!

Congrats on th coin's I love digging coins out of camps ...Nothing like a dated civil war coin....

I have a buddy who found an 1861 Silver Dollar in a camp here around the house...Talk about a surprise..

Keith
18" clad dime
April 04, 2012 01:25AM
My deepest was a few 18" clad dimes on the lake michigan shoreline. 15 years ago, using a sovereign xs w8" coin search coil. Sensitivity as hi as it could be run, disc as low as possible, with iron mask on.Listening for a tiny bump in the threshhold sound. It must have been just the right dampness, and that machine was a good one. Wish I kept it.
April 04, 2012 01:53AM
large cent
April 04, 2012 05:16PM
15" with a 10.5 coil....in sandy soil..seated dime with a Fisher CZ7a in a hunted out park amazing!!! I was on my stomach arm down to the elbow...I'll never forget it...the audio boost kept giving it a louder signal..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 08:58PM by Donny nj.
April 04, 2012 06:23PM
Donny nj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 15" seated dime with a Fisher CZ7a in a hunted out
> park amazing I was on my stomach arm down to the
> elbow...I'll never forget it...

WOW! I'm impressed to say the least.
That is almost DOUBLE the depth my Tom tuned 1021 CZ-3D (8" coil) will do on a dime in my midwest soil.

I found a seated dime once @ 10 1/2" using a Garret ADS with a big loop (think it was 12").
Found another one at the same depth with my CZ-7 with 10.5" loop in the same park a few years later.
April 04, 2012 09:00PM
Deepest I have found on the turf was a SLQ measued a bit over 10" deep and it was a perfect 5 star signal. Oddly was in an area with several E-tracs and Explorers that had walked right over it, but the F75 LTD was in it's zone that night......usually it's not a deep silver machine in my experience.
April 04, 2012 09:02PM
Lipservice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Donny nj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 15" seated dime with a Fisher CZ7a in a hunted
> out
> > park amazing I was on my stomach arm down to
> the
> > elbow...I'll never forget it...
>
> WOW! I'm impressed to say the least.
> That is almost DOUBLE the depth my Tom tuned 1021
> CZ-3D (8" coil) will do on a dime in my midwest
> soil.
I found a seated dime once @ 10 1/2" using a
> Garret ADS with a big loop (think it was 12").
> Found another one at the same depth with my CZ-7
> with 10.5" loop in the same park a few years
> later.

A CZ with a big coil in the right condition can do amazing things under the right condition......it only happened once...deep iron yes....but not a dime...I am more used to 6-12' range with a 10.5 CZ.

here is a nice air test with a CZ..

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2012 09:24PM by Donny nj.
April 04, 2012 11:50PM
My 1021 CZ-3D and my son's FT CZ-3D (both validated by Tom) air test like the one in that video. But in the ground... where we both do all of our detecting... is a different story.
April 12, 2012 02:34AM
Hey Dan, remember trading a Sov for a Cortez( with loose batteried,sorry) that wad me and I still have the Sov. Anyway was using it with the old S12,and dug an Indian that was as deep as my lesche,plus an inch. This was in a park,and it was a pain to not make a mess,and the dang penny was under a root. I hunted all the time with some of the best explorer users around,and that Sovereign held its own.