Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

No Je mode for 4 months?

Posted by Indiana Heath 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
No Je mode for 4 months?
August 16, 2007 09:23PM
After 40 hours on 75 and now running sens of 99,de mode, and monotone, I wondered why you said to NEVER run in Je for the first 4 months? Number of hours on machine would be a better time estimate wouldn't it?

Just like a small kid, I had to see what was going on with Je running 99sens, monotone. I did not get struck by lightening!! I know you have a good reason for suggesting that...just very curious as I am sure are others.

Brad
If I couldnt use JE mode..........
August 16, 2007 09:35PM
I'd probably sell the 75 in a week. While the separation qualities of the 75 are great even in De mode, in De mode its not nearly as deep as what Im used to using, and for my type of hunting, it would be essentially useless.
I understand the concept of really learning the machine in a relatively tame mode before jacking it up, but for an experienced user it seems to me it would be more productive to to try to get a handle on all aspects of the machine as soon as possible.........
Re: No Je mode for 4 months?
August 17, 2007 01:18AM
It would cause you to be very cautious in this "JE" mode.... and to expect the 'unexpected'....,,,, as the "JE" mode presents a entirely different operating mode with completely different set-up procedures... causing different operating and performance characteristics.
Yes, you are certainly correct about "operating hours" under your belt before diving into the "JE" mode; yet most folks progress too soon into this mode.... and achieve varying levels of discouragement because of it's 'challenging' presentation. Building confidence is paramount BEFORE attempting the "JE" mode. In "JE" mode; it's much more sensitive to very small targets AND much more sensitive to low conductors..... including iron. The Disc numbers take on a different set of real-world operating parameters... unlike bench-testing and unlike the other process modes. A trashy Fe infested site in the "JE" mode is QUITE different.... as you have probably witnessed.

Tom
August 17, 2007 01:25AM
Does that apply to those who have a year on the T2? It sound's like there is a lot to learn on the 75. I am going to order one next week. I am curious to see how it stacks up against the T2.

J
August 17, 2007 08:23PM
Julien,

Your learning curve is cut in half..... if you have a year under your belt with the T-2. But..... I still EVER SO STRONGLY recommend that you DO NOT dabble with the "JE" mode for at least the first set of batteries. Build YOUR confidence with the F-75 FIRST; ..... then you may try the "JE" mode. Yes, it's THAT different...... especially at higher Sens settings. It will not go deeper on dime & half-dime sized targets whilst in "JE" mode. Air-rifle BB's and .177 lead pellets... YES....(esp lower conductors). And do not feel like you are handicapped by running the 75 in the 'de' or 'pf' mode.
....Remember; A Max'd out T-2 is ~ equiv to a F-75 @ Sens '82'.

Tom
Re: If I couldnt use JE mode..........
August 17, 2007 08:31PM
Streak,
MOST folks may not be at your detecting skill level, especially those of whom have never used a T-2.... and jump directly into a F-75. The "JE" mode is not for beginners.... unless you start your detecting experience in the dry-sand beaches... or are nugget prospecting; of which (in general) are not Fe nail infested sites.
The "JE" mode is definately more sensitive on small low-conductors..... and a bit deeper on these small low-conductors.

Tom
August 18, 2007 01:26AM
I am still recovering several of the buttons,clasps fasteners, and buckles with the 75 at the iron pit. I have dug over 600 non fe targets to date. I getting comfortable with the settings you advised. I will keep on for a long time at this place as I am getting some very good and unusual finds and learning the 75 in this mode. I sure appreciate your advice. Is the JE mode any more sensitive to microjewelry on the beach than the GoldBug2 or even comparable?
August 18, 2007 11:09AM
With the F-75 at max Sens and on 'de' or 'pf' mode..... a .22 Long Rifle rimfire bullet/projectile (40 Grains) is a formidable target in this mode.
With "JE" mode invoked on F-75,,, with all other settings the same...... a .22 Short hollow-point rimfire bullet/projectile (26 Grains) is a formidable target to F-75.
A (.177 Cal) lead BB from an air-rifle to the Gold Bug II is a formidable target.

---The Gold Bug II easily takes the lead for sensitivity to small targets; BUT..... it is SPECIFICALLY designed for gold prospecting in the first place. On the F-75..... this is only a secondary function. ... Although the F-75 actually performs with respectable performance (#1) for a all-purpose unit. Nothing trumps the GB-II.... except for the very high-end PI prospecting units. And the blessing about the GB-II is the "Iron" Disc switch.

Different subject; ... So how many NON-FERROUS targets have you found with the F-75 in the iron pit BEHIND the Minelab Explorer w/8" coil?

Tom
August 18, 2007 04:13PM
Tom

I have found over 500 more non Fe targets behind the Se to date!!! The ground is still giving up good stuff every time I go out. I detect from different directions. Also I have cleaned out many square nails and other Fe items that are laying next to the good targets. This opens it up for more finds. As I stated earlier I got rid of SE after I saw what I was missing with it. Have found some rare buttons along with the buckles and clasps. I have some eager buyers awaiting. If I was a detector salesman trying to sell a 75 to an Explorer user, it wouldn't take long at this site to convince them. I am finding some very small parts of shoe eyelets that may be next to a big square nail. Can usually tell now if it is a small item or something larger if there are not too many other good targets in the hole. Sometimes I get 5 or six with the first hole.

Brad
August 19, 2007 06:08PM
Wow..... Did not know that you bailed on your Explorer. I probably would not have sold it.... as it is superior in Georgia/Tenn/Ala deep red clay, and is a great wet-salt machine.
I'm stunned that you have found over 500 more non-Fe good targets behind the Explorer.... and with that many numbers... it sure will build confidence in your abilities to differentiate non-Fe targets over bad targets in a trashy field! Awesome photo's. Thanks! By now..... you most probably have had several experiences of hearing a good target before you dig....... Then excavate/dig a hole and lose the target in the pile of excavated dirt. Dropping the Disc to '0' and start picking the nails out of the ecavated pile of dirt,,,, you will then find the orig intended non-ferrous target. And it may not be very big! I lose targets all the time..... which requires dropping Disc to '0' and start sanatizing out the nails to find the target. This holds true with any unit; however, I find myself taking the F-75 only to iron pits.

Tom
August 20, 2007 02:29AM
The old papermill site sure has been the perfect place to learn the 75 in iron. There were 2 papermills and I have been working over what is the foundation of one of the buildings. After the vigilanties blew the dam in 1881 the mills went out of business and never reopened. All the trash to them( the hardware from the clothing was just left there(treasure to a modern day hunter). I could probably recover things there for months or a few years. Won't really be detecting anywhere much that I would need explorer. When I come to Orlando at Christmas because my daughter works at Disney, will be taking GB2 to Coco beach to microjewelry hunt. I have had many times that the target will disappear when excavating. I spread the dirt out thin and clear with a hand held probe...the area is semiwooded and it doesn't hurt anything to do it this way...makes multiple recoveries easy. If I get a good unbroken tone that registers 6 or 7 I dont dig as it is usually a large piece of iron, but if I get any kind of repeatable tone and numbers jump around I dig as there is always a good target in with some iron. I am using the sunray gold phones...I set the toggle so I don't get a loud tone on shallow target also it makes it quiter so the chatter of running on high sens does not bother me.
August 20, 2007 06:20PM
In addition to last post which I thought didn't make it on I was going to say I sold Explorer because I have a Sov GT that I set up for shallow water lakes and shallow water salt. Can use in in bad soil if I need, so will still be able to hunt those type soils. I have recovered more small pieces of non Fe targets behind the Explorer. Often I may get 5-6 targets in one hole. One 3foot square area I worked took me 1.5 hours to clear of targets. I have over 300 good relics that are fully intact...many partial pieces. I am amazed at how a very tiny target will be recoginizable next to a fair sized piece of iron. The many recoveries have built my confidence on recovering good items in the iron.

I have 2 buttons that are of particular interest. The name of a town in Indiana and the name of a person are on them. Maybe the State of Indiana issued uniforms to the soldiers with id on their buttons. Will have to do some research on this. If anyone has heard of something like this I'd like to know.
August 20, 2007 10:36PM
....Hence, the exact reason for a Disc setting of '6'. The F-75 learning curve is virtually zero..... UNLESS you are learning the unit in the iron pits (as you are doing); of which takes time and patience. Sounds like you have mastered this. .... Any other area (away from the iron-pits) to you would be elementary. ..... It sure sounds like the area your are in...could last a long time. Your finds are very 'site-specific/unique' to your geographics. An added bonus. Your Explorer opened up one door. The F-75 opened up another door w/approx 100% more targets being found in the exact same area. If only we knew; approx 1300% more targets remain undiscovered.

...One addicting hobby!

Tom