Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Diminishing Returns & Notch Discrimination?

Posted by Joe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Joe
Diminishing Returns & Notch Discrimination?
April 12, 2012 08:03PM
For those that have been using notch discrimination, what strategy seems to work best for you?
Up to this point I’ve been of the mind “if it ain’t iron, dig it”. But now that I have the AT Pro I’m reconsidering that attitude, especially since I hunt mainly in the water. I’d like to keep the time I spend collecting clad down without jeopardizing the largest majority of jewelry.
Of course there are times when dig everything will still apply, like older virgin areas where I won’t want to pass up good silver. A 20+ to 1 melt/face value sure couldn’t be hurting collector prices ( [www.coinflation.com] ).
I know a lot you don't want to risk missing a single gold ring but there has to be a point where the effort to reward ratio becomes counter productive. It's like playing poker, just because a pair of 3's would have won the hand doesn't make staying in the smart choice

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 10:00PM by Joe.
Re: Diminishing Returns & Notch Discrimination?
April 12, 2012 10:18PM
To me notching is for trashy parks not water hunting as one nice gold ring can make up for a lot of clad or even silver coins....My advice is to run disc. low and dig all to a point..
Most water units don't have a meter and of course yours does and shouldn't take long to what the obvious junk numbers are and at your discretion can let those go undug.
Having hunted the water years ago I know digging is hard work and fatiguing....Honestly when I water hunted and had a meter would have only dug the quarters in most cases but all situations differ as a large college type 10kt ring can come is as a zinc penny so all in all your call to dig or not as still remember the large 14 kt diamond tennis bracelet that a fella found and it came in as a lowly zinc penny.
Having said all the above its your call my friend but do yourself a favor and dig all in the water lest you let some nice jewelry for the next guy...

Whether playing cards or water hunting a little luck sure don't hurt...sure applies....along with playing the percentages and either way you can get burned whether its losing a pot or a nice gold ring..