Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I am getting lot's of questions on the DEUS

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I am getting lot's of questions on the DEUS
April 14, 2012 03:20AM
from people here on the forum...

I made the statement before getting it that it would be the type machine it would take awhile to come to grips with....

After a week I still cant make a absolute statement as if it is a one upper...

The machine's designer is after one thing with his design...I am sure of this...and that is unmasking in iron...I dont think he is concerned about depth or accurate VDI ....I think he wants to get artifact's out of iron ...His GMP machine is such a machine and this machine is very much like it.....

Now what I have seen this week is very easy target unmasking ...The GMP seems to be a bit more sparky but the DEUS seems to be a bit more how should I say evolved....The designer has done excellent audio work with the digital platform..Almost close to the Analog audio of the GMP..

Not sure about some of the iron not reporting but it may be in the design?Did you see the video where I dug the flying eagle?Thats a mill site and it is loaded in iron nails right in that spot...I checked it this afternoon with the t2 and it was a constant grunt..the video shows the DEUS just barely hearing any sort of iron...but it did get the Flying Eagle in that spot that quit producing years ago...and you will notice it was a clean signal..

I wish I could say something like it 's the greatest machine ever built...but I think alot of tweaking is involved...And don't count the 4Khz out...

Here's a scenario for ya...I was running 4 Khz 0 reactivity yesterday and got the most beautiful signal I have heard yet...Got my buddy to check it with the f-75 ltd BP mode about 90 sens ...The 75 was just a barely scratch of high tone with a faint grunt but a weak signal...Well after much digging it turned out to be a 12 inch deep bent nail...

I know a bent nail is not what you want to hear about but the loudness of the target on 4khz and ease of finding it at depth makes me optimistic that it will get down deep when it is set right....

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 06:06AM by Keith Southern.
Re: I am getting lot's of questions on the DEUS
April 14, 2012 03:28AM
Thanks Keith for your testing and to the one who loaned you the DEUS.

Your gonna have to get it back if XP comes out w a smaller coil.
April 14, 2012 08:20AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Keith for your testing and to the one who
> loaned you the DEUS.
>
> Your gonna have to get it back if XP comes out w a
> smaller coil.

Yeah, thanks Keith but I wonder if a say 5" or 6" coil is a physical impossibility due to the batteries and chip being in the coil???
April 14, 2012 11:06AM
I had speculated on another thread that it might not be commercially viable to produce a small Deus coil, and XP possibly think it unnecessary, too. But it is technically possible, I think. They could strip out some of the complexity, it only needs to work at 12 and 18 KHz, really, maybe only the one frequency.
April 14, 2012 11:54AM
I bought the Deus because of what I thought it would do in iron. I live in a part of the country that is very old for US standards. Young for UK. These old farms and houses are just loaded with iron. Parks too for that matter. The E Trac is a wonderful detector. But even in TTF the iron masks targets. I am very new to the Deus and have so much more to learn, but even a newbie can tell that the Deus is up to the iron task. I'm not going to brag it up to validate my very expensive investment. In fact there is an area or two that I feel the Deus is lacking. Target ID is one. Eventually I hope to find what works best for me and have it saved in a program. That way I can stop scrolling in the menus and concentrate on hunting. I saw thread in a British forum where a guy compared the Deus to the Whites XLT. He was complaining about menu scrolling. On my first hunt I thought to myself I have not scrolled this much since the XLT. Sort of made me laugh when I read my exact thoughts printed by someone else.

But over all I saw that iron was making my E Trac struggle. I added the Deus for that reason. Right now in the very early stages of my Deus relationship I can tell I got an iron beating detector. My opinion!
April 14, 2012 12:38PM
I remember in 93 when I bought a new XLT and opened the the manual and said Huh...fast forward to today and I can program one blindfolded and have a good understanding of what the changeable facets accomplish...Talking to other fellows seems like the V3 is along the same lines and along with the DFX can be a tweakers dream or nightmare.
Deus is the new kid on the block and expect a love hate relationship till its learned well.
No perfect detector or for that matter detectorist and all of them have their plus and minus features and in time thru trial and error along with some excellent testers it will become the favorite of many but doubt if it will be the only one in your arsenal as well one unit can't do it all depending on the situation at hand but again will certainly be the go to detector when heading out for some swinging...for many....
April 14, 2012 12:57PM
goodmore Wrote:
> I bought the Deus because of what I thought it
> would do in iron. I live in a part of the country
> that is very old for US standards. Young for UK.
> These old farms and houses are just loaded with
> iron. Parks too for that matter. The E Trac is a
> wonderful detector. But even in TTF the iron masks
> targets. I am very new to the Deus and have so
> much more to learn, but even a newbie can tell
> that the Deus is up to the iron task. I'm not
> going to brag it up to validate my very expensive
> investment. In fact there is an area or two that I
> feel the Deus is lacking. Target ID is one.
> Eventually I hope to find what works best for me
> and have it saved in a program. That way I can
> stop scrolling in the menus and concentrate on
> hunting. I saw thread in a British forum where a
> guy compared the Deus to the Whites XLT. He was
> complaining about menu scrolling. On my first hunt
> I thought to myself I have not scrolled this much
> since the XLT. Sort of made me laugh when I read
> my exact thoughts printed by someone else.
>
> But over all I saw that iron was making my E Trac
> struggle. I added the Deus for that reason. Right
> now in the very early stages of my Deus
> relationship I can tell I got an iron beating
> detector. My opinion!

Have you tried the Tek G2 or new GB?---Wonderful little "iron beating" detectors.-----I use them both along with the Etrac (depending on the situation).----Feel it is a great combo for my hunting needs & pretty much have all bases covered. (JMO)-------------Del
April 14, 2012 01:03PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Have you tried the Tek G2 or new GB?---Wonderful
> little "iron beating" detectors.-----I use them
> both along with the Etrac (depending on the
> situation).----Feel it is a great combo for my
> hunting needs & pretty much have all bases
> covered. (JMO)-------------Del

I like your advice. I really like a detector to have good VID abilities - it is a part of the fun for me. I know the Deus has awsome sound but I love the E-Tracs stable (CO) numbers. I'm going to wait on another detector - probably the new CZ (or new E-Trac if there is one) and hope they do better in iron and are lighter.
April 14, 2012 01:57PM
Thanks Keith for sharing your experience with the Deus. You experienced guys on this forum are always willing to share your unbiased information about detectors. We get to reap the rewards of your generosity. I feel like I need to buy you a steak dinner or something unless it is towards the end of the month and then it might have to be a bologna sandwich.

Thanks Keith

HH - Randy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 04:09PM by iskirkra.