Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

question for keith southern, tejon vs. at pro

Posted by deathray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
question for keith southern, tejon vs. at pro
April 17, 2012 04:30AM
Or anyone else who has extensive experience with both. Heres my situation, Im relic/ coin hunting in calif.motherload. very mineralized ground,lots of red clay. By some of the mine sites and old homesites its the perverbial carpet of nails. Ive been using the gb pro with 5 inch coil for the nail bed,but would like another option for that,as well as being able to cover more ground with bigger coil. Ive always loved Teseros,still have a bandido. And I even haf a Tejon,but not long enough,and back then I was hitting ghetto parks,which my Sovereign was better suited. Can ya give me your thoughts and which you would choose. Thanks,Ray
Re: question for keith southern, tejon vs. at pro
April 17, 2012 05:55AM
Well there both very capable detector's...But they are both very different....

You will find the AT will like coins a bit better than the Tejon...and will handle iron debris a bit better than a Tejon...The Tejon forte is working through nails and hitting lower conductor's..

One thing about the Tejon to get peak performance is you have to keep the Batteries fresh...when the battery test get's around 4 beeps the perfromance fails...

I would say the tejon is a pure specialty machine for massaging low conductor's out of iron,,,but it's a slow noisy process...But produces...

The AT will get low conductor's out of iron and also let you hear the rejected iron with a unique audio...in bad dirt the AT is able to handle the dirt very well..especially the red clay you speak of...I have alot of that here...The I.D. while small is very accurate..

I like both machine's but the AT would be more of a all rounder and the Tejon more of a pure low conductor relic getter in nails...It has depth also on isolated target's but its a learned trait with it..that takes a few hour's to get....deep taregt's will click like a rejected nail but have sort of smoothness to the click....

The AT on deep target's has a more pronounced drawn out sound ...

If it where me and coins where also on my list the AT and bad dirt make a great combo...Good battery life ...easy depth...nice I.D. if you require such...

Some thought's

Hope it help's

Keith
April 17, 2012 01:12PM
Thanks Keith,I was leaning toward the at due to your past comments about it in bad dirt. Also my son will use it too at times,and it probably be a better fit. Im sure Ill end up with both ,but hard to justify to mama getting two new detectors at once,if ya know what I mean. Thanks again,Ray
April 17, 2012 02:53PM
Hi Ray,

The Tejon is a good detector but for our west coast soil especially up in areas you hunt tough soil will effect Tejon's stability, In good ground such as the San Joaquin valley the Tejon does well but in many areas near the coast line mountains or up in the gold hills it does not fare well.

Have you tried an MXT with the 6X10" DD coil using relic mode? I've owned both the MXT and AT Pro and both are fine detectors but somehow the MXT always is the machine I grab for relic hunting up in the hills.

Hope to hunt with you later in the year, been a long time Ray.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2012 03:03PM by Old California.
April 17, 2012 07:11PM
Hey Paul,been a looong time!Ive used a couple of MXT's,actually one of my favorite detectors. But Im intrigued by the at pros audio,yknow,coming from a sov. And Ive always loved th Teseros,again great audio. Had a Tejon for a short time,but that was in the old Stockton parks days,not a very good match. Hey,left ya a message on kinzli spot. Hope to see ya sooner than later,Ray