Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Omega 8000 vs MXT Pro

Posted by clamdigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Omega 8000 vs MXT Pro
April 23, 2012 01:05PM
Need to know the pro's and con's of each MD. Will be used primarily for relic hunting. EMI is not an issue, am currently using a Cibola with threshold maxed and sensitivity well into the red, just a bit back from full (supertuned). If I went with the Omega I'd be using the 13" for the fields and the smallest coil available in around old stone foundations. The MXT Pro would be similarly equiped if chosen. Not looking to start a comparison war, I know both machines are very good. I'd just like to know the individual advantages and weaknesses. Thanks.

Bob
Nova Scotia
Omega w 11" & 5" DD, 10" Con.
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 01:13PM by clamdigger.
Re: Omega 8000 vs MXT Pro
April 24, 2012 10:23PM
I am waiting for the difference also! Thanks for asking the question!
April 25, 2012 12:36PM
Bump!

Bob
Nova Scotia
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster
April 25, 2012 02:17PM
First and foremost might visit a mult line dealer and try both or perhaps bring it up at a club meeting for hands on comparisons..

Sorry as I misread the post and no nothing of the MXT pro to compare...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 11:48PM by Dan-Pa..
April 25, 2012 04:47PM
Ive had a couple mxt's. Great build quality,little heavy,but balanced well,make sure you have the armstrap. I used it mainly for demo sites and prospecting. Demos.... Using the shooter coil and in relic mode,this is a very good unit. Dig any high signals in iron. Found a couple indians and a barber dime in this enviroment that id correctly and where in the 4-6 inch range.
Prospecting... I prefer my gbpro,and dont think this is what your after anyways. Wish my buddy kuger was on here,hes the mxt master.Hope this helps a little
April 25, 2012 05:20PM
This is an excerpt from a post by 'Monte" over on ahrps.org. It was in regards to a question I had asked comparing:
Fisher 1270;
Fisher CZ3D;
ML Sov GT;
Tesoro Tejon; and the
Whites MXT Pro.

At the time I was not considering the Tek O8, hadn't really heard about it.
Now however, I've read up quiet a bit on it, O8 seems like a very good machine, especially the opinions expressed on this forum.
Either choice will be used for relic hunting in low to no EMI environments, ghost towns, mine camps, and abandoned lumber camp/mills. There will also be salt-water mud-flat usage, not really the typical sand beach hunting, more around old pilings, areas where sailing ships used to be built etc (low tide hunting)

This is Monte's take on the MXT Pro:
In terms of:
- all metal accept; (With regard to a minimum Disc. setting?)
- response/recovery times; (In the Discriminate mode?)
- iron discrimination (ie. does it let you leave out/keep in the little stuff); (Good target masking w/minimum Disc.?)
- separation; (Using the Disc. mode in trashy sites?)
- ground balance. (In both the Threshold-based All Metal mode and the motion Discriminate mode?)

Whites MXT Pro: (Note, again, that I compare all the following the same for the M6, MXT and MXT Pro.)
- all metal accept: Excellent with a true 'zero' or ED-180 accept Disc. circuitry. This is the only model you listed that can rival the IDX Pro in performance on challenges like my 'Homestead Rock' or using a ±5" Dirt Clod. These models have a high sensitivity boost capability that enhances target response at depth. They just barely nudge my modified IDX Pro to #2, a close #2, in this comparison, with all models using their assigned 6½" concentric coil.

- response/recovery times: Excellent, and I guess about a tie with the IDX Pro.

- iron discrimination (ie. does it let you leave out/keep in the little stuff): Very good response on smaller-size targets! In dense iron trash I might give the 'edge' to the modified IDX Pro simply because it is a little quieter in dense iron trash, but ..... the M6/MXT group have hit well on smaller stuff, and that's viewed as a 'plus' for the them since the MXT was designed to be a multi-purpose detector especially for the gold nugget hunter. In heavy iron, the IDX Pro is my pick, but if it is only a low amount or a very modest scattering of iron, the M6 or MXT definitely gets the job done hitting well on tine targets.

- separation: Excellent. In this comparison I am quite pleased with any of the M6, MXT or Classic models in my hand when working trashier sites. Again, as with the above models, I prefer a smaller-than-stock coil when separation is needed, and I generally have a 6½" diameter concentric coil mounted to handle it.

- ground balance: The automated Ground Balance of these models is close to 'split-second!' It is quite fast, usually achieving a proper functional GB in 1 to 5 quick pumps of the search coil (from about 6" to ½" ), and then the operator can either 'Lock' the GB setting (which is my preference), or leave the toggle in the Auto-Trac® setting. This achieves a proper GB for hunting in the All Metal or Discriminate mode without a loss of big silver coins or small gold targets. It is so good that I make it a very, very close #2 to the modified IDX Pro, but that's only because I prefer manual GB.
UnQuote

Bob
Nova Scotia
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster
April 25, 2012 08:18PM
Nice to read some of Monte's reviews. I lost touch with him since the other forum and the boot problem. After reading many posts and reviews through the years I consider his opinion on a detector to be worth a bunch. He has tried and compared too many to count. I hope he is in good health.
April 25, 2012 10:11PM
Sounds like Monte has a few years detecting under his belt! Thanks Monte!!
April 26, 2012 02:41PM
I believe 47 years in hobby....very thorough and long posts to say the least..I believe some pretty tough mineralization in Oregon so take that in consideration relative his reviews....
April 26, 2012 06:45PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe 47 years in hobby....very thorough and
> long posts to say the least..I believe some pretty
> tough mineralization in Oregon so take that in
> consideration relative his reviews....
Yeah, Monte has a couple of days in the metal detecting hobby!! (grin)-----He fell off a ladder onto cement some time back & had some injuries but is doing better now.----He stopped by my house awhile back and we had a good visit.---I even "let" him set in my stuffed lay back recliner chair to rest his back & legs a bit.-----He's a neat guy, he eats & breathes detecting.-----Never could figure out why he likes concentric coils out here though---DD's are the ONLY way to go. ha ha------------Del
April 26, 2012 08:43PM
I read that Monte's son was getting into detecting and chose the whites M6 over the Omega 8000. I believe Monte likes both the MXT Pro and the Omega 8. So you shouldn't go wrong with either one.
April 27, 2012 11:30AM
I have every intention of meeting this fine gentleman when my wife and I get out there. The RV will be fully utilised once my "retirement" becomes full time. Can't wait! Monte keeps mentioning a book he wants to publish, that is something I trully look forward to. He has been very helpfull to me on his AHRPS website, as well as to countless others through out the web.
I've pretty much decided to go with the O8 3 coil package, and am now just "best deal" shopping, prefer to keep it local if possible.

cheers
HH

Bob
Nova Scotia
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 05:41PM by clamdigger.
April 27, 2012 07:40PM
Hungarian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read that Monte's son was getting into detecting
> and chose the whites M6 over the Omega 8000. I
> believe Monte likes both the MXT Pro and the Omega
> 8. So you shouldn't go wrong with either one.

have heard comments that sweet home's m6 is a "sleeper"
one hell of a coin sniffer!,and generally regarded as white's 'secret weapon" on coins!

(h.h.!)
j.t.