Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

whites m-6 vs omega 8000

Posted by jmaryt 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
whites m-6 vs omega 8000
April 26, 2012 12:59AM
does anyone own both of these detectors?
was curious as to whether one is better than the other for coin hunting?
which one is better in trashy sites while mounting the "small" coil for each one?
looking for the better coin sniffer! any thoughts? comments? thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Re: whites m-6 vs omega 8000
April 28, 2012 05:59PM
I would love to hear opinions on this subject as well; can anyone chime in please? I have the M6 now but feel I may be missing out not having the Omega instead. Thanks!
April 28, 2012 08:16PM
How do you like your M6? Is it good at handling steel bottle caps? I had an Omega for a while and did not care for it as it loved waded up foil and bottle caps as it gave them both high tones. I sold it before the 11'' DD came out so maybe that helped because the depth in my area was also lacking.
April 28, 2012 08:56PM
Ahhh, this question came from hearing about Mony's son going with the M6 over the Omega, didn't it? ;-)

I can't comment on the M6, but can vouch for the Omega being a GREAT coin machine. Perhaps the M6 does better on jewelery though...
Albert
April 28, 2012 10:51PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you like your M6? Is it good at handling
> steel bottle caps? I had an Omega for a while and
> did not care for it as it loved waded up foil and
> bottle caps as it gave them both high tones. I
> sold it before the 11'' DD came out so maybe that
> helped because the depth in my area was also
> lacking.

I don't want the Omega if it's ringing up foil and bottle caps in the coin ranges, ouch. What coil did you have on it? I often read that DD coils love to id some of that trash with the same numbers as coins. My G2 with 11" DD coil did this and it drove me nuts. People were helpful in telling me tricks to try to distinguish them from good targets but I'm sorry, if I have to do a little wiggle and dance on every coin signal to wonder if it's a bottle cap instead, then I need a different machine. Maybe I'm not missing out after all? My M6 properly ID's bottle caps as trash or in the zinc penny range. I also rarely dig the aluminum bottle caps either as those ring up as a low or mid 70 reading and 99% of my copper pennies and dimes ring up as a high 70's. I dug a mid 70 today because I couldn't get it to break up like I normally could and turned out to be a 6" wheat penny so you have to watch out when passing up some of what you might think is an aluminum screw cap. I am running the 950 concentric coil though so that's probably a good reason I am not digging bottle caps. Maybe someone with a DD coil on their machine can chime in about the bottle cap issue? I was really looking at the Omega hoping to see if it had any better performance over my M6. I really like it but wish I could change some things. I wish I had a notch feature on it to pick certain vdi readings in the mid range to knock out. Also, I like to dig nickels as well but the tone for nickels is harder to recognize among the other mid/lower tones. I would honestly rather swap the zinc cent tone for the nickel range tone and then I would be satisfied. Again, a great machine and nothing is ever perfect just the way you like it; I was just curious if the grass was greener in the Omega pasture or not. I don't know what you use now but out of the machines I have owned or tried, the M6 is my favorite so far!
April 29, 2012 12:48AM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> Ahhh, this question came from hearing about Mony's
> son going with the M6 over the Omega, didn't it?
> ;-)

no! my question has nothing to with monty's son owning an m6!
may purchase one or the other,am curious as to what guys think of either,or both of them!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
>
> I can't comment on the M6, but can vouch for the
> Omega being a GREAT coin machine. Perhaps the M6
> does better on jewelery though...
> Albert
April 29, 2012 12:55AM
seanpaul Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How do you like your M6? Is it good at handling
> > steel bottle caps? I had an Omega for a while
> and
> > did not care for it as it loved waded up foil
> and
> > bottle caps as it gave them both high tones. I
> > sold it before the 11'' DD came out so maybe
> that
> > helped because the depth in my area was also
> > lacking.
>
> I don't want the Omega if it's ringing up foil and
> bottle caps in the coin ranges, ouch. What coil
> did you have on it? I often read that DD coils
> love to id some of that trash with the same
> numbers as coins. My G2 with 11" DD coil did this
> and it drove me nuts. People were helpful in
> telling me tricks to try to distinguish them from
> good targets but I'm sorry, if I have to do a
> little wiggle and dance on every coin signal to
> wonder if it's a bottle cap instead, then I need a
> different machine. Maybe I'm not missing out after
> all? My M6 properly ID's bottle caps as trash or
> in the zinc penny range. I also rarely dig the
> aluminum bottle caps either as those ring up as a
> low or mid 70 reading and 99% of my copper pennies
> and dimes ring up as a high 70's. I dug a mid 70
> today because I couldn't get it to break up like I
> normally could and turned out to be a 6" wheat
> penny so you have to watch out when passing up
> some of what you might think is an aluminum screw
> cap. I am running the 950 concentric coil though
> so that's probably a good reason I am not digging
> bottle caps. Maybe someone with a DD coil on their
> machine can chime in about the bottle cap issue? I
> was really looking at the Omega hoping to see if
> it had any better performance over my M6. I really
> like it but wish I could change some things. I
> wish I had a notch feature on it to pick certain
> vdi readings in the mid range to knock out. Also,
> I like to dig nickels as well but the tone for
> nickels is harder to recognize among the other
> mid/lower tones. I would honestly rather swap the
> zinc cent tone for the nickel range tone and then
> I would be satisfied. Again, a great machine and
> nothing is ever perfect just the way you like it;
> I was just curious if the grass was greener in the
> Omega pasture or not. I don't know what you use
> now but out of the machines I have owned or tried,
> the M6 is my favorite so far!

yes! this information is correct in relation to "steel" bottle caps 'hitting" in the zinc coin range,
and "screw" caps ringing up in the low 70's this is "dead nuts" accurate,and has been ever since
whitey developed v.d.i circuits back in the late 70's early 80's i can attest to this as i owned a preponderance
of whites detectors back then,and experienced this myself. generally the screw cap would hit in the low 70's as he stated,but also one had to be careful,
because sometimes it was kinda "close" th cap "might hit in the middle 70's and ya really got the urge to dig it.just about all copper pennies,clad dimes,and of course
silver dimes WILL hit consistently around 77,or 78 on every whites detector i ever owned! 6000d series #2 6000 d series #3 ,and the venerable "crackerjack"
coin whore,the 6000 pro-xl

(h.h.!)
j.t.
April 29, 2012 06:58PM
I had the stock 10'' coil that came with the machine. It kind of ticked me off when the offered the 11'' DD coil free with the machine as a summer special when it came out. I thought it was not fare for us guys who just bought the machine a month earlier had to pay full price. That was one more reason I sold it. I currently use an E-Trac and a Tom tuned CZ-3D. Both are good at handling steel bottle caps. The E-trac will even ignore them and find coins in the same hole with them! It's hands down the best trash machine I have ever owned with the 8'' sunray coil. I find alot of silver in trash with that set-up.
April 29, 2012 09:05PM
SeanPaul. Does the Omega have a proclivity for certain types of aluminum..yes!! However, it is rather easy (for me) to discern aluminum. A high conductor target on the Omega will give a rock solid VDI (about a 0-2 ID number variance when swept) Aluminum, that reads as a high conductor on the other hand will give about a 3-5-7 ID variance. Also, the audio hit on the 'falsing' aluminum just doesn't have that solid audio hit like a real high conductor. Are there exceptions to this....of course. But I have about a 90% success rate of knowing its aluminum/non-high conductor. There is an advantage though to this 'proclivity' to aluminum slaw. The Omega has better 'see-through' capabilities than the White's machines do. I know this from hands on experience. It did take me awhile to figure out the aluminum 'trick' though.
I beg to differ on the White's accuracy being far superior. I have the White's Silver Eagle, which is a Spectrum XLT, minus the advanced programming. I have been fooled by bottlecaps and aluminum with the Eagle. And yes, the older White's do have excellent disc abilities.
White's units will chatter/'break up' with BC's. The Omega is different. It will have wide variances with the target ID numbers/flash a 99 ID for BC's/iron and the audio isn't that solid 'thump'. Just different methods is all. Simply sweep the Omega concentric coil off-center of the target and if its a BC, the numbers will start jumping/99 ID. You were using the concentric with the Omega. I don't get fooled with BC's on the Omega concentric. It's actually very easy to disc them. On difficult BC's it takes just as much time to verify on the White's Silver Eagle as the Omega.
The DD coils will behave the same on a White's as it does on the Omega in regards to BC's as its due to the design characteristics of DD coils and not a failing of the either detector's design.
April 30, 2012 02:43AM
I've owned both, and found that while the Omega goes deeper, the Whites is more reliable. My Omega broke twice in 6 months, and not from misuse. It just doesn't have the solid feel of the M6, which I loved, and I never had much peace of mind of mind when swinging the 8000.
April 30, 2012 05:53AM
yes i agree! whitey makes a 'tough" detector that lasts!
cheap plastics do nothing for me,however,if the performance
is there,then one must keep an open mind.

(h.h.!)
j.t.