Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ANY TIPS ON HOW TO CLEAN THE FINDS?

Posted by MEXICO 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ANY TIPS ON HOW TO CLEAN THE FINDS?
May 09, 2012 07:21AM
I Have seen many pictures of the metal detecting finds like gold coins, silver coins , nickels, quarters, jewlery.

but how do you clean them up?

water, soap.? whats youre tecnique.....???? thanks..
Re: ANY TIPS ON HOW TO CLEAN THE FINDS?
May 09, 2012 02:15PM
Soak in Hydrogen Peroxided. I like sitting a cap with a coin in it on the pilot of my cook stove. Sometimes I set it on the counter overnight. The peroxide bubbles and you can see the dirt coming off. Then clean with soap and water. Repeat if you need to. On coins I like to put a little oil (coconut or olive oil) on coins and after a few minutes I wipe it off. This method does not do any damage to coins.

Rick N. MI
May 09, 2012 02:30PM
100% pure acetone NOT nail polish removal. and dab the coin or let it air dry. wiping the coin scratches it more then it was already from being in the ground. i would only worry about it if you plan on selling or keeping old coins. new coins that arnt worth more then face value i wouldnt worry about scratching as much but thats just me
May 09, 2012 03:01PM
ultrasonic bath or electrolysis or even bleach depends on the metal
May 09, 2012 03:03PM
do not clean old coins or finds in general other than rinsing with water. as far as i know a peroxide bath will also work and not damage the item. you do not want to scratch the coin at all and you may not even see the scratches without a magnifier, poor cleaning will take away 50% or more of the items value.
iron taken from saltwater should go directly into freshwater, as soon as it makes contact with the air it will start to decay. i have an item in my toilet bowl tank now that will soak in there for at least 8 weeks and every time the toilet is flushed the freshwater gets renewed. the idea is to remove all the salt from the item.

finds that have a little dirt on them are actually much more valuble to collectors than cleaned items. there are links to cleaning and preservation just do some research.
chuck.
May 09, 2012 07:52PM
Im with Digger.... electrolisis for all most anything but coins. Then a coarse wag with a little baking soda. Silver and gold clean up easily with electrolisis. Depending on the coins if they arent worth much but face value get a tumbler.

Dew
May 09, 2012 08:58PM
thank you for all youre opinions and help. i am glad this forum page have a lot of users that have expirience and knoledge. smiling smiley