Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GPS and Metal Detecting

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GPS and Metal Detecting
May 09, 2012 09:59PM
I think many see the GPS function on the new Minelab CTX3030 as a bell and whittle and not of much value. At first my initial impression was a. If yawn. Now after thinking a out it a while I think it may be way more valuable then anyone is giving it credit for. I know a lot about GPS I work for a precision ag company that gold GPS guidance systems to Farmera. I assume that minelab is taking the same approach used by precision AG in that the primary function of this technology is to tell you where you have and have not been. Now when this was fixated introduced to AG farmers said I do not need GPS to tell me where I have been and where I have not been I already know that. Well once the started using these systemas with relative mapping the soon realized the did not know where they had been and not been as well as the thought. Well I am sure the same is true for us detector people as well. I do see an advantage to know if I had coverd an area completely or not. If you do not swing your coil over it you will never know what's there no matter what detector you use.

I am hoping the allow to to set your swath width. - AG term for how wide of area are you covering. Not everyone swings the same some make shorter sweeps others wider be able to adjust that would be great.

Time will tell. It I am betting GPS will become the norm on most newer high end detectors introduced in the future
Re: GPS and Metal Detecting
May 10, 2012 02:10AM
I am hoping the allow to to set your "swath width"

Maybe I am wrong...but I don't think civilian GPS has that degree of accuracy.
May 10, 2012 02:33AM
Yes you are kind of right the best civilian GPS can do is about three feet but that is absolute accuracy - lat and long accuracy. Realitive day to day is can be as good as a foot or less - going back to the same point with in 24 hours. Same day same hour it can be as accurate as inches wich is what you need to measure how well you are covering an area. Come back the next day your starting point could be a foot off. Come back a month later three feet off. But in real world that is good enough.

Bryanna

TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am hoping the allow to to set your "swath
> width"
>
> Maybe I am wrong...but I don't think civilian GPS
> has that degree of accuracy.
May 10, 2012 03:53AM
At first I thought it was something I would never use, and then I went beach hunting the other day. With Tom's voice ringing in my ears to find out were the trough of high density items was and hunt that trough.
So you can record your find using H,M , L for low medium high and then look at you screen. So it might have an application.
Can't wait to see the new beast.

Cheers
May 10, 2012 11:30AM
On the ocean beaches...................... density stratification troughs are 'mobile'......... and 'shift' after each tide....................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, up to......and including; disappear.
May 10, 2012 01:22PM
We use GPS all the time. It is required to mark any bags with archeological finds with the correct coordinate.

I have two garmins for this purpose, a main Orgon 550 and a backup E-trex

I think Garmin use GPS engines from u-blox and the 550 has 2 meter accuracy.

What engine will be used in this CTX ?

If it can duplicate garmin accuracy it will surely be a tool that many many detector users will not only love but need.
May 11, 2012 03:22AM
From CTX3030.com

It uses a u-blox NEO 6 wich will give the best accuracy.

[ctx3030.com]

[www.u-blox.com]