Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tell me more about the different tone settings on the T2.

Posted by jbow 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tell me more about the different tone settings on the T2.
August 23, 2007 01:48AM
I have used one for over a year and thought that the only difference in the settings was the number of tones. I realize there is a difference to 3b and DP. I am confused as to why one tone is better that 2+ for relic hunting in iron. You said to use one tone and set the disc at 21. I understand that will disc out a bit of the iron nut I don't understand why that is better then using 2+ and setting the disc on 10 and hearing everything.

Does the detector have different properties in one tone and four tone than it does in 2+, I mean other than the obvious different number of tones.

I do not need a scientific "why" answer just an answer about differences in different settings other than number of tones.

Thanks,

Julien
Re: Tell me more about the different tone settings on the T2.
August 23, 2007 04:12PM
Yes, the T-2 forces the "USER" to operate differently when monotone is selected. Here's one (of thousands) of examples;

I had pounded a good-target producing site until no more non-ferrous targets could be found. This was with T-2 Factory preset Disc of '10' and 2-tone with a high level of Sens.
Later, I decided to delve into the next level of unmasking. It took nearly a year to find the T-2's pinnacle iron Disc setting of '21' that would provide the most unmasking capabilities in the largest volumes of huntable areas.

Soooo...... Setting the Disc on '21' and monotone,,,,, I bagan to find more non-ferrous targets in this nail infested iron pit.

One of the more memorable lessons/experiences. I hit a target that was bouncing between VDI '34-38' on the T-2. I switched over from monotone into the 2-tone option. Because the target was lower then a '40' on the VDI (this is the iron set-point on the T-2).... it reported as a iron tone (the lowest tone). I also knew that most nails would have registered at '20' or lower...... so there was some masking concern. Recovering the target(s)..... it turned out to be a rusted iron chunk of slag, one 3" rusty nail..... AND a .54 Cal musket ball from the Seminole-Indian war of 1834-1837.
Moral of the story = When 2-tone mode is invoked, the detector needs the target(s) to register (ID) ABOVE '40' on the VDI for the detector to report the upper/higher tone. Most folks will NOT dig targets that read/register as low-tone iron with ANY machine. (There are a few relic hunters that dig EVERY nail and piece of rust). Sooooo....... Selecting/Invoking the 2-tone mode on T-2 (or F-75) will cause many colocated (ferrous with non-ferrous) targets that are ABOVE the Discrimination of a single nail.... but are below the threshold of where the detector reports as 'iron'.... will become 'missed' targets. No matter what your Disc level setting below '40' you have selected....... if you select a tone option OTHER then monotone... the detector will then cause ANY target below '40' to ID as "iron".

Tom
August 23, 2007 08:26PM
Yes, the T-2 forces the "USER" to operate differently when monotone is selected. Here's one (of thousands) of examples;

I had pounded a good-target producing site until no more non-ferrous targets could be found. This was with T-2 Factory preset Disc of '10' and 2-tone with a high level of Sens.
Later, I decided to delve into the next level of unmasking. It took nearly a year to find the T-2's pinnacle iron Disc setting of '21' that would provide the most unmasking capabilities in the largest volumes of huntable areas.

Soooo...... Setting the Disc on '21' and monotone,,,,, I bagan to find more non-ferrous targets in this nail infested iron pit.

One of the more memorable lessons/experiences. I hit a target that was bouncing between VDI '34-38' on the T-2. I switched over from monotone into the 2-tone option. Because the target was lower then a '40' on the VDI (this is the iron set-point on the T-2).... it reported as a iron tone (the lowest tone). I also knew that most nails would have registered at '20' or lower...... so there was some masking concern. Recovering the target(s)..... it turned out to be a rusted iron chunk of slag, one 3" rusty nail..... AND a .54 Cal musket ball from the Seminole-Indian war of 1834-1837.
Moral of the story = When 2-tone mode is invoked, the detector needs the target(s) to register (ID) ABOVE '40' on the VDI for the detector to report the upper/higher tone. Most folks will NOT dig targets that read/register as low-tone iron with ANY machine. (There are a few relic hunters that dig EVERY nail and piece of rust). Sooooo....... Selecting/Invoking the 2-tone mode on T-2 (or F-75) will cause many colocated (ferrous with non-ferrous) targets that are ABOVE the Discrimination of a single nail.... but are below the threshold of where the detector reports as 'iron'.... will become 'missed' targets. No matter what your Disc level setting below '40' you have selected....... if you select a tone option OTHER then monotone... the detector will then cause ANY target below '40' to ID as "iron".

Tom
August 24, 2007 12:55PM
Thanks Tom, you are SO helpful. I posted a link to this over on Findmall.

If you ever get up to Cartersville/Kennesaw/Marietta... please let me know in advance and i'll take you to a couple of places if you have time. I just got my T2 back from BH for service and they really overhauled it, relaced re-soldered, replaced the grip and the coil, calibrated it. It may as well be a new machine.
I am so happy with it that I am going to order an F-75 too. I have decided that it, the 75, will be the best machine for me since it will do everything that the CZ3d will do and more, at least for the places where I mostly hunt.

Thanks again!

Julien