Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rutus Jupiter - Some preliminary tests and words

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rutus Jupiter - Some preliminary tests and words
May 20, 2012 12:00AM
I got my Rutus Jupiter a couple of days ago. (They actually call it an Optima in Germany.) I ran a variety of tests today, to try to give us both an idea of what it might be capable of, as it is known as a very very fast machine here in Europe (Deus light).
The Jupiter runs at 16kHz and has a CLEAR liking for low conductors, which you will notice in SOME of the tests. I got mine (luckily) with the DD coil - they also make a concentric.

The masking setting I talk about is quite interesting. At first it sort of seems a bit like a recovery setting but it is just a series of 6 filters numbered from 0-5. The lower range allows clipped or shorter signals to come through, which can be handy if you are after smaller targets, especially those in iron. The upper range would be more useful on coin hunting (I use 4), in mineralized ground to quieten things, etc. I think bottle caps produce a shorter signal and it might be helpful there, as well as with hot rocks - if I understand the instructions correctly - need to test.

I recommend you watch these in order, a bit more info on the machine early on in the videos. (Around 3 minutes each). The tests are going in the standardized direction but not thre yet. I would say it did quite well in the tests (I'm really unfamiliar with these sorts of tests - first I've done).

Test 1 - Monty's Nail board test

[www.youtube.com]

Test 2 - Recovery speed test on 5 coins and then with nails in between.

[www.youtube.com]

Test 3 - 2" square nail at 1" above coin (nickel and dime tried).

[www.youtube.com]

Test 4 - 2" square nail next to coin

[www.youtube.com]

I hunted with the Jupiter for 3 hours today and pulled 6 or so coins. It was very sensitive on the small stuff but I wasn't fooled that much once Iearned the sounds some. I think running the filter higher up helped me to avoid some of a smaller tricky signals. I did get fooled on some very large deeper iron, but that gets most of the machines I've had.

The pinpoint (via trigger) works quite well at sizing objects and it's very easy to use. I say that as I've had some machines where the pinpoint didn't work so great. It has an E-Trac reminiscent quality to the sound - I think you can hear what I mean. Thus far, I wouldn't say it's a deep detector, but I'll have to see how deep it will go. I dug no coins deeper than 4" or so and know there are some deeper ones at the spot I hunted. I lowered the iron tone from what you see in the videos aboved and coins stood out quite a bit better (the lower tone sounded softer).

The detector seems VERY FAST but also quite manageble. Again, that filter setting is nice. I remember I had forgotten it was on 0 (from the testing) and things were noisy but then I remembered and after upping it from 0 to 4, things really quieted down. I ran the disc at 20 but probably could have dropped it a bit from there and still had a quiter hunt. I was able to run the machine at 42 (of 45 sensitivity) with no problems and it was VERY stable. I say that because some of the early machines had problems (circuit board too close to the screen caused falsing above 5!). My unit has not such problems. You can still send them in for a free upgrade though and that include the coil being re-attached to the control box (and not the back of the screen.)

The maching is around 600 Euro or Dollars. I bought it in used but like new condition for 300 on ebay. It is fairly programmable. You can adjust all of the following: ground balance - default or manual - gives ground voltage (40-200mV) and Phase, discrimination up to 50 (of 80 or so VID range, iron is up to 37 - wide range), notch, frequency adjust, backlight, volume, hot rock reject, threshold (level, tone), Tones - 1 or 3 or 2 programs (fully adjustable to 20 tones each), audio gain (for weak signals), masking filters, non motion mode - with audio threshold and tone and SAT, AND a mixed mode! Cool. (No, I'm not connected at all to Rutus in any way or to any distributors, dealers, etc.) It is a pretty fun machine, very simple but flexible.

I really got the machine to be a backup machine and also a site specific machine (heavier iron). The one thing I sort of dislike is the rod, you can't shorten it enough to be just in front of your feet. I do that to keep weight off my back. But the machine only weighs around 3 pounds with good balance so there were no problems at all today.

Hit me with questions and I can scan and upload the 19 page instruction book as a PDF if anyone likes.

Hope that was helpful,
Albert
Re: Rutus Jupiter - Some preliminary tests and words
May 20, 2012 12:24AM
Thatt is some good test videos.
Have you downloaded the CTX manual yet?
May 20, 2012 02:14AM
I wonder when American companys will take notice,and produce a machine like the Euros are doing. Fisher seems to be closest,to pushing the envelope.While Garrett,whites and Tesero are making nice detectors,they dont seem to be willing to go to the nextevel,allowing us to adjust the filters etc,to meet conditions.
May 20, 2012 02:24AM
My 11 year old DFX allowed me to change filters the V3 let's yo change filters so this is really nothing new. But both the DFX and V3 have what seems like a 100 other options to change or mess up. I think the Europeans seem to be going to the basics more the anything. Good crisp audio, clean and clear discrimination, fast and faster response, simple easy to adjust controls.

Bryanna

deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder when American companys will take
> notice,and produce a machine like the Euros are
> doing. Fisher seems to be closest,to pushing the
> envelope.While Garrett,whites and Tesero are
> making nice detectors,they dont seem to be willing
> to go to the nextevel,allowing us to adjust the
> filters etc,to meet conditions.
May 20, 2012 03:04AM
Stunning. European style.......... once again.

Good test set-up.
May 20, 2012 04:46AM
Great tests you are keeping busy being able to test these machines..did you keep the Deus?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 20, 2012 05:35AM
Great effort Albert ,just what I wanted to see , in the UK the Jupiter is regarded as a top machine in iron but not very deep ,fantastic on small finds.

If you get a chance can you try out combined mode

James
May 20, 2012 08:58AM
Mark - I have the CTX manual but haven't started reading it yet. My plan (Lawrenzo) since I'm really a coin hunter was instead of having the Deus and E-Trac, I would have the CTX and a cheaper site machine (Jupiter - Deus lite ;-) ).

Bryanna - I think the big difference here with the two machines you mentioned is cost. The DFX and V3i are top end machines but the Jupiter is a mid class model, I guess along with the Omega and such, cost wise. I'd like to see other machines in it's price range with a trigger, adjustable tones, some filters, mixed mode, etc. I have to play with those filters and see if they affect depth. Gary mentioned them in his review a bit. I'm trying to think if any other detectors use "Masking Filters"??? They are not ground filters per say. And it is not recovery, but can give a little bit of that illusion.

James - Yeah, I don't think it is deep. Gary mentioned the same and said targets in the 8 - 10 inch range but I would be pleasently shocked if that is true. From air tests, which I haven't written down or done yet but will, it doesn't seem deep.
And yes, I really look forward to the mixed mode, at least in cleaner ground.

I will probably hold onto the machine as a site specific machine. On coins I'd rather have the Omega but this machine is for backup and I have to get that through my head, it's a complimentary machine ;-)

Thanks for the comments - look forward to your suggestions,
Albert

ps - I did all of these tests before and didn't check the video. In the sun with a white backround (on the board) you only saw 3 coins but 5 were there. So, I did them all again. eheheh
May 20, 2012 10:31AM
The ML Sovereign has what ML calls " Iron Mask " .....It can be turned on or off ......Similar filter effect , but I think it may have more to do with openning and closing up the VDI range more than anything .....Tuning Iron Mask " OFF " quieted down things down conciderably .....Later on ML went to a wider VDI range and a matrix in the Explorer range , and now has the largest, more finute matrix in the E Trac and the CTX .....I think this matrix is the best of all worlds as you can pinpoint a target might have a conductive number the same as other targets , but most all have different Ferrous numbers which allows for pinpoint discrimination, and also pinpoint identification ....or you can run the screen wide open to accept EVERYTHING ......There are also features on the ETrac whereby ML mentions the " See thru " feature which allows for control of masking .....There were very evident masking issues with the Sovereign , that were NOT encountered with the E Trac .... Once instance was a matter of reading a Barber dime , or NOT reading a barber dime due to masking issues ......That was all I had to see when I retired my Soveriegn and ran with the ETrac on land .....The beach is another story .......JIm
May 20, 2012 05:21PM
Hey Albert nice videos and nice info...

Looks alot like a enhanced whites XLT in the way it adjust....But on a BETTER freq for unmasking.

I was interested in the Rutus also when I first heard of them but then the GMP got my attention just for unmasking ...I think the Rutus you have there ought to make a good everyday machine once tweaked for you...

I like a mixed mode for certain applications and it will allow you a bit more depth in open areas by utilizing the hotter wide scan all metal mode with increased depth over disc...

I always prefered the nautilus Mixed mode to any other manufacturer...didnt care much for the XLT DFX or even V3i mixed mode it was functional but not a Nautilus ...The MXT was the best offering for Mixed mode from Whites in my opinion...Seemed similar to the Nautilus setup...

How do you see the Rutus Mixed Mode....Like Nautilus or White's...

Did you get rid of your DEUS?

Keith
May 20, 2012 06:04PM
Keith,

It is a really well built machine, I have to say. I can see how it would be a really fun unit in iron and for low conductors. Just air testing it at home I was amazed at how much it DIDN'T like silver! It hit Nickels much harder than silver quarters. eheheh That was followed by a moment of silence and a little sadness from me . eeehehhheheh

I very very much like the sounds, they do have a little E-Trac to them, but cleaner, not as much warble at all, just barely actually. It likes round things, like the Deus does, it really breaks up well, obviously so, on non round objects (except those extremely small and larger iron).

I haven't even tried the Mix mode for the reason you hinted at - there just aren't any clean areas to do so, yet. I will try it though, just to try it. You also can adjust the masking filters in mixed mode, which is very nice.

Oh, I'd probably go with the GMP if money wasn't the issue, but for 300 bucks to have a machine as fast and well built (with transferable warranty) such as the Jupiter, it was a no brainer for me. You mention the freq of the Jupiter is better than the XLT for unmasking - I do wonder, like with the GMP II, at 4kHz - I get the feeling it unmasks quite well. They found ways around the frequency. You know, like how the AT Pro is hot on silver but not a low freq. The Jupiter isn't like that, it is what we have come to expect, as I mentioned above with my simple air test.

I don't like the S-Rod but the machine is balance well enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I might have to cut off some of the shaft and drills some new holes though as it just doesn't get short enough. That coil is like 2ft in front of my feet, almost.

I returned the Deus in 10 days as we have a 2 week return policy in Germany on items bought on the internet (I saw the CTX was released. Wouldn't have otherwise). I really did like it but since I'm a coin hunter I thought it more efficient and logical to get a CTX and Jupiter instead of having two really nice machines in an E-Trac and Deus (which to me is more site specific and I don't hunt those sites very often.) Roughly the same money, IF I don't include those extra coils for the CTX- OUCH!

Thanks for the comments,
Albert
there's a guy selling one on this site
May 21, 2012 01:32AM
May 23, 2012 05:09PM
Well, I got out for 4 hours today and ended up at a 500 year old castle site. I pulled a coin from 1800 at around 3" but didn't get it on video, but the pic is at the bottom. (1800 ½ Kreuzer-Franc II D.G.R.I.S.A GE.HV.BO.REX.A.A. - Franz II ruled from 1792 to Napolean's 1806 dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire.)

This is a VERY NICE machine for the money and I am amazed at the speed. With the masking filters up higher (4 or 5) it really quiets things down. The sounds really grow on you. I dug a few targets (non keepers) at 7" or so, so the depth isn't terrible, but not E-Trac like. Iron gives a breaking tone on the falses usually. I dug a few to be sure, or rather was fooled, then dug a few more to be sure. I dug a target next to a quite large piece of iron and got it on video. Good sound and VID. [www.youtube.com]

I did some air tests and what was very interesting is that there is NO DIFFERENCE with zero disc and 50 disc (max value) when it comes to depth. Without breaking the coins down (penny, nickel, dime, quarter, silver quarter) and their air test depths, this is basically what it amounted to with the sensitivities: Sensitivity on 25 of 45 = 7" - 8", Sensitivity on 45 = 8" - 10" (Nickel).

August 09, 2012 01:12PM
Earthmansurfer, how do you feel about your Rutus now? I need an unmasking detector and consider the Jupiter as well. The pity is, that there are no larger coils available AFAIK...
August 09, 2012 04:20PM
Hi pelanj - I actually sold the Jupiter but not due to any performance issue. I really liked the detector. I think it is great for unamasking. I mean it costs at least half as much as the Deus and is just behind it in unmasking, further behind it in depth. I don't think you would want a larger coil as it's game isn't depth, it's unmasking. I just sold mine cause I'm more a one detector guy and I thought if I was to have a backup/loan detector it should be more of a coin machine and less sensitive. I had actually stopped using it as I got the CTX and had been hunting with it. Again, no problems with the machine, high marks across the board.

Albert
August 10, 2012 07:12AM
Thanks!
August 10, 2012 10:11AM
I have one more question - have you tried the "mixed" mode? Does it work on the same principle as on Whites Eagle / XLT?
August 10, 2012 05:23PM
I can't help you there, never used the mixed mode.

Let us know how the machine works out for you and how it compares to other machines you've had. It is really good at unmasking and super fast. Love the sounds and programability.

Albert
August 10, 2012 06:12PM
It seems to me we are all getting smarter and demanding more. And I think it is cool to have a few machines that work in the same area but in a different way at unmasking.
It seems to me the Deus made the largerst splash so far. And that seems a little strange a few years ago a new detector hit the market and almost eveyone wanted to buy it.

I have not been hunting for close to a year and have no desire to buy a new detector. When I get better I still am not interested in what is on the market. I may be doing more park hunting and school hunting when I get better so I have an interest in a machine that will help with the trash we run into all day. Gold rings or pull tabs. Lets get some help are reading these trash targets and I think there may be a lot of units sold. But all the info is out there what we all want and are waiting for. The last player is to see what Fisher/Tek can do to take advantage of the market in the next few months to a year.

I think we are all not willing to by the next new machine unless it can really blows our socks off and if you want to sell a lot of units that is what has to happen and it has to work.
So I read this forum and one other and you can poll what is happening. Maybe it is that a lot of people don't have the same amount of money to burn on a new machine? It will be a lot of fun to see what is next and if it can win us over....There are a lot of really good machines out there and I would really like to own maybe two if I could by two.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!