Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Found a Nickel - Yea-ha!

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Found a Nickel - Yea-ha!
May 21, 2012 08:26PM
Ok me, my Safari, and my 800FBS Coil -(first use by the way) went hunting in a local park this morning. I just got the smaller coil because so far I have not found a park in Omaha that is not loaded to the Gills with trash and iron so if I am not nulling I am squeaking on something other then a good target. So I was very hopeful the smaller coil would help me sift through the iron and trash a little better. Well right off I could tell I was getting more separateion and found it easier to explore a potential targets properties in hopes of a good one. Like always, when swinging I never look at the screen but just listen for good tone to explore. Once I find a possible target I investigate by hovering and moving around and into and away from the target. I never use the pinpoint function because I have found I can ID the location just as good by hovering and pulling back till the good tone drops. Once I think I have found something of possible worth I do look at the screen. The parks are invested with screw caps and they almost always give an ID of 33-35 and mostly 35. Pull tabs seem to be in the 18 to 20 range. So when in that range I tend to keep walking.

So now to my nickel. I was swinging and got a nice Medium tone. I stopped to investigate further. I could tell there was both iron and some other trash in the area since with very little change of position of my coil I would either null or pick up some other squeaks that did not sound like treasure. But among those not so good sounds I kept getting a nice medium tone and an occasional high tone. The high tone I wrote off as iron since I have found it can squeak a high tone now and then, but the numbers or the tone are not repeatable. So I started turning and hovering till I started to get a repeatable medium tone. The target ID read 14 with a sometimes 13. I had read that nickels pretty much always come in at 14 on the Safari. Since the tone and ID where so consistent I said to myself - I think I have a nickel. Well the depth meter showed something like 6 inches ( I had forgot that the depth readings on this smaller coil were maybe double of my stock coil). I started to dig a 3 inch plug to start. I poped the plug open stuck my Propointer in the hole and to my surprise no - nothing from the pointer. So I checked the plug an right there on the bottom was this very soiled round thing. After further investigation my suspicions were confirmed. I had a nickel. What really made this exciting is I knew with some certainty that what I was going to recover was a nickel. Now like any good detecting girl I rechecked my hole and low and behold that high tone I had heard before came back, but this time it was a little crisper and cleaner. So out comes the plug again an right there in the same hole was a copper penny. The nickel must of been masking the penny a little. One more swing for good times sake, and this time nothing but iron and Trash sounds.

Sorry for the long write up but it was my first nickel with my Safari and my maiden voyage with my FBS800 coil.

Aloha

Bryanna
Re: Found a Nickel - Yea-ha!
May 21, 2012 09:06PM
Congrats on the first nickel. I find on my Safari I get most nickels at 13 with it going to 14 or even 15 depending on soil. The VID is always solid unless being masked but can still get a steady number. It doesnt bounce from the 13 except of coarse for the masking item. I always dig one to see where a nickel comes in at with every new site. If it moves from 13, 14 it is 99% of time a pull tab. I finds these pest anywhere from 12 up tp 27 depending on size, if it has a tail or if its bent. Most time tabs will bounce but sometimes it gives a steady ID. I have a FBS800 and used it one time. I thought of it as heavy and liked the 8x6 SEF seperation and depth better. I may have to try it again. Ive had my Safari for a year this month and it has been the best silver machine Ive used. Ive have been focusing on finding gold with it in areas that I dig all signals. Ive have found a gold 14k belly button ring shaped like Harley emblem in volleyball court and a 10K girls signet ring in the grass at park.
May 21, 2012 11:39PM
That nickel may one day be gold jewelrysmiling smiley
May 22, 2012 01:27AM
Do you live in Omaha, Nebraska? I live in close by Valley but I was in a 'special park' in Omaha today detecting. I got 3 silver dimes and a handfull of wheat cents (plus the usual clad) today there.
Not much non ferrous junk in this one. The iron does not fool the CZ-3D too often here. Biggest challange is the good coins are deep... 6" plus.
May 22, 2012 02:28AM
Yes, live in downtown area. I was detecting Elmwood which is a cross from memorial. Popular and very very trashy. I have not tried the SEF but I am sure it is a great Coil. I am coming from stock coil so can say I think the FBS800 is heavy but have not tried long hours of swinging. I get my detecting in an hour or two at a time. Would like to try more some time though.

Aloha

Bryanna
May 22, 2012 02:52AM
Hi, Congratulations on your nickel find....They seem to be harder to find than hen's teeth....LoL....I see silver & gold in your future....HIH....JJ
May 22, 2012 07:19AM
Bryannagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, live in downtown area. I was detecting
> Elmwood which is a cross from memorial. Popular
> and very very trashy. I have not tried the SEF
> but I am sure it is a great Coil. I am coming
> from stock coil so can say I think the FBS800 is
> heavy but have not tried long hours of swinging. I
> get my detecting in an hour or two at a time.
> Would like to try more some time though.
>
> Aloha
>
> Bryanna

Elmwood used to be a great old park... along with Hanscom/Miller/Fontenelle/Bemis but they have been hammered for 40 years winking smiley
May 22, 2012 07:21AM
One year where I use to live I found $2,100.00 in clad...The parks were loaded with money.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 22, 2012 05:02PM
Wow that is a lot of Clad. I wonder how much will be left to find in the future. We do not use cash and change as much as we used to. Debit cards have replaced cash for many of us. I can not remember the last time I had change from anything. Soon you will not even need your credit card your smart phone will do that as well.

On the positive side I remember reading once that every yard in the US has an average of $3 in coins. Older house will have some of that coin in silver and the older the house the more likely it is to have lost jewelry both gold and silver. If you just look at the face value of the coins and times that by the number of yards then wow there is still a lot of buried coin out there.

Next I seem to remember Tom saying there is a lot of treasure we left in those parks but it is either to deep or is masked so the only way to find it is by luck.
Kind of like peeling an onion. The first detectors peeled of the first three or four inches, the next gen detectors got us down to 6 inches. Now we have detectors that can go 8 to 10. But then we still have the masking. If the New CTX can start to unmask those previously masked targets then the parks may again begin to provide a bounty of coins.

Wishful thinking I know but it never hurts to have a little hope.