Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This is what keeps me going... a guy finds a 1870 CC half dollar worth thousands

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This is what keeps me going... a guy finds a 1870 CC half dollar worth thousands
June 01, 2012 02:25PM
[www.treasurenet.com]

The find of a lifetime... with an Ace 250! Could be worth tens of thousands of dollars!
Re: This is what keeps me going... a guy finds a 1870 CC half dollar worth thousands
June 01, 2012 02:51PM
Man,that is awesome! And in great shape. Luckily he didnt do something stupid like shine it up with baking soda. I cringe everytime I read advice on the forums about cleaning coins.
Re: This is what keeps me going... a guy finds a 1870 CC half dollar worth thousands
June 01, 2012 04:10PM
Honestly I know a lot of Ace 250's were sold but for the bucks it really found some nice coins and exceptionally valuable gold rings...Just goes to show you don't have to have a extremely expensive unit to find the goodies...bet this one makes Garretts newsletter......
Just saw this one on Ebay in about the same condition... $37,500!
[www.ebay.com]

Just an unreal find.
Wow, congrats to that guy. What a great story and check out what he did, he ordered a AT Pro! Classic, nicely done going from a ACE 250 to an AT Pro.
That coins value starts at 10k and goes up from there.

If I found a coin worth that much, no way could I justify keeping it. I have a few coins worth 100 Euro or so and they are special. But I would sell that coin quick and do something nice with the money for my daughter or the like (once I got a new machine ;-)
Put that puppy in a museum and I'll visit it on my Bday.

Great story, thanks for sharing it,
Albert

ps - I'm saying it now, I know I'm gonna find something gold ;-)
June 02, 2012 01:38AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly I know a lot of Ace 250's were sold but
> for the bucks it really found some nice coins and
> exceptionally valuable gold rings...Just goes to
> show you don't have to have a extremely expensive
> unit to find the goodies...bet this one makes
> Garretts newsletter......

right dan! knowing your detector,WHATEVER BRAND it is,AND
getting yourself "on the proper site",along with "catchin' a break",
AND getting lucky can get it done!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Wagon loads of gold and silver coins and relics have been found in England with ACE250's. Don't discount it cause it's cheap.

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"
You know a lot of people laugh at the Ace 250 but I can testify it loves silver and I have found my best silver find with one a 1903s barber Dime.
I wonder where he found it...Hunted out site or a private place? Going to have to read that link to see if he updated that info. Best coin I've found was a 1858 (or 1855...forget) seated quarter. According to the book's grading guide it was about a $1400 coin, except it had two small nicks on it's edge. These nicks weren't shiney so I don't think I did it when digging. Anyway, money was short so I shopped it around to a few coin dealers who offered me $20 for it. I wasn't going to take that, so I put it on Craigslist and got $40 for it. Also sold a silver 3 cent piece for $40 that the book said was worth about $200, as it also was in really good condition. Hate selling my coins but when you need the money the way I look at it a picture is just as good to me, so as long as I have that I'm happy.

Oddly enough, many of the barber and merc dimes I've found in the woods have two nickes at the edge on both sides of the coin. I think they were often used as a screwdriver to adjust the sites on a gun, and thus the nicks at the edge.

EDIT: I see he found it in the woods on private property at about 4".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 04:08PM by critterhunter.
June 07, 2012 01:00PM
Man Critter,no offense,but sounds like you let that quarter go cheap. The only coin I sold,was a1891double eagle. Got $900. When gold was around $800 an oz. Been lucky living in Ca, to find several s mint barbers and seateds in the $500 range.
Yea, I probably did...But you can complain about the latest coin I just found too because I probably deserve it. 1921 Standing Liberty Quarter in F-12 condition (the third grade up). I just sold it for $150 to a local dealer. I said the book says that coins is well over $400 retail but he said he can get it for just over $200 from his supplier in that condition, and started to turn the computer screen my way to show me so I said no need. $150 for found money is good enough for me, so I sold it to him. He's been pretty fair to me in the past on some other stuff (for a local walk in shop he's higher on gold and silver than any of the others I've been to), so I went ahead and sold it to him. Then I cruised Ebay and saw that coin and that grade from people asking around $500 or more, but there were no bids on about two pages of that coin in that grade for those prices they were asking, so I'm guessing somewhere south of $500 in maybe the $300 to $400 range is where that coin could go for retail. Somebody told me to check the "sold" function on Ebay which I didn't know they had to see what that coin/grade has been selling for. I'm going to do that right now. Hope my eyes don't fall out of my head. :')

Now, I know it's against the ethics of many hunters to ever sell a coin, but I've got good reason to need the money badly at this moment in time. I can always stick a picture of it in my collection. :')