Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This is not my posting. Another user of 3030

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This is not my posting. Another user of 3030
June 09, 2012 10:21AM
I like I can hunt and not feel tired from swinging.
I like that I don't dig much trash. (humm let me rethink about that one)
I don't like the headphone (Koss)
I don't like the PP buttons location.
I don't like I can't use any other headphones( I think this may just be my machine) I have tried many and none work! But I have seen that others can use other brands????
I don't like the machine turns off any time it wants (three times) while detecting???
I don't like it froze and I had to take the battery out to reboot (once)
I don't like I had to print my own manual after paying so much money for it!
One last thing I am in my 39th year metal detecting so I am not a newbie, I can have an opinion at this point.
Re: This is not my posting. Another user of 3030
June 09, 2012 12:19PM
Sonny, you could have just added this to the last thread, but I'll give you a comment since you asked me.

It is sort of ironic that Minelab includes Crappy headphones with their flagship detector.

I haven't heard of many people at all mention the pinpoing button. More compliments by far than negatives, but I have to try it out. I don't have large hands, so we'll see how it feels for me.

Minelab is working on a fix for the shutdowns. Might be GPS related, not sure.

I've commented on most things before and don't want to go through the process again. NOT A BIG DEAL FOR THE MOST PART.

I am very unhappy about the headphone problem. I just posted this on Finds, in your thread actually:

Start Quote
coilswinger - As far as I have heard all headphones will work on the WM10. It uses a spring/metal arm activated mechanism to signal to the machine to turn the speaker off.
The problem is in the actual detector's headphone module. It is listening for a certain wiring configuration, electronically I mean. My Gray Ghosts won't work as won't a few other brands.

Minelab released a pdf, after the problem was found, that showed how a few brands that were not working were using alternative wiring. Fair enough. But after having looked at the pin connector on the WM10 it appears that a software fix could be written to allow for more possibilities. I'd like an engineer from Minelab to comment on this.

I am requesting a software fix, if possible of course, because it is a lot less work, more efficient and makes more common sense to write a piece of code than the following possibilities/dangers:

1 - Stereo to Mono adapter - easy fix but it sticks out the back end. Just a matter of time before you come down on it and break the headphone module, or at least loosen it up.
2 - Rewire headphones - If I knew how I would and this is what I would prefer to do, as #1 is a danger imo. I looked at my Gray Ghosts and I'd have to pull all the glue of the headphone pad and I still don't know how to get inside, nor have a wiring diagram to go by.
3 - Headphone companies can start wiring theirs to specs, good solution for new buyers but I just bought a new pair of Gray Ghosts as I just love the sounds...

So basically, regardless of whose fault this is, it seems a software "patch" is the easiest and safest solution, if possible. - End Quote

Albert
June 09, 2012 01:33PM
First run isnt ever easy..... people always challenge them to be as good as the last machine. If there are ANY glitches.... you hear about them. Albert ..... there was a post on that PP issue with several mentioning it. I bought one of the FIRST Explorer SE's.... there are people who still dont think they are as good as the Exp II. I got lucky and got one with the slim line coil..... which they soon replaced. Soooo out of my pocket i had to get another coil. Dont you wish they would work this out better in the field tests. There is NO machine going to hit the market with a high price tag that isnt going to catch flack. People still complain about the ET price. Every thing goes up with popularity..... and our hobby is growing more than many of us would like. Thats the bad part.... good part we are getting new bells and whisles. They will change the Tech hopefully soon. Anyone remember how computers started out.....?

Dew
June 09, 2012 01:37PM
I usually just lurk here and dont comment much but I often wonder if some folks here are pushing some agenda...

I would like a Ctx 3030.
i can afford a 3030 (wife and I both have decent jobs and no kids)
New products almost always have some bugs that need to be worked out
I can wait for the bugs to be worked out-- My etrac and Omega 8000 havent stopped detecting silver dimes since the 3030 was introduced.

Realize that being the "first on the block with a new toy" usually comes with some wrinkles that need be ironed out.
June 09, 2012 02:16PM
If you charge 2400.00 for a metal detector then you are saying to the world that it is worth it. Here we have a metal detector so special and unique that we are going to charge top dollar for it. The expectations are that it will work as advertised. That 2400.00 price tag swings both ways. Especially in today's economy. Yes there are usually issues. But that doesn't mean we make excuses for the company. And it certainly doesn't mean that we have to like it. Now it is time for Minelab to offer something to make things right. Extend the Warranty? A free gift to current owners? I feel that headphone adapter should be mailed to every owner. I learned with the AT Pro. A detector that cost way less. Let the other guys deal with sending them back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 02:18PM by goodmore.
sonny - here is take on it
June 09, 2012 04:56PM
I like I can hunt and not feel tired from swinging. - I AGREE 100%
I like that I don't dig much trash. (humm let me rethink about that one) - I RE-THOUGHT IT - DIGS TONS OF COPPER, BRASS AND ALUM. PIECES SO FAR
I don't like the headphone (Koss) - PURE CRAP
I don't like the PP buttons location. - I SELDON USE IT IN THE WATER
I don't like I can't use any other hea - dphones( I think this may just be my machine) I have tried many and none work! But I have seen that others can use other brands???? - ALL THREE SETS OF DETECTOR PRO PHONES WORKED FOR ME....ORIGINALS, JOLLY ROGERS AND BLACK WIDOWS - TODAY I EVEN USED SOME SONY EARBUDS AND THEY WORKED GOOD - EXCEPT MY EARS GOT SUNBURN
I don't like the machine turns off any time it wants (three times) while detecting??? - 2 + 4+5 HRS - NO SHUT DOWN FOR ME
I don't like it froze and I had to take the battery out to reboot (once) - NOT FOR ME
I don't like I had to print my own manual after paying so much money for it! - I DID SO I WOULD HAVE ONE A WEEK EARLY, BUT MINE CAME WITH A CD AND MANUAL INSIDE OF BOX - BUT MANUAL IN BOX IS WEAK.
Re: sonny - here is take on it
June 09, 2012 05:36PM
gravediggermax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like I can hunt and not feel tired from
> swinging. - I AGREE 100%
> I like that I don't dig much trash. (humm let me
> rethink about that one) - I RE-THOUGHT IT - DIGS
> TONS OF COPPER, BRASS AND ALUM. PIECES SO FAR
> I don't like the headphone (Koss) - PURE CRAP
> I don't like the PP buttons location. - I SELDON
> USE IT IN THE WATER
> I don't like I can't use any other hea - dphones(
> I think this may just be my machine) I have tried
> many and none work! But I have seen that others
> can use other brands???? - ALL THREE SETS OF
> DETECTOR PRO PHONES WORKED FOR ME....ORIGINALS,
> JOLLY ROGERS AND BLACK WIDOWS - TODAY I EVEN USED
> SOME SONY EARBUDS AND THEY WORKED GOOD - EXCEPT MY
> EARS GOT SUNBURN
> I don't like the machine turns off any time it
> wants (three times) while detecting??? - 2 + 4+5
> HRS - NO SHUT DOWN FOR ME
> I don't like it froze and I had to take the
> battery out to reboot (once) - NOT FOR ME
> I don't like I had to print my own manual after
> paying so much money for it! - I DID SO I WOULD
> HAVE ONE A WEEK EARLY, BUT MINE CAME WITH A CD AND
> MANUAL INSIDE OF BOX - BUT MANUAL IN BOX IS WEAK.

if it's seein' aluminum,and lots of it,then nothin' special about that!
(hot damn) they all see aluminum,and ya don't need to pay $2,500.00
either! ehe! he! he!

(h.h!)
j.t.