Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer 2 with 6" coil compared to other detectors

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer 2 with 6" coil compared to other detectors
June 20, 2012 11:38PM
I've have an Explorer 2 with the 10" coil and was thinking about getting a 6" coil. I've used it for about a month and have found a couple silver dimes at about 10" along with some Indian heads and wheats. My ground is mild. Most areas I hunt are for old coins and relics and are litter with iron. Was wondering how the Explorer with a 6" coil compares to fast detectors like the T2/F75 with 6" coil.

Thanks,
Rick
Re: Explorer 2 with 6" coil compared to other detectors
June 21, 2012 12:57AM
I love my Explorer but nothing compares to the F75 with that 6" football coil.
June 21, 2012 01:18AM
As long as mineralization is not severe........... the F75 SE in boost process...... with the 5" DD coil will have substantially greater depth/sensitivity.
June 21, 2012 02:41AM
tom!
in your experience,,will the f-75 (standard) set in (je) process
mounting the 5" dd coil, be "close" to the "performance" (depth)
of a f-75 running in (bp) process,also mounting the 5" dd coil,
working the "same" ground?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 02:45AM by jmaryt.
I have a 6" excel. on the way
June 21, 2012 02:48AM
I'm keeping the Explorer 2 for awhile and will add another detector later.

Thanks,
Rick N. MI
June 21, 2012 09:22AM
You have a slow detector for hunting in iron. The 6" coil would really help. If you plan on adding another detector down the road I would get a faster recovery machine. The Omega, T2, F75 would be a nice compliment to your explorer. Just like E tracs now if Fisher releases a new unit the F75's will fill the classifieds.
June 21, 2012 11:56AM
j.t. ...... No. There is a substantial gain in performance (in reference to the 5" DD coil on a F75)........... when you compare the 'je' mode to the 'bp' (or 'cl') mode. A tremendous usable (non-linear) gain is achieved on the LTD/SE models when you employ the boost process mode with the 5" DD coil. And with the LTD/SE models........... there is no longer a need for the 'je' mode.
June 21, 2012 01:08PM
Basically used a lot of units over the years and sort of a stock coil kind of guy...From my limited experience the small coils I used were more efficient on other units compared to the usage of a small coil on the explorer series.
Small coils sure have their place in experienced hands especially in junky areas where stock coil fail...but do expect you coverage to suffer greatly but many do well with them...
June 21, 2012 02:51PM
Oh I agree Dan. A small coil is hard to use. I saw one post where he was using an Explorer w/ a 6" coil and said it should take 30 min to cover a 10'x10' area. Wow that is slow going. I like the standard coils too. I haven't used a small coil yet. I find the sensitivity is critical with the Explorer as you monitor how much nulling you get. I do like how deep it detects. I've found a 1920 merc and a 1937 silver Egyptian dime at 10" with the 10" coil. The Egyptian coin had been gone over several times with an Advantage, garrett 1250, 1236x2 and G2. When I got the Explorer I went over there and there was a hole dug right next to the Egyptian coin that was missed my them all. I got a signal as clear as could be and used part of his hole to dig it.

I do agree I need a fast response/recovery detector too.

Thanks,
Rick N. MI
June 21, 2012 04:00PM
Look into the 8x6 SEF coil for your Explorer. Many guys love that thing and I've read 10" on a silver dime at least. However, when I want to hunt super trashy areas with a small coil, I want the smallest round coil possible for max separation. That means an S-5 5.5" coil, and it is still getting probably at least 9" on a dime from my experience with targets (haven't dug a dime that deep but did one at about 7" that hit very hard, so I think it could be 9" easily and I'd still get it). The X-5 (FBS version) I've read gets very deep too. I'd look into that.
June 21, 2012 04:04PM
FWIW -- I air-tested a silver dime to 9.5" with the X-5 coil on my Explorer yesterday, running either 30 sensitivity...

Steve