Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New machines

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New machines
June 25, 2012 01:47PM
Yeah this is an old subject but it seems like the new detectors that have hit the market have made their splash and are being used but not a lot of users are still really crazy about them...I am not saying that they are in the closet collecting dust....But It feels to me that we really still have not seen the next new best machine yet? For me I think when I and if I can detect again would like to see a machine that really goes beyond what we have now..It seems that when you play with dirt the detectors can only do so much and they have come a long way with unmasking in iron...They are getting better in steps. I would love to see a Turf...park...school detector that really gives me an edge in trash..not just speed and unmasking but a better way to get rid of some of the trash and let me still hunt for the bling...But I have said this many times before and I see it may be up to Fisher/Tek to blow our socks off and I think they are in a perfect postion to do that by wating and letting the dust settle to they bring out their line...

I would also like to see Nasa Tom come out with a video that would touch on some of his wisdom on how he hunt in iron..I read one post where Tom was called and for a fee he gave him info that would change the way he hunted...We don't want a fancy production maybe a youtube that the link is locked and you have to pay to see it..or a disk that is a home spun video..not that hard to make copies these days and mail them as they are requested. I am sure some of us would pay fifty bucks for new info that only Tom knows...but again I have way to much time on my hands so I seem to come to this forum and stir the pot a little each month...Hope to post next year with a few finds..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: New machines
June 25, 2012 02:26PM
Lowboy, I am with you regarding these new detectors. But the more I look, the more I see that the technology hasn't changed much. Our biggest advances have been making the machines lighter and with more effective TID screens. Most of what I have seen over the last few years has been a variation of those themes.

The biggest recent advance I can think of has been the BBS/FBS technology from Minelab.

I'd like to know what others think.

And speaking of Dankowski, now that he has done an inland hunting DVD, I wonder if her intends to do a coastal DVD sometime in the future since he lives on the coast....ahem.
June 25, 2012 02:26PM
Good to hear from you Lawrenzo! I to hope and pray you will be at it again one day in the not too distant future. I miss your videos, too. Any chance you could put one together without having to be on the field? Anyway, I agree with your thoughts on First Texas position to score big with a killer jump in software and/or hardware. I hope they don't wait too long and get buried in a 'mine' shaft or garroted by the competition (so to speak).
God bless and may the ultimate MD be released at the oerfect time for you and us all!
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
June 25, 2012 04:25PM
Tom...5 pinpointers ?????

Will the Gorgi dig targets....

Getting back to new improved units research-retooling etc. cost bucks and has to be pushed onto the consumer to make profits with the price of some of the new units one wonders will the average guy or gal be able to afford and will it be cost efficient to produce them...
I understand the military can find gold pockets from an airplane but the costs is staggering...build one and they will come works in the movies but in real life ?????
PS: besides if it gets too easy areas will be cleaned and if new areas found the thrill of the hunt will be gone and so will the hobby...

Think about it if a golfer made a hole in one every second hole or a bowler threw one 300 game out of a series of 3 games imagine the sports would be long gone.
June 25, 2012 06:04PM
One request nearing fruition.
June 25, 2012 06:42PM
Love it when Tom responds with just a few words but they are loaded with meaning..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 25, 2012 06:55PM
I would like to see a Dankowski Podcast. Even if it was just monthly. He could take clips from some of his talks with people or just do it for the purpose of the podcast. Sounds like fun, doesn't it Tom? ")
He could have Keith as the first guest ;-)

And yes to Tom's short answers. I am not complaining but am just waiting for the day when he starts answering in riddles! eheheh

I'm having fun with the CTX but clearly it isn't something to break down the walls of detecting technology. It is really fast for an FBS machine and it does get things all of my other machines missed. They really got it to be sensitive to small targets.
The ferrous coin setting seems to be up averaging iron signals (but not blindly, there is a formula behind it) but it causes lots of falsing, but not as many if I run disc. Yeah, it's perfectly balanced (really) but would have loved it to be 3 pounds and not 5. I think Minelab missed the boat on what people were looking for by making it so expensive and waterproof (water resistant to clean and from rain would have been enough). Anyway, Lot's of playing to do with the machine. Still looking forward to that lite Fisher CZ.

It may be a while before we get something truly revolutionary and if the economy continues like it is going, few of us will be able to afford it.

Albert
June 25, 2012 07:01PM
Tom D really has me wondering whats coming to fruition!
June 26, 2012 02:49AM
Fbs/bbs is not new. I think some of threes Euro detectors have their users excited. Now if the American company's will focus more on performance,and less on gimmicks and trying to make every detector a general purpose.
June 26, 2012 11:31AM
"Tom D really has me wondering whats coming to fruition!"

................he could tell you ........but then he'd have to kill you !!...........smiling smiley

Lawrenso,
Have you tried running an ETrac in a trashy park with a 5" coil ? ..........It's a GREAT tool for trashy parks .....and your ears will not be bleeding when you leave the park .....It's as they say " a walk in the park " .....Jim
jrk
June 26, 2012 01:07PM
After several years with the ET, I'm damn wowed by this Deus. And the wowing has had nothing to do with the ergonomics.

Randy
June 26, 2012 01:26PM
Agree.
June 28, 2012 02:11AM
jrk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After several years with the ET, I'm damn wowed by
> this Deus. And the wowing has had nothing to do
> with the ergonomics.
>
> Randy

IMHO the deus has been the most revolutionary hobby detector released since Fourier domain or bbs... It ain't just the ergonomics, but it's certainly a bonus.
June 28, 2012 04:12AM
Just wish the Deus was American...oh well
June 28, 2012 05:25PM
Hey albert, you said:

And yes to Tom's short answers. I am not complaining but am just waiting for the day when he starts answering in riddles! eheheh

You are WAITING for the day he starts answering in "riddles?" I think he already DOES, doesn't he?! He's like Gandalf the Grey! smiling smiley

Steve
June 28, 2012 05:56PM
Great Steve, no you are answering in Riddles (as I don't know Gandalf the Grey!)

I meant something more like this fictitious exchange:

Albert - Tom, Could you tell me why some detectorists like visual displays and others really rely on sound primarily?
Tom - Albert, excellent question, but riddle me this, the light of the fire not only creates light, but it creates warmth as well. To some the light is sought, to others the warmth, and yet to others both. There in lies your answer grasshopper...

Albert
June 28, 2012 07:08PM
Sorry, Albert! Gandalf the Grey is an extremely wise, well-respected wizard in the "Lord of the Rings" books by J.R.R. Tolkien. He often speaks in short, complex, deep sentences; at one point, one of the characters (Aragorn) accuses him of "speaking in riddles," and that's what NASA-Tom reminds me of, hence the reference! smiling smiley

And, your fictitious conversation (hilarious, by the way) between you and NASA-Tom? Sounds like something Gandalf may have said, in answer to your question!

Steve
June 28, 2012 10:09PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> I would like to see a Dankowski Podcast. Even if
> it was just monthly. He could take clips from some
> of his talks with people or just do it for the
> purpose of the podcast. Sounds like fun, doesn't
> it Tom? ")
> He could have Keith as the first guest ;-)
>

> Albert

a Dankowski Podcast would be awesome
June 28, 2012 11:46PM

a Dankowski Podcast would be awesome

What he said....

Steve
June 29, 2012 01:06PM
In addendum whoever said the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys really hit home with new toys and prices.

If it makes anyone feel better bought a loaded Chevy Impala in 64 for just under $3,000...anyone priced new Chevies lately.....

In reality check prices of top of the line detectors of years gone by and fast forward to today and you will find with todays bucks may have been more expensive way back when.
June 29, 2012 02:21PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> In addendum whoever said the difference between
> men and boys is the price of their toys really hit
> home with new toys and prices.
>
> If it makes anyone feel better bought a loaded
> Chevy Impala in 64 for just under $3,000...anyone
> priced new Chevies lately.....
>
> In reality check prices of top of the line
> detectors of years gone by and fast forward to
> today and you will find with todays bucks may have
> been more expensive way back when.

Detectors are either less expensive now or I have more money. Thirty years ago I had to save up to get a new detector.
June 29, 2012 07:34PM
I look at machines a little different. When you take two fast cars, for example, once they reach a certain point in power and handling it's not so much about the machine anymore but the ability of the driver. I feel the same way about detectors. Certain machines out there have so much ability in depth and separation (in particular with the right coil on them like the 12x10 to "peak" those two aspects of ability), that it's more about the machine and not so much about the detector. There's a certain "higher" ability in a machine that can only be brought up by skill and experience and knowledge of how that machine acts. Key to that are things like how a coin can act when badly masked, or how a deep coin can sound at the fringes. That's the last say 10 to 20% of the performance factor, when you've got those two things nailed down on a machine, and it can easily pass any built in better ability another machine *might* have, if the guy using that other machine isn't as skilled with it. Also what comes into play is of course how well you've tweaked the sensitivity and such for the given area. That alone can make one machine take the lead over another.

But, in the end, I still say that any two top performing machines of different model or make, with two users who are equally matched in skill and experience, is when it's going to be VERY hard to see any clear advantage of one over the other in terms of depth or unmasking ability. Kind'a like two guys squirel hunting with one using a shot gun and the other a 22. The shotgun might have more ability to blast and not miss, but the guy with the 22 can shoot at much further distances, as well as just hit part of the squirel hiding behind a tree and still have a better chance to kill it. Same deal with detectors. You've got to learn the pros and cons of your machine, and then change your hunting tactics to take advantage of them. Is the machine slow? Then slow down and that will address the recovery speed issue, and can further be improved with a better or smaller coil to "see" between targets better. If the machine fast? Then make sure you still aren't sweeping too fast for it even, as everything has it's limits, and make sure the coil actually has a sharp field or all the speed in the world won't do you a dime's worth of good.

Bottom line is learn your machine and learn it well. If you've got a good machine it'll probably be a wash when you and brand X flagship other model compare deep or badly masked undug targets. That slight difference is up to the user and not the machine to close the gap on.
June 30, 2012 11:13AM
Correct. Increasing skill-set with any detector will give the illusion that the detector is getting deeper with age.
July 07, 2012 11:47AM
NASA-Tom
One request nearing fruition.

How's the timeline look Tom? I hope you're testing that heavy waterproof unit with the color screen.
July 07, 2012 12:07PM
Two delays (one-week each) thus far.
July 07, 2012 05:11PM
deathray Wrote:
> Just wish the Deus was American...oh well

shame but they seem to work on the theory 'if it aint broke dont fix it'

the euro makers are forging ahead with radical designs
July 07, 2012 05:25PM
The europeans have different minset in theyre design's..

They want to dig foil signal's in iron the American manufacturer's for years wanted to ignore foil signal's and iron....Thats antiquated thinking for virgin type sites from the 1970's...

the Majority of the finds are in Habitation area's...i.e. iron congested area's...

The American market is starting to SEE THE LIGHT and are AIMING for the productive area's (Iron infested sites)

Theres more in the ground in quality and quantity than has ever been found total.

Keith
July 07, 2012 07:12PM
Totally agree with ya Keith.