Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom's DVD

Posted by Shenandoah Digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom's DVD
April 05, 2009 03:36PM
As my previous post states, I traded for a CZ-3D and along with it came your DVD. I believe I know quite a bit about metal detecting, but learned a lot from it. It's obvious you have a real passion for the hobby, as evidenced by your excitement in finding the barber quarter. After I watch it a few times, I'll pass it along to friends, as I believe no matter how good someone is with a detector, there is always more to learn. I'm a relic hunter, but learned a lot in regard to coin hunting that I can apply to to relic hunting. Good job.
Very good
April 05, 2009 07:42PM
I also learn something from the video each time I watch it.
Re: Tom's DVD
April 06, 2009 02:28AM
I only have 2+ years detecting and that started in the water great DVD
I gave it to detecting bud with 15+ years under his belt
and he enjoyed it also
April 06, 2009 12:12PM
Thanks for the inspirational input. Even if...... say...... you learned only one helpful tip.
April 06, 2009 09:43PM
Well I learned a lot more than one helpful tip. But one would have been enough.
April 08, 2009 01:49PM
Just watched the video for the 2nd time last night. My takes:

Pros:

- Tom is one of the most enthusiastic TECHNICAL detectorists out there. Kudos for him taking the time to tape the 11+ hours of detecting and putting it together into a cohesive 90 minute package.

- Like Tom, I detect nearly 100% by audio alone using my F75, and his obvious success only reinforces the method. I don't remember him ever looking at the meter and commenting on the display.

- More than once Tom discussed cleaning out the trash to find the good lone target. I wonder how many times I gave up on a marginal signal after pulling out a nail and moving on? Shame on me.

- Tom's emergency kit was so much more comprehensive compared to anything else I saw. I 'usually' carry an extra set of batteries, but what am I to do if anything else goes wrong far from home? Priceless

- There are obviously detectors on the market today that better handle iron (fewer high tone falsings) compared to the CZ (CZ-3d?) Tom was using. But look at the finds he was pulling out with that unit! Just goes to show that among the top tier units, anyone with an understanding of their machine can uncover good finds.

- I usually detect with 6-10 Disc and 4-tone on my F75. I need to try 0 Disc with 4-tone and listen to the iron rather than hide it. Iron = people = potential finds! That's the #1 tip I found on the DVD.

- Tom obviously did his homework finding an old site to work. To many of us complain about not finding old coins when we dig in a park that was built in the past thirty years!

Cons:

- I wish that Tom would have tried to copy the audio the detector made on false iron a little better than what was presented on the DVD. Tom did as good a job as could be expected describing the audio in 'words', but too often he appeared to be passing over good targets that he quickly dismissed as iron falsing. It would have been tough, and he would have needed to use an audio manipulation program, but it would have been nice to hear an amplified, and maybe time delayed (made slower) audio response from both a good target and iron falsing. Still, every different detector, a different coil, and a significantly different disc/sens setting on the same detector would present a different audio signal.

- I thought Tom was way-off dating the age of the 'VG' quarter he found. I remember searching bag upon bag of pennies from the bank in the late 1960's and coins dated in the 1920's could regularly be found in VG condition. Some well worn teen pennies in AG-Good could be found as well as 1930's dated pennies in Fine/VF condition. So I suspect that the VG Barber quarter he found was probably lost in the 1930's-1950's during the same period he estimated his other non-coin finds. But this opinion does not take away anything from his (more valuable) detector comments!

Want List:

- Make another DVD using the F75 in varous modes: Disc = 6 and monotome or Disc = 0 and 4 tone for example. Hunt the same site again.

- Make another DVD using the Minelab Explorer on the beach.

- Make another DVD using the F75 while relic hunting at a civil war site.

- Make another DVD showing the response of his F75 in his test bed while running in various modes.

I'd certainly buy another DVD from Tom should he go through the effort to put another together.

In summary: job well done!
April 09, 2009 12:18AM
Thank you for all of your input. This is exactly the type of data I look for..... so as to 'improve' upon the next endeavour. Yes, I kept all of the audio & video in-the-raw...... and not 'enhanced' or 'modified'. To "manipulate" the audio for better/enhanced learning presentation has several unwanted side-effects. One of them would be; folks would wonder what ELSE was 'enhanced' or exaggerated..... possibly 'invalidating' the rest of the presented datum..... Even when explained.

You are correct/exacting in your analogy about the 'wear properties' of copper coins. Yes, a copper penny may take 25 years for it to become a F-12 (fine) or VG-8 (very good) condition. However; silver is dramatically differing in wear characteristics vs. copper coins. Silver is a very soft metal. One of my best..... and most honored & respected sources.... is a Q. David Bowers book titled "United States Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars". On page 43.... Q. David Bowers states: "the word L I B E R T Y, the sharpness of which is the key to whether a coin is Fine, Very Fine, or Extremely Fine, was LOST after a given piece spent just a few years in circulation". This statement.......... worded differently..... (with more certainty/affirmation)...... is stated in many other areas throughout the book. -----There are other sources (((books))) that (independently) confirm this statement. This holds true with other silver coins.... as the density of the metal (and wear properties) remains the same.

The site where the DVD was filmed was quite 'exceptional'..... as the targets (coins included) were quite shallow; a rarity for Florida. Over the years, I have managed to 'capture' the data/conditions of this 'type' of soil.... so as to find other locations with the same (or better) soil conditions. Otherwise, I'll be digging Zinc pennies to depths of 8" & 9"..... as a norm.

Tom
April 09, 2009 01:01AM
That's on my wish list too. Mostly, more information for my F75. Would really like to see the F75 performance at the same location of the old house and the test garden.

go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just watched the video for the 2nd time last
> night. My takes:
>
> Pros:
>
> - Tom is one of the most enthusiastic TECHNICAL
> detectorists out there. Kudos for him taking the
> time to tape the 11+ hours of detecting and
> putting it together into a cohesive 90 minute
> package.
>
> - Like Tom, I detect nearly 100% by audio alone
> using my F75, and his obvious success only
> reinforces the method. I don't remember him ever
> looking at the meter and commenting on the
> display.
>
> - More than once Tom discussed cleaning out the
> trash to find the good lone target. I wonder how
> many times I gave up on a marginal signal after
> pulling out a nail and moving on? Shame on me.
>
> - Tom's emergency kit was so much more
> comprehensive compared to anything else I saw. I
> 'usually' carry an extra set of batteries, but
> what am I to do if anything else goes wrong far
> from home? Priceless
>
> - There are obviously detectors on the market
> today that better handle iron (fewer high tone
> falsings) compared to the CZ (CZ-3d?) Tom was
> using. But look at the finds he was pulling out
> with that unit! Just goes to show that among the
> top tier units, anyone with an understanding of
> their machine can uncover good finds.
>
> - I usually detect with 6-10 Disc and 4-tone on
> my F75. I need to try 0 Disc with 4-tone and
> listen to the iron rather than hide it. Iron =
> people = potential finds! That's the #1 tip I
> found on the DVD.
>
> - Tom obviously did his homework finding an old
> site to work. To many of us complain about not
> finding old coins when we dig in a park that was
> built in the past thirty years!
>
> Cons:
>
> - I wish that Tom would have tried to copy the
> audio the detector made on false iron a little
> better than what was presented on the DVD. Tom
> did as good a job as could be expected describing
> the audio in 'words', but too often he appeared to
> be passing over good targets that he quickly
> dismissed as iron falsing. It would have been
> tough, and he would have needed to use an audio
> manipulation program, but it would have been nice
> to hear an amplified, and maybe time delayed (made
> slower) audio response from both a good target and
> iron falsing. Still, every different detector, a
> different coil, and a significantly different
> disc/sens setting on the same detector would
> present a different audio signal.
>
> - I thought Tom was way-off dating the age of the
> 'VG' quarter he found. I remember searching bag
> upon bag of pennies from the bank in the late
> 1960's and coins dated in the 1920's could
> regularly be found in VG condition. Some well
> worn teen pennies in AG-Good could be found as
> well as 1930's dated pennies in Fine/VF condition.
> So I suspect that the VG Barber quarter he found
> was probably lost in the 1930's-1950's during the
> same period he estimated his other non-coin finds.
> But this opinion does not take away anything from
> his (more valuable) detector comments!
>
> Want List:
>
> - Make another DVD using the F75 in varous modes:
> Disc = 6 and monotome or Disc = 0 and 4 tone for
> example. Hunt the same site again.
>
> - Make another DVD using the Minelab Explorer on
> the beach.
>
> - Make another DVD using the F75 while relic
> hunting at a civil war site.
>
> - Make another DVD showing the response of his
> F75 in his test bed while running in various
> modes.
>
> *****
>
>
> I'd certainly buy another DVD from Tom should he
> go through the effort to put another together.
>
> In summary: job well done!
April 09, 2009 02:10AM
hi tom!
i agree!..gladly pay a premium for a f-75 d.v.d!..if possible to put one together
much to learn..in my opinion,an informative,educational video on the f-75,would trump anything first texas could offer!..just my opinion!

(h.h!)
j
April 10, 2009 12:04PM
Even though the F75 is a K.I.S.S. operating detector........ I've always felt that it requires professional training. I couldn't begin to tell you how many F75's I have seen go up on e-bay...... due to user/operator not understanding (ESPECIALLY) this unit..... (subsequently; bad-mouthing would ensue). Lately, I have been performing dual-headphone training (two headphones connected to one F75) for a lot of folks. This has always mitigated months of feutal attempts by a F75 newbe; subsequently resulting in high-respect for the F75 & capabilities....... and opening doors/opportunities that, otherwise, would have NEVER (previously)been capable of opening up.

As far as producing a professional F75 training video...... it's not on my plate. Right now, I am nearing completion of other ventures.
April 11, 2009 02:03PM
Well after about 30 hours on the CZ3D I don't look on that high tone as "high tone falsing". I look on it as "positive iron ID". I was hunting an old house site the other day, so old that you would have never known that anyone had ever walked over the property if you didn't have a metal detector to verify it. Literally thousands of square nails. I never dug one without knowing it was a nail. And when I got the crisp high tone that I was looking for, it was always a good target. Every time. Large cents and 2 V nickels. The F75 T2 may have a faster recovery, but I much prefer the CZ. My only complaint is that the batteries were not placed under the arm cuff like the 1266 for better balance. But I'll either live with it or convert it. Best trash machine I've ever used.
April 13, 2009 03:10PM
Understand!
Is there another video on the way Tom?
May 26, 2009 11:27AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
" I am
> nearing completion of other ventures."

-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though the F75 is a K.I.S.S. operating
> detector........ I've always felt that it requires
> professional training. I couldn't begin to tell
> you how many F75's I have seen go up on
> e-bay...... due to user/operator not understanding
> (ESPECIALLY) this unit..... (subsequently;
> bad-mouthing would ensue). Lately, I have been
> performing dual-headphone training (two headphones
> connected to one F75) for a lot of folks. This
> has always mitigated months of feutal attempts by
> a F75 newbe; subsequently resulting in
> high-respect for the F75 & capabilities....... and
> opening doors/opportunities that, otherwise, would
> have NEVER (previously)been capable of opening
> up.
>
> As far as producing a professional F75 training
> video...... it's not on my plate. Right now, I am
> nearing completion of other ventures.
May 31, 2009 07:37AM
Tom you don't have to have a big production you can just make videos like I do and edit them. We don't care so much about the production but we care about the info you have to teach and show us.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 31, 2009 09:53AM
It's possible.......... but I still prefer a full & comprehensive package.
June 01, 2009 01:12AM
If I lived up there I would do it for free.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!