Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1inch coil in iron pit

Posted by Indiana Heath 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1inch coil in iron pit
September 19, 2007 03:17AM
I am still recovering the buckles and buttons. The last 2 weeks I have not used the 75 since it is thinning out on targets. I have been using my sov gt with a sunray probe attached directly to the control box that is in a hip mount bag. I have devised a pvc wand that screws onto the probe so I can stand up and swing the probe for micro detecting. I have recovered over 150 more in an area that was worked out with the 75. I first used this setup last year to get into tight spaces and had excellent results. Around pay phone booths with dirt next to them were good test sights. The coins popped out quickly with the pinpont accuracy of using a probe as the detector. I got 19 coins in 15 minutes that were along the edge of a basketball court where the asphalt met the grass. This area has been heavily detected, but a regular coil could not go right along the edge like this did. Since all of the relics I have been hunting in the iron pit are 3inches or less in depth the sunray probe has sufficient depth to find them. Used this around a tree stump where I couldn't get 75 into and started finding so many that I just excavated all dirt around roots and started picking them out by hand. That one stump area yeilded over 100 buttons and buckles...5 were civil war eagle buttons.

Any detector that can be hip mounted that has a sunray probe can be turned into a microdetector. You will need an extension cord sunray makes so you will have enough length to run up inside the pvc pipe. The pvc and fittings can be had for less than $3.00. I can email a picture of how I make the wand if anyone is interested. The probe wire is inside the pipe so it is very good to use in wooded areas and even goes through tall weeds good. Target recovery is fast since you already have the target pipointed. I have been using in all metal and clearing all targets, so I will go back over the area with 75 to find deeper targets that now may be unmasked.
Re: 1inch coil in iron pit
September 19, 2007 09:47PM
Brad,

FINALLY....... a man after my own heart! This level of psychosis is untreatable. My wife has been trying (for a long time) to correct my monomaniac/psychotic level of metal detecting --burning passion sickness...... that is at the same level as yours. Your persistence, attention-to-detail, "refuse to quit" attitude and overall piqued interest is profound! I'm in the exact same boat.... and usually do not like to admit it. To go metal detecting with a pin-point probe says a lot!!! BUT.... when priceless targets continue to be found/recovered, this justifies & quantifies (my wife would profusely deny) your actions. A 'passion' is one thing........ but a "burning passion" is a COMPLETELY different set of parameters. And it is this burning passion that will keep you healthy (endorphin trigger) and can even cure some existing health problems.

"Beneath The Mask" (March, 2000)

Sincerely,

Tom
September 20, 2007 02:44AM
Heath,

Can you post pictures? I would like to see how you have the S-1 rigged up. I have a Gt and an S-1 and i'd like to try that.

I'd also like to know more about the site you are talking about. I read about it in your other post but would love to see some pictures of it, it sound's very cool.

Thanks!

Julien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2007 02:48AM by jbow.
September 21, 2007 02:16AM
Julien

I would be glad to post pictures of wand or email them to you. My email is blh@carlnet.org You will have to order an extension for the S1 if you do not have one. The pvc and 2 fittings are at most hardware stores. The probe can be easily unscrewed from the wand and taken apart from extension to be used as normal...the best of both worlds.

Tom

Don't tell your wife that I am now expanding out a little from where heavy concetration of targets was with the 75. There are still good items there. Will mark the sweet spot with flags....maybe 10 at a time then switch to the S1 wand and dig a 1foot square and using all metal setting, clear all targets in that area, then go to the next flag. This should greatly speed up target recovery!!!! You are right....this is untreatable!

Brad