Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP Goldmaxx, Troy X5, Musketeer Advantage

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP Goldmaxx, Troy X5, Musketeer Advantage
July 14, 2012 08:26AM
Ok - of the three listed which would you choose for coin. Which for Relic.

The most expensive used is the Troy, followed by the Goldmaxx and the least expensive is the Musketeer.

I have read good things about all three - my gut tells me the Goldmaxx is the one - second detector for me and my sister.

Would like to hear opinions from the Pros.

Bryanna

P.S. A Fisher 1266x just came up on the radar screen as well.
Re: XP Goldmaxx, Troy X5, Musketeer Advantage
July 14, 2012 08:42AM
XP GMP...... by far......... for both relics and coins.
July 14, 2012 04:30PM
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the response. After some further looking the XP Goldmaxx is a Mk1 not a Power. Not sure of all the differences will need to do some more homework.

Thanks Again

Bryanna
July 14, 2012 06:00PM
The Shadow X5 is one of my favorite machines of all time. A local hunting buddy of mine has one for sale right now with 3 coils for $500 and I want it so bad I can't hardly stand it. Deep iron fooled it but that thing went deep, was easy to set and just fun to use.

I had the Musky for a little while and it never grew on me. For a Minelab, its build quality was very cheap looking and feeling...almost like a heavy version of a cheap kids detector.

Never used the XP so can't comment there.
July 15, 2012 02:57AM
Thanks Daniel - The Troy does seem to have a strong following. Not many good videos of it running but some very good write ups. Do you think it would do OK hunting 10 inch silver dimes?

All of the Detectors I listed are known for good depth and fast response. I think have a Fast response detector to complement my slow response Sovereign is not a bad idea and something that is simple and straight forward like all of these makes sense. For my sister I can just turn up the Disc and tell if it beeps dig it.

I probably should of added the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero to the list because they fall in the same price range and are also deep, fast, and simple. I like things that are simple and work. I have a Jeep TJ it is simple and it just works. I am guessing that is why I walked away from the White's DFX some times more is not better.

Daniel - not sure if you ever used the Troy to hunt coins or not. If so how did you set her up?

Thanks

Bryanna

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Shadow X5 is one of my favorite machines of
> all time. A local hunting buddy of mine has one
> for sale right now with 3 coils for $500 and I
> want it so bad I can't hardly stand it. Deep iron
> fooled it but that thing went deep, was easy to
> set and just fun to use.
>
> I had the Musky for a little while and it never
> grew on me. For a Minelab, its build quality was
> very cheap looking and feeling...almost like a
> heavy version of a cheap kids detector.
>
> Never used the XP so can't comment there.
July 15, 2012 04:01AM
I mostly relic hunted with my X5. I do recall its strong suit being nickels though. That seemed to be the eyebrow raiser with it...some claimed getting 14-15 inches in air tests on nickels. The X5 was a very high priced unit for the time...not many people wanted to lay down a grand for a machine without target ID or tone ID. On top of that, in its heyday, not many people were doing the detecting videos like we do now. I set mine up in manual GB mode, and ran disc at 3 or 4. I'm gonna see if my buddy will let me do some relic trading for his X5...having all 3 coils would be worth having one again.
July 15, 2012 04:32AM
Bryanna

I'm sure you read it , but Tom did a detailed report on the XP GMP. I don't often hear Tom use the work spectacular, but I think he did with the XP.
He also mentioned that It is equal to the F75ltd but on different targets.
I think it would trump the X5, Muskateer and probable you GT except in wet salt water sand. It's lightning fast,has 3 tones and a very modulated audio and you can get a 11x24 cm elliptical coil for it which should be great in the trash.
Kieth Southern also speaks very highly of it, and is very familiar with the X5 so he can probably give you some great information on the two.
I have been thinking of getting a GT after listening to critterhunter and reading some of his short novels(keep em comin) but after reading Tom's report I think the XP is the way to go.
If you buy it new it now comes with the same shaft as they use on the XP Deus.

good luck and happy hunting.

Tom
July 15, 2012 01:07PM
Bryanna,

I have never tested a XP GM (Mk 1). Only the GMP........... so I have no base-reference to know how the GM compares to the GMP. I speculate quite good........ but not as deep.
July 15, 2012 03:29PM
The X5 with a few different coils would be a good choice if the price is reasonable. The fact that it has a fixed ground balance option is a plus since it makes operating the unit very simple. Put it in fixed GB, discrimination at 3, sens 7-8 and be on your way.

Super simple unit to hand to some one and get them going. If you get one with the 7 inch coil, the person does not even need to know how to use the pin point button....show them how to X a target, and 99% of the time, the target will be smack dab in the middle of that coil. Great coil for coin hunting.

Put the 5x10 DD coil and it will be a super relic hunter, and even a dry/wet sand beach hunter.

Not as fast a recovery speed as an F75LTD ( having both units and doing testing in the field and test garden, the F75 LTD wins easily), but as far as simple, easy and sturdy, an X5 is a great all around unit. Especially when found at reasonable prices with a few coils.
July 15, 2012 08:36PM
FWIW, I've used the X-5 and Advantage extensively for both coin and relics and in widely varying ground conditions. I have no experience with the XP. All I can say is that I would recommend anyone give the X-5 a shot. It is a detector of a build quality and design features that I've never seen on any other non ID single tone detector. The extensive analog controls are more than just well thought out and easy to navigate. My favorite overall coil for it is the 10" DD, an opinion that Troy himself and quite a few others have agreed with. There are actually 4 coils available for it. The flexibility and diversity of possible setups can all be utilized given various conditions and desired targets. The two level coin check is very useful, especially when coin hunting in an area where the target signatures aren't skewed severely by the ground or masking objects. Other guys have given you a fair amount of info and I could go on and on, but if you enjoy checking out different detectors and especially ones that are "worthy" of your time, i.e. very productive, try out and learn a good X-5. I say "good" because there are some examples out there floating around that have been "tweaked" on by folks that don't know what they're doing which typically detracted from the normal performance level. It's a "one of a kind" so I'd say grab one while you can.
July 15, 2012 09:24PM
I think it is cool that older designs can still shine. Even with all of our new technology a good well built analog (or mostly analog) detector can still earn its keep. Thanks Buckeye for the reminder on that there are some Toys that may not be upto standards for one reason or another.

I also think the XP models are earning a lot of respect and they are not hard to set up either. They do have the advantage of of tone id which I do see as a plus. The XP Goldmaxx I was looking at turned out to be the version before the Power model so not sure how it compares looks very similar but may be better to seek out the power model. I had heard you can not buy the new models of the XP Goldmaxx Power because they do not meet FCC standards because they now come with Wireless built in and the FCC has not approved it. I am a little surprised by that since my first thought would be that they use the Same Wireless as the XP Deus, but maybe they just have not paid to get FCC approval since the Deus is doing so well. over here why muddy the waters with another detector. If I had 1500 burning a hole in my pocket I would probably add a Deus as a partner to my GT since I hear it is everything the XP Goldmaxx power is plus more.

Daniel - from what you said I think you should get the Troy X-5 detector from your friend. If I remember right the X-5 was built by Fisher for Troy and the other models X-? were built by Tesoro. I do not know if Tom ever Tested one or not. But three coils and the fact you know the machine make it sound like a good buy - assuming you can work out a good barter deal.

Hey Critter - if you read this do not worry I am a solid GT fan now. Still learning her ways but do very much like the detector. More then any other I have had. So I am only looking for something else to complement her. Fast response machines seem like the best to complement the GT.

If I could find a USED one at a steal - the F75LTD would be a great companion to the GT as well.

Thanks for all the responses so far. It is great have access to such an experienced group.

Bryanna
July 15, 2012 10:51PM
Yes....... Fisher Research Laboratory (in Los Banos, CA) built the Troy Shadow X-5's. Excellent build quality.
Owned one for several years. Same high-powered depth as the original CZ's and 1266-X's. Very deep, reliable, solid performance. The X-5 is not a 'coin' hunter; rather, a exceptionally good relic hunter. Not good in iron/carpets of nails....... Concentric coil masks too easily.
July 16, 2012 12:21AM
XP GoldMax Mk-1, 4 MHz and no wireless phones.
[www.xpmetaldetectors.com]

Bob
Nova Scotia
Omega w 11" & 5" DD, 10" Con.
Cibola, Compadre
6000/D GEB Coinmaster
July 16, 2012 01:20PM
Tom, when you had your X-5, was the DD coil available and did you put much time on it?
July 16, 2012 01:35PM
BG, My flagging the possibility of sub-par examples being out there was just an FYI, however, I can tell you also that I've had 6 different X-5's (2 new, 4 used) and the consistency of those unit's (as well as the dozens of X-5/X-3coils I've had) performances were literally clones of one another. Like with any used detector that one is buying, due diligence of the source and the unit's history can go a long way in avoiding problems.
July 16, 2012 03:26PM
BG -- I just bought a XP Deus on Saturday so my detecting play money is spent right now or I would for sure hop on the X5. If you're interested I will give you his email and you could pick up a really nice condition X5 for $500 with 3 coils. There is one on the classifieds of another forum for $600 something with 2 coils.
July 17, 2012 12:52AM
Yes........ the batch consistency of the X-5's were superb. Primarily hand built by the old Fisher (FRL).

No...... my unit did not have (nor did I) any DD coil(s) for the X-5.