Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Have you ever offered cash for permission to hunt

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Have you ever offered cash for permission to hunt
July 16, 2012 02:03AM
This couple, along with their children, are renting to own an a home built in 1901 in the historical district of my town. Probably no more than a quarter mile from where I found the gold dollar and the other assorted silver coins, bullets, relics, etc. This home is just two hundred yards from the schoolhouse that the Union Army burned after using it as a makeshift hospital during and after Shiloh. This couple has allowed me access to the back yard, which is sizeable, though I DO wish that they would cut their grass. I may cut it for them as I did for the owner of the yard where the gold dollar came from. I like to crop it close. LOL As low as my Husky 56 inch will go.
Anyway, the lady of the house (who's in charge of the finances) was outside as I made my way back to the vehicle. An impulsive thought crossed my mind as I greeted her. Said I: "If y'all decide that you ain't gonna ever metal detect the front yard (sizable and looks GOOD), I'll give ya a hunnerd dollars for permission to hunt it." She said that she doubted that they would ever even metal detect it and that she would talk to her boyfriend. I told her that I seriously doubt that I would get my money back, but that at least I would have a place to hunt for a while. And that it was worth it to me. (This family could USE a hundred dollars, what with school-time closing in, and the kids needing stuff) So it's not like I am making the rich richer. If they take my offer, I will probably be killing two birds with one stone. I will be helping a family that needs it, and I will get access to the front yard of an old house. I told her that I have NEVER offered that before, but that I am getting hard up for a place to hunt. What do y'all think. Have I used poor judgement? Or is it really a non-issue. Or.....'who really cares WHAT you do?'. LOL.................
Re: Have you ever offered cash for permission to hunt
July 16, 2012 02:08AM
Hey,its your money bud,haha. I think you may have put the thought " if Hess gonna give us $100 then there must be something really valuable here" in their head. Good luck
July 16, 2012 02:26AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey,its your money bud,haha. I think you may have
> put the thought " if Hess gonna give us $100 then
> there must be something really valuable here" in
> their head. Good luck
I thought about that and tried to head off that thinking by saying: "I seriously doubt that I will get my money back, because it's not like on the TV shows." I went on to tell her that the TV shows are NOT anywhere NEAR a true depiction of this hobby. I also told her that if I fund a cache of gold, I would split it with her.
Heck, I may have used poor judgement, but I seriously doubt that I would ever do it again. UNLESS of course, i somehow find out where a Confederate campsite was and asking permission has no good effect. I might possibly play the money card then. But that scenario is not at all likely. I mean, the campsites that I have found so far where simply found because I happened to have permission to hunt the place. Not because of any research that I had done.
July 16, 2012 02:57AM
deathray Wrote:
> Hey,its your money bud,haha. I think you may have
> put the thought " if Hess gonna give us $100 then
> there must be something really valuable here" in
> their head. Good luck

he! ehe! he! might hunt it themselves
dig everything good up,and then call ya to give ya the
go ahead! it's their property,they can do with it what they will!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 16, 2012 02:58AM
Sure hope this pay to metal detect isn't something that gets started. Where i live here in illinois a lot of record whitetail deer come out of my part of the state. Up until about 15yrs. ago you could hunt about anywhere if you knew the right farmer. Now most of this ground is leased to outfitters and they charge big money for people to hunt here. so alot of these people doctors, lawyers, judges etc. etc. come from different states to hunt here and the average joe cant afford it. I guess if down the road people start charging me to hunt there ground after 40 yrs. of metal detecting mine will be sold. Mike.
July 16, 2012 03:26AM
I have. Sometimes you run into people that are loaded anyway and say they don't need it. That's how the DIV hunts get on property that hasn't been hunted much or hunted at all except by brave/stupid night hawkers. When you make an offer of $250 a person for 350-400 people for a weekend of Diggin...when that kind of money talks, people start listening. Now I know they don't get all that money but a good portion if it does and they are happy and we are happy.

As mentioned by someone else....deer hunting is the same way here in TN and our big deer are few and far between. But now you can't find people to let you deer hunt because everywhere decent to hunt is leased out. And I hate being on deer leases lol
July 16, 2012 03:50AM
The little boy of 5 yrs old sits on his bike right beside me while I am hunting. I see his clothing situation. The yard (front and back) is not manicured, but how you would picture a family with several mongrel dogs on runs. They don't bite, but, lot of dogs. There is obviously no spare cash at the end of the month. I would give them a hundred dollars or more, merely on principle. And merely on the fact that one of my religion's primary duties is giving to the poor. Both of these folks work, but they obviously struggle. I am not, in the least bit regretful. I was! But now i'm not. I seriously doubt, considering that these two don't give a flip about this hobby, that I will be starting a trend. I fully believe that it IS, and WILL STAY an isolated case. Perhaps I should use more discretion on what I make a thread on this forum about. Oh, none of the replies have prompted me to regret starting this discussion, and maybe it will blossom into something, but likely it will die out and proceed to the bottom of the page. When I came in from hunting, I had made that proposition to her about three minutes earlier and the question that I first posted was running around in my brain. So, I figured that I would get a little feedback, and I did. And I totally appreciate it. It's not something that I would make a habit of (paying to hunt that is, NOT giving to the poor). And I mean no disrespect by calling those people poor. Being poor is not a derogatory state of being. It's just an unfortunate thing. I see it as a win win. They will get some much needed funds I assume, and, of course, I will have free run of the yard, and the fun that will provide. But a trend?????? Very very very likely not. Thanks y'all. Happy Hunting.
July 16, 2012 03:53AM
I too have considered such a move, but never did it. I have offered to hunt this one man's property only for my coin of choice. I even encouraged him to participate or watch. So far he's not taken me up on my offer. I would only give this advice. Sounds like this yard needs to be hunted numerous times with maybe different ground conditions too. The couple may think $100 for each time you hunt their yard. It's your dime-so good luck.
July 16, 2012 11:53AM
I have thought about it, never did it. A property always comes along.
If a person owns a 200 year old home, they are proud of it and like to talk about it's history, and I, for one, love hearing about it. When I come across these homeowners, a small bond forms because of like interests, I love old stone houses and barns. When I mention my hobbie, they almost always ask if I would like to detect their property...my answer is "Well..... if you insist, hey, easy on the arm".

Friends and family also have a big part in finding old homes to detect, especially my son and daughter. Pretty neat how they help the ole man out. I chuckle when my kids call me and say "dad!!, I got you permission or, I have this friend who says you can detect his/her old property, they said to give them a call, their number is xxx-xxxx, and here's the address......they know what's in the ground. They see what makes me like a kid again....can't beat that.
July 16, 2012 12:25PM
The problem lies in the fact that now you offered $100 to detect... the rest of the neighborhood will follow suit. I think it was a bad move in that aspect. I understand wanting to help the family but you could have offered to "SPLIT" what ever you find with them. If you find a gold piece, give them fair market value for it and help them in that manner. That way the rest of the town doesn't get greedy and you don't go broke. Just my opinion.
July 16, 2012 02:27PM
Liability has changed so much over the years as whether its deer hunting or detecting many places I used to hunt are now off limits and although I don't hunt anymore famers will not let you on their land not alone their front yard.Some well thought out posts on this initial post. The one that really struck me was the homeowner would feel must be something
very valuable in my front yard and your setting an example for other homeowners also. To each his own and your call but I would not even if I could afford to and as far as needy families I frequently give to charities and again if you wish to help out a family...your call detect or not.
Having said the above think about it if someone knocked on your door and asked you to detect your yard would you allow them( now thats the kicker)
July 16, 2012 03:06PM
As others have said, it's your dime. But there a whole lot of legit reasons listed above why offering someone $ to detect their yard is an awful idea.

Much better offering to split valuable finds, say finds worth over $100, after explaining that the odds of that happening is akin to winning the lotto. Emphasize the fun aspect of why you want to detect their property, and offer to let them hunt with you if you have an extra detector. Be friendly, polite, visually non-threatening and confident.

As others have said, offering cash actually gives you less chance of an OK because human nature is to think you must be expecting to find something valuable. The BS TV shows and media reports of treasure found stoke that perception.
July 16, 2012 03:46PM
mike from Illinois Wrote:
> Sure hope this pay to metal detect isn't something
> that gets started. Where i live here in illinois a
> lot of record whitetail deer come out of my part
> of the state. Up until about 15yrs. ago you could
> hunt about anywhere if you knew the right farmer.
> Now most of this ground is leased to outfitters
> and they charge big money for people to hunt here.
> so alot of these people doctors, lawyers, judges
> etc. etc. come from different states to hunt here
> and the average joe cant afford it. I guess if
> down the road people start charging me to hunt
> there ground after 40 yrs. of metal detecting mine
> will be sold. Mike.

This is happening in Ohio now. I love to bowhunt and lucky we have 260 acre farm but most folks who don't own land cannot find a place to hunt because of all the outside leasing..

Kevin
Sounds like ya got a real hot spot, maybe another gold coin will be coming.
cd
July 16, 2012 05:03PM
i have offered a hundred dollars a day to hunt a place here in corinth on salem road before but i know its there and alot of it so its not beyond me to offer money lol
July 16, 2012 05:29PM
Nope...I've never paid to detect...but have also never tried to detect private property either.

From your description...that sounds like a beaut of a place to detect.

With my upcoming trip to Roanoke I plan to knock on some doors...but don't anticipate offering cash. I'll offer to split anything of value.

Regards, Joe (California)
July 16, 2012 06:00PM
I heartily appreciate everyone's input. I also heartily disagree with the "you will be starting something bad". If one knew ALL the details, then one could draw different conclusions. But, my heart is totally cool with this. Like it or not, I am proceeding as planned. I did learn a lesson: I need to grow thicker skin before I make anymore threads like this. LOL Happy Hunting.
July 17, 2012 12:36AM
Kevin - You asked "what do y'all think, have I used poor judgement?" and a lot of us told you what we thought. It's got nothing to do with whether I or anyone else "likes it or not" Personally, I could care less if you offer money to detect sites. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine.

If you are upset by the responses, then you are correct...you need to grow thicker skin.

What you heard may not have been what you wanted to hear, but this is a non-advertiser sponsored site and the most straight shooting metal detecting forum there is.

You are going to get honest, unvarnished opinions. If you are looking for validation for your actions when others don't think they are a good idea, then you came to the wrong place.
July 17, 2012 02:29AM
Validation?? I bought a validated CZ-3D from Tom a few months back. But I knew good and well that I was opening myself up to criticism last night when I started this thread. I knew that there would be pros and cons. The only way to get thick skin is to read the opposing views. But growth comes better by spurts, not by gulping. This thread was headed to the bottom where it needs to go.
Again, I want to thank everyone for their input. And I appreciate especially those who can tactfully give their opposing viewpoint without getting personal. I'lll never grow skin thick enough for that. I simply will pass it by and consider the source. I have seen both sides very clearly. And I have not changed my mind. But thanks all the same. Now, let's talk about the possibilty of a new Fisher coming out. There are many more topics on fire right now that needs responses. Let's give this one a rest.
July 17, 2012 03:03AM
I've offered to mow yards for detectng rights with much success.
Offering $$, it must have a great history to go for that.
However.....I would still offer to mow it.
Good luck............see ya yardhunter
July 17, 2012 03:41AM
I offer to give them the gold and I keep the silver.
July 17, 2012 04:09AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Liability has changed so much over the years as
> whether its deer hunting or detecting many places
> I used to hunt are now off limits and although I
> don't hunt anymore famers will not let you on
> their land not alone their front yard.Some well
> thought out posts on this initial post. The one
> that really struck me was the homeowner would feel
> must be something
> very valuable in my front yard and your setting an
> example for other homeowners also. To each his own
> and your call but I would not even if I could
> afford to and as far as needy families I
> frequently give to charities and again if you wish
> to help out a family...your call detect or not.
> Having said the above think about it if someone
> knocked on your door and asked you to detect your
> yard would you allow them( now thats the kicker)

"
in a word! NO!" this is why ya get turned down.no one wants ya on their property!
it's a "liability" issue! people in general are "paranoid" about ANY stranger
being on their property period,unless,of course they "know" you!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 17, 2012 04:26AM
Kevin - You can't just start a thread like this and then expect others to "give it a rest" when you tire of it or the responses aren't what you want to hear.

You started this thread. And you specifically asked for the opinions of others.

You said you appreciate those who gave their viewpoint without getting personal. Despite what you insinuated with your "consider the source" remark, I don't see where anybody attacked you personally. Some of us, myself included, thought your idea was a bad one and said so. A differing opinion does not constitute a personal attack.
July 17, 2012 04:37AM
marcomo Wrote:
> Kevin - You can't just start a thread like this
> and then expect others to "give it a rest" when
> you tire of it or the responses aren't what you
> want to hear.
>
> You started this thread. And you specifically
> asked for the opinions of others.
>
> You said you appreciate those who gave their
> viewpoint without getting personal. Despite what
> you insinuated with your "consider the source"
> remark, I don't see where anybody attacked you
> personally. Some of us, myself included, thought
> your idea was a bad one and said so. A differing
> opinion does not constitute a personal attack.

Marcomo, please keep on topic. Your posts are starting to constitute a hi-jack. Evidently you have made "putting me in my place" your personal crusade. Unless you are moderating this forum then please go play elsewhere.
July 17, 2012 04:41AM
jmaryt Wrote:
> Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Liability has changed so much over the years as
> > whether its deer hunting or detecting many
> places
> > I used to hunt are now off limits and although
> I
> > don't hunt anymore famers will not let you on
> > their land not alone their front yard.Some well
> > thought out posts on this initial post. The one
> > that really struck me was the homeowner would
> feel
> > must be something
> > very valuable in my front yard and your setting
> an
> > example for other homeowners also. To each his
> own
> > and your call but I would not even if I could
> > afford to and as far as needy families I
> > frequently give to charities and again if you
> wish
> > to help out a family...your call detect or not.
> > Having said the above think about it if someone
> > knocked on your door and asked you to detect
> your
> > yard would you allow them( now thats the
> kicker)
>
> "
> in a word! NO!" this is why ya get turned
> down.no one wants ya on their property!
> it's a "liability" issue! people in general are
> "paranoid" about ANY stranger
> being on their property period,unless,of course
> they "know" you!
>
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

Exactly. Noone wants a stranger on their land. Heck, you can't even turn around in a driveway without someone coming to watch you through the window.
Would you want someone picking berries, walking their dog, or detecting on your land? What a good question.
I have a family picnic and I am concerned of the damage done from the activities.
I don't know if any of you follow Go4Ever's hunts on the other forums. This guy claims he is always on someone's property after door knocking.
He must be the "George Bailey"-high school hero or something. I have gotten turned down practically every time I asked to hunt on private property.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:42AM by Coilfishing.
July 17, 2012 04:52AM
yeah! this is unfortunate! people DO manage to get permission
but i have been turned down just about every time i have asked,
AND i present my self properly! i find it very discouraging,but entirely
understandable!.in my experience,,people in general, are just too 'touchy"
about it,so i stick to research,and public places!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 04:58AM by jmaryt.
July 17, 2012 05:20AM
Kevin, my posts are on topic...the topic you started.

I have no intention of going elsewhere, and no desire to "put you in your place."

Despite your snide remarks, I would never condescendingly suggest that you leave this thread or this forum and "go play elsewhere"

What I can't understand is why you would ask for opinions if you are going to get upset when you get them. And why you would think someone with a different opinion is personally attacking you.

If you are going to get offended anytime someone thinks one of your ideas is not an effective one than I'll again suggest that you take your own advice...and "grow thicker skin"
July 17, 2012 06:10AM
Coilfishing Wrote:
> jmaryt Wrote:
> -----
> > Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Liability has changed so much over the years
> as
> > > whether its deer hunting or detecting many
> > places
> > > I used to hunt are now off limits and
> although
> > I
> > > don't hunt anymore famers will not let you on
> > > their land not alone their front yard.Some
> well
> > > thought out posts on this initial post. The
> one
> > > that really struck me was the homeowner would
> > feel
> > > must be something
> > > very valuable in my front yard and your
> setting
> > an
> > > example for other homeowners also. To each
> his
> > own
> > > and your call but I would not even if I could
> > > afford to and as far as needy families I
> > > frequently give to charities and again if you
> > wish
> > > to help out a family...your call detect or
> not.
> > > Having said the above think about it if
> someone
> > > knocked on your door and asked you to detect
> > your
> > > yard would you allow them( now thats the
> > kicker)
> >
> > "
> > in a word! NO!" this is why ya get turned
> > down.no one wants ya on their property!
> > it's a "liability" issue! people in general are
> > "paranoid" about ANY stranger
> > being on their property period,unless,of course
> > they "know" you!
> >
> >
> > (h.h.!)
> > j.t.
>
> Exactly. Noone wants a stranger on their land.
> Heck, you can't even turn around in a driveway
> without someone coming to watch you through the
> window.
> Would you want someone picking berries, walking
> their dog, or detecting on your land? What a good
> question.
> I have a family picnic and I am concerned of the
> damage done from the activities.
> I don't know if any of you follow Go4Ever's hunts
> on the other forums. This guy claims he is always
> on someone's property after door knocking.
> He must be the "George Bailey"-high school hero
> or something. I have gotten turned down
> practically every time I asked to hunt on private
> property.

I guess maybe it depends on what part of the u.s. you live in. Where i am located here in illinois it consist mostly of small farming communities. I have been metal detecting 40yrs. this past march and i can only think of being told no 4 or 5 times. 90% of my hunting is farm fields where fairs, campmeetings, etc. were held. I never call, i always like to talk to the owner face to face. A lot of the times their surprised to learn these places are located on their ground. they have never asked for any of my finds but just ask me to stop by and show them. the more door knocking i done over the years the more at ease i became with it. I can shoot the b.s. with the best of them and i think they enjoy this.
July 17, 2012 11:07AM
I often "offer cash" for permission to hunt... technically speaking. I nearly always ask if the homeowner has a young child or grandchild that might help me find buried treasure, then I'll guarantee that we'll find a coin at least 100 years old. A crusty Indian Head will often suffice (what better way to pass them on?)

It's not always what you find but rather the journey to get there.
July 17, 2012 11:39AM
The way a person asks permission is a whole tactic in its own right. I've been metal detecting for 16 years this year and I can think of only 3 times I've been told no. 3 out of a crapload of sites I've been given permission for. We spend so much time here discussing new products and how to get the most out of our detectors...when we overlook the most critical of all...gaining access to sites to hunt. I will say this...if you are getting told no and turned down practically every time you ask....you aren't doing something right. You can play the blame game all you want but when you look over the whole situation, I bet there are some things you are doing that you aren't even aware of. If we define the problem...problem being "being told no by nearly all landowners" then we must try to figure out the causes of the problem. It is either:

A. -- A bunch of greedy landowners
B -- The person asking

As I said...asking permission is a tactic. You can go to somebody's door dressed nice (that helps a lot) but it's your body language that they mostly watch and listen to. Put yourself in their shoes...if a vehicle you didn't recognize came into your drive way, and someone you didn't know knocked on your door and you go answer the door...the second you open the door and look at them, your mind begins processing info about them. You watch their behavior/body language...and you want to know what they want. If that person is nervous and is tripping over their words...it is going to make you very uneasy around them. If you aren't good at talking to people...then you need to find a hunting partner that is, and leave the permission part up to them, OR learn to talk to people.

It's all about being charasmatic. Have you ever been around those kind of people that know no strangers? They can be the new person on their first day on the job or at a social event, and within seconds, they make you feel comfortable and have you talking to them like you've known them forever..and they are like that with everybody. That is the kind of thing that is going to open doors to you in getting permission. Those first few seconds after the landowner comes to the door are going to determine whether they tell you yes or no. I have a relic hunting buddy that is a good case example here. He is a good guy...he's just not very charasmatic and he doesn't handle pressure well. I found this out one day when we were trying to get a new spot...someone he worked with had basically done all the leg work for him on a piece of land we had been wanting to hunt. So since he knew the person that got him that far, it was his ballgame. We pulled into the driveway and the homeowner was out in the yard...and came over to his truck. That's when I figured out my buddy wasn't good at talking to people he didn't know...he was immediately nervous and began tripping over his words. His body language was making the person in the yard uneasy...just due to him being nervous. This was going bad FAST...and then once he blurted out that he knew so and so....the landowner got a tad calmer and thus calmed my buddy too...and we were able to hunt. Had it not been for that...we would have been told no and the landowner would have probably retreated to the house to strap on a pistol just in case those folks came back lol

Charasmatic people have one thing in common...confidence. It takes confidence...don't be arrogant...confident and arrogant are two different things. Look people in the eye...if you are talking to somebody, be looking them in the face and in the eye. Some folks can't do that...my buddy is one of them. And let me tell you...when folks appear nervous and wont look you in the eye when they talk...it gives me the impression that they are "up to no good or up to something" and thus that is how other landowners take it as well. Look at them when you're talking to them and look at them when they are talking to you.

Of the times I've been turned down, all of them were when I first started trying to get permission. One time I had done all this research on this place...had copies of period maps of the site, had print outs of the land by satellite, etc...and I thought having all of this would help get me on the site. I was nervous...knocked on the door and immediately started giving them way too much info about their property. I made THEM nervous by having photos from space of their property...showing their house and vehicles parked in the drive. Looking back on that now days makes me chuckle lol I learned a lot about knocking on doors from my uncle...who is exactly the kind of person I described above....knows no strangers, and is very charasmatic. He could knock on a complete stranger's door and probably get them to cook him a meat loaf and mashed taters for dinner. He's just that way...I began watching him from the truck when he would go ask people...and listening to how he done it. I don't think he's ever been turned down to hunt a place. He usually ends up getting more places to hunt from just talking to the landowners that he just met. My other learning point was being part of a Baptist church that had a great visitation program. We would meet at the church every Tuesday evening and go out into groups of 2-3 and go out to tell folks about Jesus and invite them to church. I learned a LOT about knocking on doors doing that. We would often just go into a subdivision or a trailer park and go start knocking on doors and talking to folks. By being able to go with other people that were more experienced and seeing how they talked to people...I began to see a common theme in talking with folks. People are just people. It don't matter how much money they have or what part of the country they are from....people are people. How you act and speak in the first 15-20 seconds after making contact with the landowner, is going to make or break you as far as getting permission goes.
July 17, 2012 12:09PM
It is a different ball game here in NE PA!!! People here don't want to be bothered, PERIOD. I have noticed from reading posts on many forums that people from the South are much more likely to allow detecting. I have tried every trick in the book trying to gain access to good parcels to detect and the answer is almost always "No". It's not just me either. People in our club have the same problem too. I have better chances to get permission to hunt than detect for some reason. Not sure if it is the fact that hunting is a known thing vs. detecting is not as popular but it is tough. The impression is people fear you will get "rich" off of them. Offering to split the items I find doesn't help. Asking if there is anything I could find for them ie. a lost ring or something... nope. I'm convinced people in the northeast are way too uptight... period! One person I asked to detect their property said "No, people don't respect my 'No Trespassing' signs so you can't detect either". I said, "But I am respecting your signs that is why I am asking for your permission". She understood and thanked me for doing so but still said no. I thanked her for her time and gave her my card and told her if there is ever anything I can do to help her, just give me a call. I even offered to bring another detector and let them hunt too... still no. It is really frustrating to constantly be turned down.