Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

AT PRO silver for sure? or only a e trac

Posted by MEXICO 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
AT PRO silver for sure? or only a e trac
July 16, 2012 10:13PM
i see many detectors that have the E TRAC have an 80% idea that for sure it will come out ass silver with just seeing the numbers at the screen.

is there a way to be 50% sure it will come out silver with the AT PRO?
Re: AT PRO silver for sure? or only a e trac
July 16, 2012 11:49PM
Nope, the tones and VDI are the same for aluminum, big bronze, big copper 80-99. If you raise the coil off the ground and if the signal is still there at 6" or higher it's a big item.

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"
July 17, 2012 03:33AM
There is no easy,magic wand to find only silver and gold. The minelabs May be the best for deep turf silver,but no matter what,you gotta pay your dues and.learn your machine. I found 3 silver dimes with the ATPro yesterday,but I worked for them. Good luck,and don't expect toouch,just enjoy the hobby,and learn your detector.
July 17, 2012 04:59AM
I usually have a good hunch before I dig silver with the AT Pro.

Definitely more than half the time I dig a silver I think it's got a good chance to be silver before I dig it. I keep track of my silver finds, but not specifically which detector I used while finding them. But, based on the fact that the AT has done the vast majority of my hunting since I got it in May of 2011, I know I am well over 150 silvers with the AT Pro.

The digital signature on my AT Pro for most "modern era" silver dimes is in the 83-86 range. If most of the numbers displayed on multiple sweeps aren't in that range, than it usually isn't a silver dime. Likewise, my "modern era" silver quarter signature is usually in the 89-92 range. Most clad coins will not primarily hit in those ranges, although it's not unusual to see clad upper numbers bouncing in the bottom of those ranges. 85 is a strong signature number for modern silver dimes. Low 90's for modern silver quarters. Those numbers are on my detector, in my soil, with the stock 11" coil. My impression is that my 5X8 coil silver signatures are similar, but I haven't used it enough to say definitively.

The caveat is not all silvers hit like this. Especially older silver. As Tom has written about extensively, older coins will often hit lower on the conductivity scale than newer coins of the same metal.
July 17, 2012 12:34PM
Canadian silver coins give different readings than American coins on the AT-Pro.

Tiny silver fishscale nickels: 73-78
Modern silver dime: 80-83
Modern silver quarter: 82-85

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 11:24PM by TheGeorgiaCanuck.
July 17, 2012 01:14PM
One new dime is basically identical to another new dime...75-150 years ago they did not have the precision or quality control and this is not the case with old silver also seems to me they were in circulation longer causing wear on some which further adds to differences.

I might add Explorer series gives a lot of info thru the cursor movement, number and tone whereas you have a better idea if its silver.

Also noticed with Sov's silver just gave a more mellow tone than clad in the high coin range and imagine other that have learned there unit well may have noticed a difference in audio or perhaps a higher or lower ID number.

Sorry never used an AT pro and perhaps an avid AT pro user can add to the thread but in most cases its a crapshoot at best clad or silver.
July 18, 2012 02:03AM
thanks... to all and have fun.