Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

You & Your Detector Can Find Things No Others Will, & Have Virgin Sites To Hunt, Just By Walking Into Your Local Park With The Right Attitude & Digging What Others Simply Can't, Or Should I Say Won't...

Posted by critterhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Not because of any special abilities, and it's not because other detectors can't find those same targets...It's because 99% of all other hunters simply won't dig targets that are further down the scale of conductivity. Think about it. There is a vastly more broad spectrum of targets, from just above iron all the way up to just below a penny, than there are targets above that in the "coin" range. Even the best among us who do dig all those "odd" VDI #s are guilty of passing on most usually. Sure, there are exceptions. I know of one guy who prefers to hunt in all metal and dig every single signal including iron. Then there are those die hard relic hunts (usually in civil war areas) who also dig any and all targets on the entire spectrum of the conductivity scale, from below coin all the way down to iron.

Just a thought for people. When you get depressed about all your favorite sites being "worked out" or that you can an only afford to own a "cheap" machine, why don't you got to a site with the attitude that nobody has really hunted it yet? Why don't you go there with the attitude that there is a bounty of targets just waiting for somebody to dig them for the very first time at that old "dead" spot? Not only will you be finding odd old coins that read much further down the scale (gold coins as well as numerous other types that simply read well below penny), but even silver coins that for some odd reason read lower than they should (due to ground minerals, being masked, being worn, being on edge, dry conditions, etc), along with cool things like tokens, gold rings, buttons, and various other great finds and relics that everybody else simply has passed over thousands of times at that "pounded out site" and just simply refuse to dig.

And, on top of all that, how many coins do you think might be laying underneath all that "garbage"? No machine can see past the first metal target in it's detection field, even if that deeper coin is well off to the side of the shallower metal object. The first thing the field hits is what it will see. That's just the nature of the limits of VLF technology. Heck, a lot of my "pounded out" sites still have tons of one way or iffy coin signals that could easily be a silver coin that is giving a bad signal for one reason or another. Most people won't even dig those, or at least will only dig them if they are say 70% "there" in terms of quality. Why don't you start digging those bad coin signals that are only 10% "there" and you might be surprised at just what they turn out to be.

So the next time you are sitting around racking your brain for a spot that hasn't had all the "easy" coin signals picked out of it, or the next time you wander at the same old spot for hours just looking for that classic deep potential silver signal, why not stop wasting time like that and just do what most people simply won't do- DIG! In a way you've got a whole world of "untouched" sites out there just waiting for you as the only person on this planet for the most part who is really hunting them. You don't have to dig the iron signals if you don't want, but even not digging those but digging everything else on the conductivity spectrum you are a hunter above all others, with a machine above all others...Bought for $40 at Walmart or costing many hundreds of dollars, that will do things no other man and his machine can, or should I say will...
I agree and that's why I find some of the stuff I do, it's no where near the VDI # it's suppose to be at, I even dig iron to see what type it is a lot of time at site I have gone over and over, and surprised what pops out
I met and hunted with an elderly gentleman a few years ago that used one of those cheap $50 radio shack detectors. He had over 12 years experience with the same beep dig machine. He could hunt circles around me and my Tesoro machine of only 1 year experience. He would dig targets that I thought would be trash and out would pop a gold ring or coin of some sort. He even went as far to say, " I never dig nails, I can tell if it is a nail" ?? I questioned that statement many times. I learned a lot from him until one day when I was hunting behind him and got a 6+" deep nickel signal and out popped a buffalo. I of course had to call him over to see what I'd found and after that he never wanted to hunt with me again. I always figured his machine lacked the needed sensitivity to detect at that depth. I have to admit I called him over to brag and it back fired on me. Lost a book of metal detecting experience that day.
Lesson learned.
Since that day I never show my detecting buddies what I find unless they ask or at the end of the hunt.
Certainly original post was a truism but too many holes and that local park will soon be off limits...I myself encourage selective digging in other words dig the oddball audio and
meter readings and leave the 3 or 4 consistent tab reading lie and you will increase your chances of finding what others miss while leaving the landscape intact and park open to hunt another day.
Now if you are in the boonies with a shovel be it for relics or old coins if it beeps dig it as thats the way gold coins, jewelry, oddball coins, and valuable belt buclkes and buttons see the light of day.
Detectors all have discrimination and the operator is the second discriminator and how they both are used has a lot to do with what ends up in our pouch while keeping the landscape intact.
CH as long winded as you are I like your thoughts and ideas you post, I get deep into them. That is exactly what made my finds of gold and silver go up this past winter and early spring with the GT. If it makes a click or clack or any kind of conductive noise it got dug period. I was going to find out what gave the signal. Much to my surprise I came away from one small old freshwater beach with 11 gold rings, several silver medalions and silver coins. Your thoughts/instructions have tons of merit and I highly advise them to the robust hearty guys and gals. You will be surprised more times than not I'm sure digging it all. This is just some of the stuff from this area.........

Loaded and nobody knew it! It had been hunted by quite a few detectors but they missed a lot of old old pulltabs, The GT sniffed them out.............click, crackle, pop, all amongst the nulling of the machine.
If nothing else it gets the trash removed. Back in the olden days before disc. a detectorist had to dig everthing, and
I found a lots of goodies doing it, but that was before pulltabs and can slaw..
Jack, Wow, some great finds there! How are you liking that GT compared to your Etrac? I remember I think it was you a while back that said the GT was finding stuff no other Minelab you've owned would so long as you worked the ground real slow. I think you said it often would be completed nulled out but still sound through on targets that your Etrac or Xterras just didn't see due to your unique ground mineralization?

Yes, I agree...be careful digging a bunch of holes at a public site. What I do when in that mood is to work a small area and try to use a screwdriver to pop all the shallower stuff and only dig what I have to. Still, I'll dig the most solid hits first, then come back a month or two later when the ground has healed and dig some more, and if the plugs are getting too much then I'll wait another month or two and finish off the job.
CH I traded the ETrac for a second Excalibur II about 6 months or so ago maybe more. Got the GT about a year ago and the ETrac sat motionless for a long time. The GT is my detector of choice and is awesome for any type of hunting, ESPECIALLY the beaches. Ain't nothing any better imo. Now I am going to see what my Deus will do on the freshwater beaches I hunt. That should be interesting............. Love the GT CH, the ETrac cannot hold a candle to it once you learn the language. Most don't learn the language of the Minelabs if you ask me. The GT speaks lovely words through my RAT phones..................