Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Eye Opener

Posted by techman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Eye Opener
August 11, 2012 06:57PM
I'm sure this is old news to you that are out hunting all the time, but it was an eye opener to me......I finally bought a 5" coil for my CZ3D [tuned by Tom] and toughed out the HOT weather to try it out in my yard. I've looked in the back yard a fair amount and thought I had picked up most of the surface change. At first the 5" seemed inadequate to cover any ground, but I worked with it and immediately started getting some obvious good signals. In short, after about a half hour I had already found about 8 pennies [all around 2 inches]. I could have understood missing a few with the 8" coil, but not 8 surface coins! I know there is a fair amount of junk back there, so I run the machine on 0 discrimination and listen for all tones always. I guess I am surprised how many coins must have been masked by nearby iron [probably nails, etc, since my home is only about 20 years old] with the larger coil. I think I am really going to enjoy this 5" coil. I turn the sensitivity up to 7 or 8 to open the footprint up some when general searching. I can turn this machine up to 10 and it will remain stable, unless there is AC or phone wires in the ground or power lines near. My front yard is terrible this way, even the 5" freaks out on the lowest setting because I have 220 vac, 440 vac[or higher] and phone wiring in the ground. Just thought I would confirm what others here have said, that the CZ with a 5" coil is effective!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 08:41PM by techman.
Re: Eye Opener
August 11, 2012 08:19PM
Where did you get a 3" coil? I figured the Fisher 5" was the smallest one available.
August 11, 2012 08:40PM
Of course, you are right! It just seemed so much smaller when I got out there. Indeed, it is a 5". I will edit my post. Thank you for pointing out my error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 08:43PM by techman.
August 12, 2012 02:48PM
Remember with the 5 inch( hockey puck) you can usually run sens. higher and really get some nice depth. Invaluable for trashy areas and places where other coils won't go.

Sure lightens the load and teaches you what ovelapping is really all about. Don't leave home without one or an extra pair of headphones and digger..

Whoops skeeter repellent also as they can be nasty at times....
August 13, 2012 12:32AM
I like those fishers, and am intrested in the 1270,