Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dreams Dug, NEW article / gallery by Thomas Dankowski.

Posted by wildwally1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dreams Dug, NEW article / gallery by Thomas Dankowski.
August 12, 2012 07:54AM
There are several things that can make a coin rare/valuable. This photo gallery, presented by Thomas Dankowski and exclusively on dankowskidetectors.com, shows examples of criteria that makes seemingly mediocre coins valuable. To view this article / photo gallery, click the link below.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
Re: Dreams Dug, NEW article / gallery by Thomas Dankowski.
August 12, 2012 12:45PM
"Click" on each photo........ and it'll go full screen. Then "click" on the same photo again...... and it'll zoom in even further.

Also............ if you want to comment on this new article............ try to keep the comments on this one 'common' thread.
August 13, 2012 09:49PM
This is a lifetime of great finds for anyone!

The 42/1 dime looks undug and thus would command a premium price (not cleaned). The 18/17-s quarter appears to be a very high grade specimen. Most Standing Liberty quarters that saw circulation have had the dates won off, especially those from the early 20's that were not always struck-up under full pressure.

Is the 1916 a Denver product? How many of the (1909) VDB pennies have the coveted "S" mintmark on the obverse?

The v-nickels are one of my favorite series to collect. It's a shame they always come out of the ground heavily corroded. I'll share a few pics of an old set I've completed that my dad started fifty years ago. Your 1885 is the "King" to the series!
August 13, 2012 11:59PM
My jaw is still dropped open...

I'm still looking for a key date. But your article about the odds being good for key dates dropped before coins were widely collected makes a lot of sense and gives me hope for the future.

The closest I've come so far is a 1909 VDB (no S) and a really worn 1916-S merc that no matter how hard I tried wouldn't morph into a "D"

I think you might have some potential in this hobby, Tom!
August 14, 2012 01:31AM
Amazing coins...just amazing.

Can't see the mint mark on the Barber half, in your photo...but INCREDIBLE coins!

Steve
August 14, 2012 02:48AM
(((Limited time response))):

Very good observations thus far.......... with good questions. Amp DATA:

Only ONE of the V.D.B.'s is a 1909 S V.D.B.

The 1918 S 8/7 Standing Liberty Quarter was found by a friend (Sanford, Florida)....... two days after some one-on-one training. It grades VF-30. Then........... sacrilege to the hobby......... he sold it (for $7000.00 cash)..... a few weeks after finding it. (((He did not need the money))).

I found the 1885 'V' nickel at Daytona Beach (12-feet deep)....... after 3 hurricanes ripped away a nominal 11-foot to 14-foot depth of sand. The nickel is unrestored......... as can be witnessed by the sand abrasion. (((Also...... on the same day........ I found a badly delaminated/salt-destroyed 1916 D Mercury dime))).

The 1916 is indeed a 'D'........... and is AU-58.

The Barber dime is 1898 S ....... with a 'rolled die imprint error' on the reverse.

The Quarter Eagle is 1843 O, Small Date, Crosslet 4........ with a die break where it states 2 1/2 D.
August 15, 2012 02:40AM
Awesome finds.
September 02, 2012 01:56PM
Love those V-Nickels:

Set is complete. All coins grade original, uncleaned, XF-AU with the 1885 being an AU53 or AU55.

I love Buffs too and have a similar XF-AU set.
September 03, 2012 02:03AM
How ironic! I just found another 1885 'V' nickel a couple of hours ago. Will (probably) post photos soon. The condition of your 1885 is VALUABLE!!!!
September 03, 2012 02:08AM
Congrats on the 1885 Tom...Cant wait to see pic's.!!!

Keith
September 03, 2012 09:08PM
Whoo, weird. As seldom as V nickles come out, I too found one today at an old home site. 1900. Not in the greatest of shape, what do you use to clean up the 'environmentally damaged' ones?

Gary
September 03, 2012 09:38PM
((( 100% nitric acid........ paying exceptional attention to the 'thermal curve' of the nickel )))
September 05, 2012 12:27PM
Hi-res photo of the newest rare coin (1885 'V' nickel) is now posted/up-loaded to this home-page article. The coin is completely uncleaned/unrestored...... fresh out of the dirt. I may decide to NOT clean this coin.
September 06, 2012 12:51AM
Boy that '85 is in nice shape... probably a F-VF grade for wear. I can't believe it's not dark grey or pitch black. It appears like it was lost around the turn of the 20th century.

The pitting is obvious so I don't think there's anything to be lost by giving it a judicious cleaning. I've got a solution of 10% nitric acid but never found that to be effective on nickel. Maybe a higher concentration would work better???

I like electrolysis on nickels. The process yields a soft grey finish and neutralizes any active corrosion that might be present. Sure, the pitting will still be there but at least there isn't a bloom growing out of the coin's surface. Plus, you can easily control the intensity of the electrolysis by varying the amount of base in solution.

A super find nonetheless!
September 06, 2012 01:57AM
Hey Tom that is a nice un for for sure...

I would leave it alone myself....

If you ever sold it the buyer would no exactly what he was getting and it's also in the ARTIFACT category And I like the patina myself...

Good one ..

Keith