Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEW BEACH DVD comments thread

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: NEW BEACH DVD comments thread
September 01, 2012 12:13PM
H-P .... you are most certainly welcome. That's the entire intent of these DVD's..... is to dramatically reduce the learning-curve time...... in addition to increasing overall success/performance........ AND to increase the 'fun-factor'.

Cliff.......... yes, absolutely. There was a 15-minute water break and equipment change-over......... then commenced the hunt with the GB-II directly behind the CZ-3D (in the 'enhance') mode..... nearly in my exact same footprints .... in the same volleyball court. The CZ will not pick up the 14-Kt ( .585 ) white gold chain...... unless you scratch the bottom of the coil with it............ and the CZ must NOT be in the 'salt' mode. The 'salt' mode on any detector ..... kills gold detection performance........... especially on gold jewelry targets that are not rings.
September 02, 2012 04:19AM
Got my DVD and Love it. The first two things that jumped out at me were Green coins as an indication that a layer of sand had been stripped. Hunt till you drop in this situation as it could be like hunting almost virgin ground.
The second thing for me was speed of recovery. I don't do a ton of beach hunting, but will be doing more will be totally focussed on that aspect. The next time I watch it will be with a note book and the pause button.

Just a question. Were did you acquire the extra length lower rod?

Great work

Tom
September 03, 2012 02:00AM
Tom,

Fisher/First Texas has them. They are called 'Tall Mans' lower stems. 23", 30" and 37". Other brand lower stems sometimes work also.
September 03, 2012 06:01AM
Tom
Have a beach question. Have a beach that at low tide, from the towel line to the waters edge can be a 1/4 mile+.
How should I break this beach down to hunt it. It's a very gentle slope and at high tide you can probably walk about the same distance in waist deep water. I'm 6' 1"

Thanks
September 03, 2012 09:35PM
Tom............ this may sound like a fair amount of work (if you can call it that)............ but ............ hunt the beach several times for a aggregate data collection-point............ until you start to see a mother-nature 'pattern' with where targets are generally found. DO THE SAME in the water! Then............. each time you go to the beach....... you will only need to verify where your troughs are (generally) at.

((( You knew I was going to say this! ))).
September 03, 2012 10:17PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank all of you for the positive comments.
> There is one thing I would really like to know:
>
> What are the TOP TWO ........ most
> meaningful/memorable/insightful/educational data
> that stands out the most....... that you 'gained'
> the most from?

Tom... the foremost educational piece of data that I gleaned from your video was that of target density and how targets set up in a trough.

The second piece of information which I was surprised to see and learn was the speed at which a CZ 3D/6A detector could be swung and still detect targets on a reliable basis.

Thank Tom... like the other videos you've made... this one was worth the wait. smiling smiley

-Rick
September 04, 2012 03:53AM
Tom
i new the would probably be the answer. Is the water hunting portion to verify that the target zone is not being covered by shifting sand with the tide change and wave action?
In the wet slope hunting portion of your video it appeared that your ration of good targets was a lot better than 40/1. Or was that due to the editing?

Thanks
Tom
September 04, 2012 03:36PM
If you are in the water...... you are trying to find 'stable' sand that can support heavy items........ AND....... that you can even find any targets....... verifying that a sandbar has not covered up the targets.

The wet slope hunting portion was indeed about a 40:1 ratio. Coins do not count as good targets. You are seeking to find costume jewelry and good (real) jewelry.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping that inland hunters can extrapolate good 'beach' data from this DVD........ and apply it to inland hunting. Specifically: inland sink-rate. The principles for sink-rate still apply at inland sites............. just at a substantially different rate. When it's raining...... wet dirt poses a sink-rate that is proportionate to the density of the item resting on the ground......... vs ......... the density of the dirt.
September 04, 2012 04:09PM
Thanks Tom
I was viewing coins as good targets. 40/1 is still pretty good if recovery speed is efficient!!!

Side note: Was watching a youtube video of a couple of guys beach hunting, I think on the gulf coast. I hope they discover your DVD. I have a long way to go to becoming a decent beach hunter, but at least I could
see most of their errors. Success is not random!

I have also prospect as a hobby, so I relate sink rate to bedrock and false bedrock(clay). I was at another beach last week, but not hunting, just after I watched the DVD for the first time.
When I stood at the waters edge and looked back to the towel line, it was at eye level. Im 6'1". The sand I was standing on was rock hard, the upper slope was not very stable.
If I drew a horizontal line to the towel line, I thought a high density item could sink 5-6 feet. I certainly look at the beach differently now and will tend to move location much faster if hunting conditions dictate.

Thanks

Tom
September 14, 2012 03:28AM
Tom

Is there ratio of good jewelry to junk jewelry? Did a couple of courts and got 5 pieces of junk, although one piece looked for a moment like that Tiffany piece in your vid. Heart stopped for a second.

Thanks
September 14, 2012 10:34PM
Well, I broke down and bought the disc. Yup, you've shortened my learning curve for sure! One thing I picked up quick was I was hunting to far down the slope. Yes, i still made some finds but they were few. Just the density stratification lesson was worth the price. Thanks alot!
September 16, 2012 01:26AM
Tom......... that "costume : real" ratio seems to be more dictated by.................. is it spring break (which is mostly kids losses -- costume -- )........ or the heat of summer traffic. My nominal average is 9:1. If I find nine costume items....... I know it's time to find a real one.

Eric......... glad to hear the DVD helped. Now you just need to find the time to go practice these new techniques!
September 15, 2019 11:32PM
Adding my two cents to this dated thread seems relevant as I was worried about buying this “dated” DVD, with possible dated information, and add in the fact that there is only one way for me to watch this at home, my son’s Xbox, which ment getting two hours to myself, a challenge. My thought process of, should I or shouldn’t I, was quickly not a factor once I looked at the value of this forum over the few years I have been here.. priceless information that Tom and some of the other vets give here, I appreciate the discussions and from time to time the arguments. So, even if the DVD ended up a dud, I wouldn’t feel like it was money wasted.

Now, about the DVD. I DID NOT make a mistake nor wasted my money.. the information in this dvd has opened new doors for me as to how I’ll approach this hobby going forward. I’m going to have to watch it again with a note book so I can further my learning on terms and ideas I’ve never heard before. Money well spent. Thanks Tom, watching your skills and listening to your knowledge was astonishing.
The only thing missing from this dvd, is an equinox in Tom’s hand.
Also, I was thinking about the shipwrecks under the dunes, does this mean that the manta/AQ might give us eyes into this? I’m ready to find out.

One last observation, and food for thought... imagine if Tom had time for his own YouTube channel, and live hunts. I’d “subscribe, comment and hit the bell”
September 16, 2019 05:38PM
Hi EdCT,

From the request of a metal detecting club...… they had asked me to review a certain portion of the DVD. I had not watched it in a long time. I was specifically looking for outdated material. . . . . only to verify/learn that the principles of physics do not change. Technology changes. (And has..... as I am hunting the beach with a different unit now). Some day...… there may be a paradigm-shift that may change some of 'how we look at' the principles of physics). In-works!
September 16, 2019 11:20PM
< (And has..... as I am hunting the beach with a different unit now).

Tom D, your CZ is weeping the closet. Do you at least peek in and say hi every now and again? drinking smiley
September 17, 2019 01:25AM
It DOES get some test-garden time. Head-to-head comparison testing. It is still the base-reference.
September 20, 2019 03:02PM
I've never hunted on a beach,but bought the video years ago and review it from time to time---just the info and other data is worth the price.
September 24, 2019 11:37PM
Hi Tom...I purchased your DVD earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I picked up some good tips and put them to use whenever possible.
Just finding it hard to duplicate your swing speed and stance! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks Bob K
September 25, 2019 12:34AM
Bob...….. try a MUCH longer lower rod! :-)